Strength training

Options
in my routine I work arms and chest on Mondays and Wednesdays back and shoulders on Tuesdays and Thursday's. Is it bad to do a compound exercise that incorporates muscle groups that I had done the day prior? I'm not sore or anything along those lines

Replies

• pittsingersg
    pittsingersg Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just me, but i do
    Monday: legs
    Tuesday: rest
    Wednesday: chest
    Thursday: back
    Friday: arms
    Saturdays: triceps and / or arms
    Plus cardio after each. We do 5 rounds, and since i don't lift to much weight i do 12 reps.

This gives your muscles recovery time. My boyfriend used to so the same thing you're doing until he read Arnold Swartsenager(?) Book on muscle and body building. And it gives you many different ways to work out depending on how often you can, breaks down meals... Even had a small section for women. Pretty great book.
  • pittsingersg
    Options
    I meant abs on Saturday not arms
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Where is legs?
  • pittsingersg
    Options
    Mondays
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
    What exercises and set/rep scheme are you doing?
    What is your eating like?
    How well are you sleeping?

• pittsingersg
    Options
    All great questions! If you read a body building book (even If you're not body building like the big boys) it will give you a lot of information that can be tailored to you
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    djland318 wrote: »
    in my routine I work arms and chest on Mondays and Wednesdays back and shoulders on Tuesdays and Thursday's. Is it bad to do a compound exercise that incorporates muscle groups that I had done the day prior? I'm not sore or anything along those lines

It really depends on what you want to accomplish. Proper setup of a good strength training program is more than just exercise selection, frequency, and sets & reps; it's also about load / intensity, tempo, rest, training blocks. If you're dedicating 4 days to upper body work then what are you dedicating to lower body?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just an FYI but when working chest you also hit triceps and shoulders, when doing shoulders you also hit tricpes. I would suggest if you want to keep a split do an upper/lower or push/pull, as in your current routine you end up hitting shoulder and tricps 4 days/week in your current routine which does not allow enough rest time.
    also arms work biceps and so does back, so you are hitting biceps 4 days/week, which is too much as well

You may also benefit greatly from strong lifts 5x5 or starting strength. If you have been lifting for a while and have a good strength base I would suggest Wendler 5/3/1
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    You talk to different people about this, and you'll get different answers on this. I'm new to strength training myself, but I've asked this question of my friends on MFP who've been lifting for some time. They encourage me to give my muscles a day of rest in between working the muscle groups (i.e. don't work the same muscles 2 days in a row). I personally do whole body workouts 3 days a week using the strength training equipment at my local Planet Fitness. It takes me about an hour each time.