Coffee Before Workout?

Options
Does it personally help you to drinkcoffee before you work out? is it bad to do this on an empty stomach (no food)?

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Kinda depends on you for the how it makes you feel. I don't drink any coffee until I am at work. I will eat an apple or banana and bowl of cereal when I wake up and by the time i get to the gym it has been an hour.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't usually do that, but it could be a good thing. Coffee is a source of potassium and caffeine is supposed to be good for workouts.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how your body reacts to Coffee

For me, my heart rate gets a little racy when I drink coffee, so it's normally not a good idea for me to drink coffee before a workout... However, I do know that if I did, I'd probably be running to the bathroom(lol). So either way, it's a no for me!

Everybody is different though. Some could drink it before a workout, some can't.

And if your body is OK without food before a workout, then go for whatever you're comfortable with. Everybody reacts differently to different situations... Try it out, see how you feel, and if needed, eat something light like a banana before a workout! :)

But in general, it's not a "bad" thing to have coffee on an empty stomach, and I haven't heard of any studies saying it's bad to drink coffee (and nothing else) before a workout... Try it out, listen to your body :)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Coffee, PB on toast n I'm off to the gym 3-4 days a week.
    Whatever works for you!
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, but I'm such a caffeine addict that nothing would get done without my coffee
  • fatgirlslimlady
    fatgirlslimlady Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I generally don't like to eat until several hours after waking up. If I exercise in the morning, I'm running on coffee and the splash of cream I put in there. I've never had a problem with it.

If I'm going for a long hike or x-c ski, I'll be hungry after 45-60 minutes if I start with an empty stomach, so I just make sure to bring plenty of snacks for the trail. But that's not the bulk of my workouts.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Ummm.. Only if I want to poop... LOL. Actually, there is some evidence I've read that drinking some coffee before a workout can really help (don't ask where, probably some magazine or something) performance and endurance.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Coffee before everything.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    :) above poster is accurate. coffee before workout good
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If my energy feels low then I'll have some coffee half an hour before working out. (That gives me enough time in case the coffee triggers a certain bodily function!)

I'll drink coffee on an empty stomach (in the morning) but I won't work out on a completely empty stomach (or one with just coffee) because I find it makes me nauseated. As such I usually have a light meal or snack 30-60 min before working out.

You'll just need to experiment and see what works best for you!
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Coffee on an empty stomach can cause some digestive problems. I don't like to feel like I'm about to crap myself when I'm lifting my heavy things. Just get a light snack in with your coffee and it makes for a great boost.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Coffee before everything.

Yes! Wouldn't have it any other way.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a couple cups of coffee in the morning I would never get out of my brain fog to be able to drive to the gym. For me it's a requirement.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    In the cooler months when I don't run until mid morning, I usually have a cup of coffee first, but otherwise I workout at home around 5am, or run at dawn in summer - I get up, get my clothes on and go, and have coffee with breakfast when I'm done.

I don't notice a difference with or without the coffee, I just like having it if I have the time on those mid-morning days. :smiley:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For me? Yes. No to the bad for the stomach.

For you? Who knows?
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    they serve coffee at the Y and I always show up about 15 mins before my 5.30 am workout and have myself a cup and for me, it helps. Like mentioned above, caffeine gives a boost, and potassium is great for muscle cramps. I know some folks that swear by working out on an empty stomach, and others that boost the protein with banana and toast. It's a personal thing really...
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Cold brew coffee in the morning is great, especially if you're concerned about stomach issues.
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee then work out before my family is awake, then we eat breakfast together. I find it gives me that boost I need.