Protein Shake during or after workout?

Options
I usually drink my protein shake after I work out but I was wondering if it's okay to drink it while working out, instead of water, sometimes?

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't know what difference it would ultimately make, so do what you want.

Personally, the idea makes me want to vomit if it is a cardio day. I don't even want to eat for an hour after I finish, I have no appetite whatsoever.
  • RageQuitP90x
    Options
    I have my full protein shake as either a morning snack or even a "lunchtime" meal. My actual lunch meal has a lot of carbs so I actually eat that closer to my workout. Carbs will give you the energy to workout.

Post workout in my opinion should be a mix of 4 carbs to 1 protein. My post workout I have 1 banana, 6 frozen strawberries, 1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 scoop of protein powder, 1/2 cup skim milk and ice. Blender for a few mins and enjoy.

Or in a pinch a glass of chocolate milk will due.
  • danielrobertoortega
    Options
    Drink it directly after your workout
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Meal timing means basically nothing. Drink it whenever you want.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I actually drink 1/2 of it 30 minutes before my work out and the other 1/2 30 minutes after. NO need to drink during the work out, the idea is to get carbs into your body for performance and protein after for recovery.

Drinking during does not give it time to digest for use.. and to me I would probably start feeling like vomiting through a vigorous workout..
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Ding, ding, ding!!!!!

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

+3