Should I bother lifting at the gym if I eat at a calorie deficit every day?

Options
Should I bother lifting at the gym if I eat at a calorie deficit every day?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you want to retain your lean body mass and/or get stronger, yes.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yes. It will get you faster to your vanity goals if you have any.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Yes! Lifting helps retain muscle mass so you lose mostly fat. Lifting helps strengthen bones and will help you look great naked so you won't look like a smaller version of your current body when you reach your goal weight.

Consider a program like Starting Strength, Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Also lifting gives you that special badass tingle that nothing else can.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    Yes! Lifting helps retain muscle mass so you lose mostly fat. Lifting helps strengthen bones and will help you look great naked so you won't look like a smaller version of your current body when you reach your goal weight.

Consider a program like Starting Strength, Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

its called testosterone.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ah yes...
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Years ago I lost weight and got to be thin like I thought I should be to look good. However, I didn't start looking as good as I wanted to until I started lifting.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Well, what is your ultimate goal?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Years ago I lost weight and got to be thin like I thought I should be to look good. However, I didn't start looking as good as I wanted to until I started lifting.

I think every person should read this. Its something I really notice about women who lift weights. The body composition changes for the better.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Staci @ nerdfitness...nuff said

7jnqfesqng8x.jpg
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Well it's good to know i'm not wasting my time then. I will continue to eat at a deficit and lift along with cardio.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    This!

SezxyStef wrote: »

7jnqfesqng8x.jpg
    And this!!

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    mochapygmy wrote: »

its called testosterone.

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of chalk dust and the magic sprinkles from the gainz fairy.

• kellyj0729
    kellyj0729 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    This!

SezxyStef wrote: »

7jnqfesqng8x.jpg
    And this!!

This!!! I spent all of 2014 doing cardio and eating at a deficit....got to my goal of 115 lbs from 142 lbs. Guess what?? I was just a smaller version of myself with still way to high BF %. I have spent 2015 upping my calories and hired a trainer to begin lifting heavy, and 8 weeks in I see more difference in my body, more definition and less flab, weight is about 130 lbs now. Have gone from 26.4% BF to 24.6%, and feel amazing. Good luck to you!
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yes! If there's one thing I regret it's that I didn't start lifting from the start.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Ultimate goal is to lose 25 more lbs but I want to be toned and fit when I do hit that goal.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the others - never too early to start!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Ultimate goal is to lose 25 more lbs but I want to be toned and fit when I do hit that goal.

Then yes. Keep lifting.