Butter replacement

Options
2»

Replies

• breezy0906
    breezy0906 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    berrr94 wrote: »
    What would be a good replacement when cooking instead of using butter? I know it's very fattening but I don't know what else to use! Help! :)

Have you tried Ghee? Its basically super refined butter. Its delicious and like half the fat and carbs. Great for cooking. I haven't tried it like spread on a piece of bread but its amazing for sauteing and grilled cheeses :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mmmmm butter

i use the no calorie non stick sprays a lot. just kind of depends on what it is.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    I actually live in Rome, but my husband's family come from Pulglia, in the south. Their sauces are alot lighter than the northern cooking. Once my husband (after a trip to my family in Minnesota) was spreading butter on a piece of bread and his brother, who is a cardiologist, just about went nuts. He said that habit wasn't a good idea. ;)
    Well, it's lifestyle and butter really isn't going to shorten your life when you factor everything in, but they continue to try and the status quo is a hard one to maneuver, no doubt about it. I believe they also consume the funny oil made from olives up in Rome.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now I have to go try me some ghee.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    breezy0906 wrote: »
    What would be a good replacement when cooking instead of using butter? I know it's very fattening but I don't know what else to use! Help! :)

Have you tried Ghee? Its basically super refined butter. Its delicious and like half the fat and carbs. Great for cooking. I haven't tried it like spread on a piece of bread but its amazing for sauteing and grilled cheeses :)
    Well, no it's not half the fat and it has no carbs at all. It's basically a clarified butter that is taken to the next stage where some color is added from an extended cooking time and it actually has more calories than regular butter.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I actually live in Rome, but my husband's family come from Pulglia, in the south. Their sauces are alot lighter than the northern cooking. Once my husband (after a trip to my family in Minnesota) was spreading butter on a piece of bread and his brother, who is a cardiologist, just about went nuts. He said that habit wasn't a good idea. ;)
    Well, it's lifestyle and butter really isn't going to shorten your life when you factor everything in, but they continue to try and the status quo is a hard one to maneuver, no doubt about it. I believe they also consume the funny oil made from olives up in Rome.

The "funny oil" as you call it, has extremely high quality. Oils here are treated like wines. There are many different types and most people know someone who produces oil, so they buy directly. Oil is given as a gift especially at Christmas. A high quality, cold pressed oil is considered a classy gift. :)
  • neanderthin
    Options

The "funny oil" as you call it, has extremely high quality. Oils here are treated like wines. There are many different types and most people know someone who produces oil, so they buy directly. Oil is given as a gift especially at Christmas. A high quality, cold pressed oil is considered a classy gift. :)
    I was trying to make a joke......I have 4 different types of evoo's in my kitchen at the moment. 1 from Spain, 1 from Calif. and 2 from Italy, one is unfiltered and peppery, love it. But I have a warm spot in my heart for butter, I am French and I cook for a living....lol.

• hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yeah I say use the butter. Or olive oil or coconut oil are my go to oils ;)
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    So, this doesn't really relate a whole lot to your question, but I use Imperial brand margarine instead of butter. The reason actually ISN'T because it's less calories: It's simply that it's what my mom used when I was growing up, and I always thought it actually WAS butter (I actually called it Imperial butter).

So imagine my surprise when my fiance told me to pick up a box of butter, I get home with my Imperial margarine, and he goes "Mindy....this isn't butter...." and I am like "Huh....?"
  • neanderthin
    Options
    That's pretty funny Mindy
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Well, no it's not half the fat and it has no carbs at all. It's basically a clarified butter that is taken to the next stage where some color is added from an extended cooking time and it actually has more calories than regular butter.

It has the milk solids removed (the clarifying) so it is good for people who are lactose intolerant because it has no lactose left.

• neanderthin
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

It has the milk solids removed (the clarifying) so it is good for people who are lactose intolerant because it has no lactose left.
    Yes butter technically has lactose but I've not yet found anyone that was lactose intolerant to have a problem with butter, and just to clarify I deal with these issues daily. A glass of milk has about 12g's per cup and 1 tbsp. of butter has almost none or in and around 0.02g's.

• goblue8426
    goblue8426 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love all kinds of fat, but especially butter. I typically use either butter, olive oil or coconut oil depending on what I'm cooking but would like to get into ghee as well.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    So, this doesn't really relate a whole lot to your question, but I use Imperial brand margarine instead of butter. The reason actually ISN'T because it's less calories: It's simply that it's what my mom used when I was growing up, and I always thought it actually WAS butter (I actually called it Imperial butter).

So imagine my surprise when my fiance told me to pick up a box of butter, I get home with my Imperial margarine, and he goes "Mindy....this isn't butter...." and I am like "Huh....?"

plus imperial tastes nommy.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My husband has to watch his saturated fat intake so I use olive oil instead of butter or margarine in cooking whenever I can. Doesn't save calories but it's a healthier fat. He uses "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray on his food. If I'm going to butter vegetables or toast I just use a little bit of regular butter.