Jawbone UP anyone?

Options
I'm not techie. I started using Jawbone UP a week ago or so. I never get to make any adjustments because MFP's calories are so much higher....any suggestions?

Replies

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Elaborate. I've been using my band since Dec. Maybe I can help. What adjustments? Calories earned back on MFP?
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi! Thanks! In the exercise diary, the UP calorie adjustment is zero, because myfitnesspal calories burned today showed 2664 calories, whereas the UP showed calories burned was at 2129. I don't know what to think about those numbers.

It says:
    UP calories burned
    full day projection
    (based on 1836 calories burned as of 8:26pm)

Myfitnesspal Calories Burned
    (Includes 684 calories from exercise)

So UP thinks I burned less, and is this probably a more accurate calorie count?
    I guess I'm not sure how UP collects its data, since I'm wearing it, it's measuring me somehow. lol
  • Talan79
    edited April 2015
    Options
    UP tracks your steps and estimates total burn based on that. I use MFP to keep track of food only. I run and lift, but only input weightlifting into the UP app. I don't log my run since it tracks my steps for me. UP unlike MFP does not give you a calorie adjustment. I haven't seen calorie projection for daily burn in MFP. Where are you seeing that?
    Also make sure you've put in your weight and goal in MFP and UP if you already haven't. This will help with estimating your BMR and total burn in UP.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    Okay, that's an efficient way to do it.
    Well, the adjustment is on MFP's exercise diary page, which you may not be utilizing. In order to see it, you would first need to enter a calorie burn.
  • Talan79
    Options
    Ok, I see. Using on line calculations and harris benidict, Up daily burn seems to match.
    It's all an estimate so MFP may give you different numbers if you enter running four miles vs seeing it in UP. The treadmill estimates me at 80 calories per mile. I've been watching my calorie burn in UP and it seems to match with my burn on the treadmill. Maybe just use UP and only add non step based activities.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    Oh, I see! That makes sense, I'll try that.
    Right now I do walks, bike rides and weights. I'll track the biking and weight lifting on MFP and adjust for the walks that are tracked by UP.
    Thank-you!
  • Talan79
    Options
    Do it all on the UP, then you have an accurate daily burn in one app. UP lets you add biking and other activities.
  • USMCMcG
    USMCMcG Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    tzarba wrote: »
    Do it all on the UP, then you have an accurate daily burn in one app. UP lets you add biking and other activities.

Totally agree. Using both seems to make both apps a little wonky. UP does a better job of accurate tracking for all activities.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    Okay, I'll try to do this. I actually don't have a cell phone, so I'm plugging it in to my daughter's ipod. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!!
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    Using online calculations, my bmr is 1460. Jawbone says my calorie burn (from active and resting burn) is about that much. So how do I determine my total calorie burn for today...just add on the active burn to my bmr?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you enabled negative calorie adjustments?
  • Talan79
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Jawbone gives you a breakdown. Click on the middle orange bar and you get this...my BMR is 1295, my total burn as of now is in the 1600's. See photo. When you click on the green bar, you see your estimated burn for the day. phrgk1zu1081.jpg
  • Justygirl77
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay yep! I see all that. My total burn was 1917, and my calorie intake was 1573. So I have a deficit today of 344 calories? UP says my idle time was 3 hours, but actually I just didn't set the UP right when I took a BIG NAP. haha! So did it not count any calories during my "idle" nap??

• Justygirl77
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Have you enabled negative calorie adjustments?

No, not yet...should I do that?
  • Justygirl77
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The UP Calorie Adjustment took all day to show up on my exercise diary, for some reason. So it's there now, and I clicked on it, and it says my UP Full Day Projection for calories burned is 2128 ( I presume it's projecting until midnight tonight?). Therefore 2128-1573(cals eaten today) = my deficit for today of 555. Is this correct?

I'm going to check out that green bar you mentioned, tomorrow.

And thank-you for the help, I have appreciated it very much!:)
  • Talan79
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Justygirl77 UP still has you burning calories at rest, nap or sitting at a desk. So don't worry about that part.
    The orange bar shows you all the activity/calorie info. If you click on the green bar, it shows you total calories eaten vs burned. For some reason, UP keeps your calorie goal 100 under total burn. Maybe for room for error.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Okay yep! I see all that. My total burn was 1917, and my calorie intake was 1573. So I have a deficit today of 344 calories? UP says my idle time was 3 hours, but actually I just didn't set the UP right when I took a BIG NAP. haha! So did it not count any calories during my "idle" nap??

There is a nap/sleep function you should use that when you are sleeping.

• Justygirl77
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

There is a nap/sleep function you should use that when you are sleeping.
    lol sleepy and new to jawbone, I set it wrong :D

• Justygirl77
    Options
    @tzarba I see an estimated burn for today of 1692. It's only 9am, though. Does this number change as the day evolves, or is it estimated from previous burns? If I burn that much, yet want a calorie deficit (500cals) for the day, it seems I'll need to up that burn, 'cause I'm surely not going to eat only 1200 cals lol. I do plan on walking/biking/exercising more today.
  • Talan79
    Options
    It changes as you walk more. I think that number is if you don't do anything else all day.