Getting too much fat and not enough carbs. Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    GlennS18T wrote: »
    magerum wrote: »
    mbaker824 wrote: »
    DaFibble wrote: »
    Looking over my food diary I notice that I'm consistently over the recommended amount of fat but low on carbs.

Could use some ideas about how to increase my healthy carb intake. Ideally, not wheat based foods as I think I have enough of those.

Alternatively, do I even need to be concerned about this? I don't feel like I lack energy.

I don't think you need to be concerned; in fact, IMHO carbs are the problem, not the solution. We've been conditioned all our lives to believe fat is the enemy, but our grandparents knew it was carbs and sugar that would make you fat.

Clearly. I am in awe of your demonization of an entire food group based on anecdotes from nearly a hundred years ago. Please, go on.

He is absolutely correct. Processed carbs are absolutely the problem and more of you need to research before you criticize others posted information. The ignorance in nutrion on here blows me away.

I remember feeling that way too when I did my first 'set' of low carb diets. But, at the back of my mind, I just couldn't quite square how the fittest, strongest and fastest human beings on the planet were wolfing down simple carbs like there was no tomorrow.

Of course, now that I'm triathlon training, I research and realise that ...put in the right context carbs are the elixir of life. There are no bad foods just bad diets.

• GlennS18T
    GlennS18T Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Looking over my food diary I notice that I'm consistently over the recommended amount of fat but low on carbs.

Could use some ideas about how to increase my healthy carb intake. Ideally, not wheat based foods as I think I have enough of those.

Alternatively, do I even need to be concerned about this? I don't feel like I lack energy.

I don't think you need to be concerned; in fact, IMHO carbs are the problem, not the solution. We've been conditioned all our lives to believe fat is the enemy, but our grandparents knew it was carbs and sugar that would make you fat.

Clearly. I am in awe of your demonization of an entire food group based on anecdotes from nearly a hundred years ago. Please, go on.

He is absolutely correct. Processed carbs are absolutely the problem and more of you need to research before you criticize others posted information. The ignorance in nutrion on here blows me away.

I remember feeling that way too when I did my first 'set' of low carb diets. But, at the back of my mind, I just couldn't quite square how the fittest, strongest and fastest human beings on the planet were wolfing down simple carbs like there was no tomorrow.

Of course, now that I'm triathlon training, I research and realise that ...put in the right context carbs are the elixir of life. There are no bad foods just bad diets.

I'm not at all saying cut all carbs/go low carb. Carbs are 40% of my intake in my current set up. I'm saying for health reasons, not for training reason natural /minimally processed carbs are key. Loading up up on sugary processed carbs will show its effects down the road.

• GlennS18T
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I'm not at all saying cut all carbs/go low carb. Carbs are 40% of my intake in my current set up. I'm saying for health reasons, not for training reason natural /minimally processed carbs are key. Loading up up on sugary processed carbs will show its effects down the road.
    More nonsense that you can't back up and is full of assumptions

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/carbs-against-cardio/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/18/brain-imaging-confirms-food-addiction.aspx

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/774.long

http://authoritynutrition.com/9-ways-that-processed-foods-are-killing-people/

http://www.organicauthority.com/health/health/the-health-hazards-of-refined-carbohydrates.html

• GlennS18T
    Options
    This was simply a quick google search to provide you with somewhere to start. Please show me the studies that say you should focus on getting your daily intake of soda and chips if you want to be in good health
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    This was simply a quick google search to provide you with somewhere to start. Please show me the studies that say you should focus on getting your daily intake of soda and chips if you want to be in good health

LOL

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Straw_man