Is my diet unhealthy? Why have I been burping up after I eat sometimes?

Options
I'm not on a diet but what I mean is my eating lifestyle. I love fruits and veggies, my favorites being tomatoes pineapple and onions. I eat mostly white meats as opposed to red. My favorite snacks are hummus with corn chips or a fruit and nuts. I make a lot of pasta dishes since my italian mom taught me how to make so many haha. I use whole wheat pasta and use tomato sauces instead of fatty alfredo sauces. Lately though I've been burping up after eating. Not throwing up but I'll feel a burn then burp it up and swallow it back. Am I not eating healthy enough? Should I switch to a different food?

Replies

• leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Could just be heart burn, sometimes it just causes burps, which can be caused by eating things that are too acidic. Your diet sounds fine, maybe just take some tums after you eat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a volume problem to me. Cut your pasta portion by half and see it you burp that up. You want to avoid acid reflux problems.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It could be you are sensitive to something you are eating. Try eliminating and reintroducing things one at a time. If I eat tomatoes, I get exactly the reaction you are describing. For you, the problem could be something else. My mother, my sister, and I all get stomach aches from canteloupe. Go figure. Hubby can't eat barley without filling with gas that keeps him up at night. Each of us could be reacting to something different.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Try some antacid and relax. Maybe don't eat so much pasta next time.
  • KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ok I won't. Thanks
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm not on a diet but what I mean is my eating lifestyle. I love fruits and veggies, my favorites being tomatoes pineapple and onions. I eat mostly white meats as opposed to red. My favorite snacks are hummus with corn chips or a fruit and nuts. I make a lot of pasta dishes since my italian mom taught me how to make so many haha. I use whole wheat pasta and use tomato sauces instead of fatty alfredo sauces. Lately though I've been burping up after eating. Not throwing up but I'll feel a burn then burp it up and swallow it back. Am I not eating healthy enough? Should I switch to a different food?

Could be heart burn but it also sounds like a hiatal hernia. There are two kinds: one is no problem except that you need to eat smaller, more frequent meals. The other could mean surgery. Both are easily diagnosed with a chest xray so see you doctor.

They are actually somewhat common and become more likely as people age. Genetics plays a big part. People with a history of excessive vomiting (either an ED or a sensitive stomach) are also more likely to develop one.

(No, I am not a doctor and not trying to diagnose. Just opening up another possibility and encouraging OP to see a doctor. I have a hiatal hernia and it is a minor nuisance)

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    What were you eating before the burping happened? Go back to eating what you were, obviously something new you are eating just does not agree with you...

The law is "rule out" the problem. Diagnose by process elimination? If no results, see a doctor in the GI field...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Could be heart burn but it also sounds like a hiatal hernia. There are two kinds: one is no problem except that you need to eat smaller, more frequent meals. The other could mean surgery. Both are easily diagnosed with a chest xray so see you doctor.

This ^ is worth a check if it continues.

If you are eating a lot more tomato based sauces that before, that could cause acid reflux. Tomatos are very acidic.
  • KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

They are actually somewhat common and become more likely as people age. Genetics plays a big part. People with a history of excessive vomiting (either an ED or a sensitive stomach) are also more likely to develop one.

(No, I am not a doctor and not trying to diagnose. Just opening up another possibility and encouraging OP to see a doctor. I have a hiatal hernia and it is a minor nuisance)

Thank u for this. I will keep it in mind and probably see my doc.

• sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    tomato sauce can cause acid reflux, or other foods you may be sensitive to. Try some antiacids