Protein Powder, yes or no?

Options
2»

Replies

• BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    All the protein powder in the world won't make you "toned". Resistance training and caloric deficit will get you there, along with adequate protein intake. If you can hit your protein goals from whole foods, there is no need for protein powder.

^^^^^ This
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    abb117 wrote: »
    What on earth have you heard about protein that's negative?

I haven't heard anything negative about protein; I have heard negative things about protein powder. I read somewhere that it can cause damage to the kidneys
    Protein powder is just protein. If you have a kidney disease or something you should discuss it with your doctor, but getting your protein from protein powder is no different from getting it from any other source. If you don't have a medical condition and you can eat chicken just fine then you don't need to worry.
  • abb117
    abb117 Posts: 81 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    All the protein powder in the world won't make you "toned". Resistance training and caloric deficit will get you there, along with adequate protein intake. If you can hit your protein goals from whole foods, there is no need for protein powder.

I do resistance training 3-4 days a week along with cardio 6-7 days a week. I'm not trying to use protein powder instead of working out just as an addition to my daily routine. And I have been on a calorie deficit eating healthy for 2 months now, so it's not that I am looking for a quick fix. I just want to take things to the next step
  • abb117
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Depends...Do you hit your protein goals with food? If yes...then no, you don't need protein powder. If no...yes, get some protein powder.

Nothing magical about the powder itself.

If I eat meat, then I am pretty okay with hitting protein goals, but if I go a single day without meat then I don't even come close
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Depends...Do you hit your protein goals with food? If yes...then no, you don't need protein powder. If no...yes, get some protein powder.

Nothing magical about the powder itself.

If I eat meat, then I am pretty okay with hitting protein goals, but if I go a single day without meat then I don't even come close

So supplement on the days you don't hit your goals. Don't on the days you do hit your goals.

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Protein power is helpful if you have problems getting sufficient protein from whole food sources. I use it 2-3 times a week when I haven't hit my protein goal, and I either don't have enough calories left for whole food protein, or if I am just not that hungry.

*edited because I used "enough" 3 times in one sentence :P
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

This.

I'm on the "THIS" train. I don't believe it took half a page for THIS to be said.

In summation... THIS.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

What's wrong with the forums today? It took way too long for this to be said.

OP, please take the word "toned" out of your vocabulary. Muscles do not "tone," and therefore the word is meaningless. What you want is decreased body fat. You get that through a calorie deficit. To retain muscle, you lift weights while eating at that deficit. Protein powder is perfectly fine, and getting enough protein in your diet is important, but the powder itself isn't going to "tone" anything.
  • abb117
    Options

I do resistance training 3-4 days a week along with cardio 6-7 days a week. I'm not trying to use protein powder instead of working out just as an addition to my daily routine. And I have been on a calorie deficit eating healthy for 2 months now, so it's not that I am looking for a quick fix. I just want to take things to the next step

I would just like to repeat the fact that I do have a calorie deficit and work out a bunch during the week. All I wanted was a recommendation on what people thought about protein powder. Simple
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is fine as a supplement if you are not getting enough protein. That is all it is. If you are already getting enough through your food, then it won't do anything (good or bad, assuming no previous kidney issues).
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do. I actually use perfect fit protein and low calorie almond milk lots of ice. I then freeze it and eat it like ice cream almost every night. Its only 130 cals for a huge cup

That's brilliant. I'm going to have to try that.