Short girls and hard time closer to goal

Options

Replies

• Aurafie
    Aurafie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    TsaiHo wrote: »
    Have you ever tried drinking warm/hot water in the morning? Works wonders for revving up the metabolism!

Pffffft!

Actually, I heard the opposite, that cold water does that because your body has to heat it up or something. First I've heard of warm water.

Ah, well, hot water fills you up quickly. Maybe that's what they meant?

5'2" here. I think it is easier to lose weight when you're tall (because more energy required to sustain a tall person than a short one), but it doesn't show as much for them. You could lose like 10 pounds and it'll be really obvious, so being short does have its advantages. Try intermittent fasting?
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and hit my goal weight of 125 3 months ago.

I hit a harder block around 135. To beat it I exercised harder and didn't eat back all those calories. Did more hiit and weights. By going harder it seemed to be the trick to reach goal
  • livinmydreamsthruJesus
    Options
    I have a hard time with losing weight. My body seems to want to stay around 140, and it's really annoying. Though at 5'2 a five pound loss (or gain) can look like a big difference. Weight seems to come off veeeerrryyy slowly. Yes, it's pretty frustrating... but I'm getting there! Goal weight is around 115-120 or when I feel confident! :weary:

Same with me! I'm stuck at 147, I'm 5'2", and my goal is 120lbs.. Add me as a friend! :)
  • taylormoooon
    taylormoooon Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Hey OP, just wanted to say I hear you on this. I’m 5’4” at around 133 (GW 123ish) and it’s a really pain getting there at this point. I got excited to see you also lift - I’ve been doing Starting Strength for a while now and just love it. I also add in a few weekly runs for cardio, and don’t eat back calories. I ate at 1200 for a while but that got old so I upped to 1300, except it’s killing me how slow my progress is. Besides, I really want to gain muscle too, not just strength, so I’m really torn about the best caloric intake. How do you balance food with weight training?

Well here's the deal for me. When I started lifting my noob gains were great. I gained a lot of strength pretty fast but being in a deficit it eventually stopped and I started feeling more tired and was having trouble lifting which was when I took a break. My plan was to drop another 5 pounds and get down to 125 and then do a slow bulk back to 130 so I could put some muscle on but I'm starting to think if my added cardio doesn't help I might need to do a slow bulk anyway to get my body running more efficiently. If you want to put on muscle, you have to to eat at a surplus, but to lose fat you obviously need a deficit. If I'm lifting and dieting I just make sure I'm getting at least 100g of protein a day. Also before I took a break I was carb cycling, doing less carbs on non-lifting days. How long have you been lifting? Progress will be slow on a deficit, but you should see some change in about 8 weeks I would say (though everyones different).

This was me before lifting:
    http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2014/03/29/82187722/progresspic/cZUQUQyCsvsneWbtXdjAZbZSAOCeLYdByGew-610xh.jpg

and this is me after 8 weeks:
    http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2014/03/30/82187722/progresspic/dwhcOhejKKacfjrXzIyXzseolmimZAyUxWoz-610xh.jpg

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    taycupcake wrote: »
    Hey OP, just wanted to say I hear you on this. I’m 5’4” at around 133 (GW 123ish) and it’s a really pain getting there at this point. I got excited to see you also lift - I’ve been doing Starting Strength for a while now and just love it. I also add in a few weekly runs for cardio, and don’t eat back calories. I ate at 1200 for a while but that got old so I upped to 1300, except it’s killing me how slow my progress is. Besides, I really want to gain muscle too, not just strength, so I’m really torn about the best caloric intake. How do you balance food with weight training?

Well here's the deal for me. When I started lifting my noob gains were great. I gained a lot of strength pretty fast but being in a deficit it eventually stopped and I started feeling more tired and was having trouble lifting which was when I took a break. My plan was to drop another 5 pounds and get down to 125 and then do a slow bulk back to 130 so I could put some muscle on but I'm starting to think if my added cardio doesn't help I might need to do a slow bulk anyway to get my body running more efficiently. If you want to put on muscle, you have to to eat at a surplus, but to lose fat you obviously need a deficit. If I'm lifting and dieting I just make sure I'm getting at least 100g of protein a day. Also before I took a break I was carb cycling, doing less carbs on non-lifting days. How long have you been lifting? Progress will be slow on a deficit, but you should see some change in about 8 weeks I would say (though everyones different).

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2014/03/29/82187722/progresspic/cZUQUQyCsvsneWbtXdjAZbZSAOCeLYdByGew-610xh.jpg

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2014/03/30/82187722/progresspic/dwhcOhejKKacfjrXzIyXzseolmimZAyUxWoz-610xh.jpg

Dude Nice work!

I so wanted to get down to at least 128 (at 133 now) but like you...I am exhausted and starting to fail my minimum reps for the program I do. Are you lifting in maintenance now?
  • taylormoooon
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I wish I could give OP some advice. I'm in the same place, only 5'1.5" , with the added disadvantage of being 56 years old. I haven't been able to stay below 120. I had my BMR done in the late fall, and it's only 1136 if sedentary, so even eating 1200 doesn't get me a deficit. I've set my lower thresh-hold to 1000 and am adding exercise calories, but still no dice. I'm starting to look at 1200-1300 as the "new maintenance."

Do you mean TDEE and not BMR? Your BMR is your basic metabolic weight...what you burn if you stayed in bed all day. You should subtract from your TDEE (total daily expected expediture). Also do you weigh everything you eat on a food scale (no cups or measuring spoons unless liquids!!!)? You could most definitely be eating more than you think if you're not and that could be why you're not losing. But I know it is harder at your age as well. I wish I could be of more help!
  • taylormoooon
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Dude Nice work!

I so wanted to get down to at least 128 (at 133 now) but like you...I am exhausted and starting to fail my minimum reps for the program I do. Are you lifting in maintenance now?

Thank you!! :)

I lightened my weights up since I was failing too. I'd like to lift at maintenance but I still want to cut! I know eating more would help me but I'm so afraid of putting on extra fat lol.
  • taylormoooon
    Options

Dude Nice work!

I lightened my weights up since I was failing too. I'd like to lift at maintenance but I still want to cut! I know eating more would help me but I'm so afraid of putting on extra fat lol.

Oh and when I took a break from dieting I'll admit I stopped lifting too then which was the biggest mistake. I've been back on track now :) hah
  • taylormoooon
    Options
    I am 5'2 and hit my goal weight of 125 3 months ago.

I hit a harder block around 135. To beat it I exercised harder and didn't eat back all those calories. Did more hiit and weights. By going harder it seemed to be the trick to reach goal

I definitely think this is the key right here. I just gotta push a little harder!
  • taylormoooon
    Options
    Aurafie wrote: »
    TsaiHo wrote: »
    Have you ever tried drinking warm/hot water in the morning? Works wonders for revving up the metabolism!

Pffffft!

Actually, I heard the opposite, that cold water does that because your body has to heat it up or something. First I've heard of warm water.

Ah, well, hot water fills you up quickly. Maybe that's what they meant?

5'2" here. I think it is easier to lose weight when you're tall (because more energy required to sustain a tall person than a short one), but it doesn't show as much for them. You could lose like 10 pounds and it'll be really obvious, so being short does have its advantages. Try intermittent fasting?

Good point on the short vs tall argument!
  • arditarose
    Options

Dude Nice work!

But you won't put on fat in maintenance. You'll just recomp...hopefully. Even if you don't have recomp results you won't gain fat in maintenance.
  • taylormoooon
    Options
    Cardio is a great fat burner and you should really be aiming to do at least 30mins a day...For better weight loss you should do interval training 2min work /1min recover or for more intensity 4min work/1min recovery as this increases fat burn. The personal trainer I work with said you need to be using both cardio and strength to your advantage in order to boost your muscle metabolism and weight loss.
    You may also have found a weight that your body is perfectly happy with and reluctant to shift, gene transcription for certain catabolic processes may slow and prevent further breakdown of fuels...and that's ok too, if this is the case you can simply use the exercise to stay fit and maintain calories whilst toning up.
    As someone who studies physiology, I can tell you the theory of people not losing because they are not eating enough is BS...you body has a BMR which is the minimum number of calories your body needs to do absolutely nothing other than its own function. If you don't eat that number or even slightly more given you will have basal exercise...walking around etc, you will lose weight as it burns other fuels such as fat and protein to compensate and keep your body healthy. If you have a deficit you will lose weight.
    This link explains some more http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Yes that's what I'm planning to do and Hiit is definitely good when you're also weight training. My body might be stuck at this weight, which is actually fine by me cause I don't care about the number, but this fat has to go! haha I'd rather have more muscle at this weight..future goals.

And haha yes! I've done my fair share of research and I know that eating more isn't going to get me anywhere. Though it is good to take a break after a loooong time of dieting.
  • taylormoooon
    Options

Dude Nice work!

But you won't put on fat in maintenance. You'll just recomp...hopefully. Even if you don't have recomp results you won't gain fat in maintenance.

Yes you're right on that though I'd still like to focus on fat loss. Do you think recomping would be a better deal (though slower results of course)?
  • arditarose
    Options

Dude Nice work!

Yes you're right on that though I'd still like to focus on fat loss. Do you think recomping would be a better deal (though slower results of course)?

Well...I'm kind of still making up my mind as well. Ideally I'd like to get to 128 and just bulk and cut. But in order for me to lose .5 lbs a week I have to eat 1400 calories on week days, have one day a week on the high side, and do cardio...and I'm just tired. Also, I'm really into lifting and not hitting my reps just makes me feel weak and like a loser. On the other hand, I also feel like I might be dipping into some more muscle loss lately even though I'm lifting.

Sigh. I don't know. Are the 120's WORTH it?!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think it is any harder for short people than for tall people. The last few pounds are just really difficult, for almost everyone.

If your goal is based at all on BMI, you should know that those tables are much more lenient toward the short.

No I don't pay attention to bmi. It's because my tdee is lower based on my height and weight so I have much less room for error. For example my taller friend can eat 1700 calories and lose weight whereas that's more calories than my tdee :p

Your TDEE is actually within your control. The more active you are, the higher it gets, the more you can eat.

Your BMR is slightly lower, but comparing your BMR to a woman the same weight, but 5'7" only adds 80 calories or so. So it's not a huge difference. Certainly not a handicap :)

I can see how being shorter would make any small gain noticeable, but it doesn't really make it harder.
  • taylormoooon
    Options

Dude Nice work!

Well...I'm kind of still making up my mind as well. Ideally I'd like to get to 128 and just bulk and cut. But in order for me to lose .5 lbs a week I have to eat 1400 calories on week days, have one day a week on the high side, and do cardio...and I'm just tired. Also, I'm really into lifting and not hitting my reps just makes me feel weak and like a loser. On the other hand, I also feel like I might be dipping into some more muscle loss lately even though I'm lifting.

hahah the struggle is real!! Gosh I'm the same it makes me feel horrible whenever I drop weight and I'm starting to feel a little more pudgy from water weight now that I'm starting a new cardio routine. Stupid 120s. I'm going to keep lifting I think at a deficit for now, add in some HIIT and see if something happens.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I wish I could give OP some advice. I'm in the same place, only 5'1.5" , with the added disadvantage of being 56 years old. I haven't been able to stay below 120. I had my BMR done in the late fall, and it's only 1136 if sedentary, so even eating 1200 doesn't get me a deficit. I've set my lower thresh-hold to 1000 and am adding exercise calories, but still no dice. I'm starting to look at 1200-1300 as the "new maintenance."

Do you mean TDEE and not BMR? Your BMR is your basic metabolic weight...what you burn if you stayed in bed all day. You should subtract from your TDEE (total daily expected expediture). Also do you weigh everything you eat on a food scale (no cups or measuring spoons unless liquids!!!)? You could most definitely be eating more than you think if you're not and that could be why you're not losing. But I know it is harder at your age as well. I wish I could be of more help!

I mean my BMR. The trainer used a scale that measure lean body mass/body fat, and calculates BMR based on those factors and age. By the way, metabolism slows way down as we age. Also, I own a food scale and weigh and measure everything.
  • taylormoooon
    Options

I mean my BMR. The trainer used a scale that measure lean body mass/body fat, and calculates BMR based on those factors and age. By the way, metabolism slows way down as we age. Also, I own a food scale and weigh and measure everything.

You shouldn't go by BMR and I'm sure the rest of the forum could tell you that too. Punch in your numbers here and see what you get: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Yes that's what I meant by it's harder at your age as well because of metabolism slow down. Glad you're weighing though!!
  • arditarose
    Options

Dude Nice work!

hahah the struggle is real!! Gosh I'm the same it makes me feel horrible whenever I drop weight and I'm starting to feel a little more pudgy from water weight now that I'm starting a new cardio routine. Stupid 120s. I'm going to keep lifting I think at a deficit for now, add in some HIIT and see if something happens.

Cool cool. I'm going to slowly up my calories over the next week or so and see how I feel. Keep me posted on your progress.
  • taylormoooon
    Options

Dude Nice work!

Cool cool. I'm going to slowly up my calories over the next week or so and see how I feel. Keep me posted on your progress.

Sounds good!