The Psychology of Maintenance-your tips!

Options
2»

Replies

• jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I also find that I feel really great about maintenance this time around. I maintained for years after losing for my wedding...and then the sweet little boy in my profile pic happened :-)

I feel "spoiled" when I go out to eat because I know that I can have whatever, in moderation...as long as I track it and make my week even out. I had a cupcake tonight after dinner...it wasn't the greatest, healthiest thing...but it fit into my calories and I allowed for that indulgence. THAT is what really feels great....maintaining in a way that I can actually DO for life.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet but a lifestyle change.
    What you put into it, you will get out of it.
    Log every single thing for accountability.
    Don't deprive yourself of anything~account for it.
    If you indulge a little extra, pull in the reigns and cut back to recoup. Don't make it a habit.
    Make an effort to workout, eat several small meals so you are never hungry & hydrate.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Rather "old" now but I found it by searching fpr psychology because I am "doing it again".

I am 58 now - I have lost lots of weight lots of time in my life, and always always struggled to do maintenance. I eat really good, nutritious whole foods, do not drink alcohol and make my choices of food based on anti-cancer strategies. I also go to the gym three times a week - all of which I have done for 7 years - and initially I lost a lot of weight by rigorous application of the anti-cancer strategies ...

but even so only slight over-eating piles on the pounds and I still really struggle with maintenance. So I am reducing again, but thinking ahead to maintenance and any help I can get toward keeping it off more successfully this time. It is so frustrating, but I really do not go "mad" or eat junk or binge etc.
    Because there is no 'finish line' per say to maintaining what helps me from being overwhelmed with the thought "OMG I have to do this for the rest of my life" little panic attack is to continue to have goals.

I totally get this overwhelming thought. Dealing with that, and the strong / unbeatable urge to sometimes eat chocolate and biscuits which ovewhelms me too - and I don't find moderation easy. I find not drinking at all easier than having a little drink, for example. I dunno why not drinking is so much easier than not eating sweet stuff for me.

So I am bumping this thread and wondering if anyone else wants to join this discussion.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Very helpful thread!!! Like the idea of looking at weekly calories and fixing a high day with a lower,one..I also save exercise calories for weekends
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Glad you found this and bumped it! I'm using a 5 lb range. I was losing quite slowly at the, Sr of my maintenance strategy, still evolving, seems to be to eat like I was eating while losing, but I have a little more latitude for a glass of wine during through week or an extra dessert on weekends.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    So for me... when I get to the bottom of my range I stop logging for awhile. It helps me psychologically to leave calorie counting for a bit. I still weigh on occasion and when my weight goes past the top of my range I log again. This has worked for me for 3 years of maintaining within 10 lbs.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I went for a year without logging anything and stayed within my range. I started logging again in October because I saw a fluctuation outside of my range. It went back down quickly and I kept logging through Christmas just because I knew there would be a lot of temptation. At some point I start forgetting to log calories and then I'll wait until my weight gets out of range before I start logging again.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    What are your best MENTAL tips for maintenance? What were your best learned tips for the head game of maintenance?

I think that learning to put everything into perspective was a big help. Weight management is like anything else in life. Weight is something I monitor as a part of staying healthy, and it takes some effort, although, the effort is much less after using MFP for so long. One bad day, or even several bad days, won't end you. As long as you get back on track asap, you'll be fine.
    In the words of Dory the fish, "just keep swimming." It's hard to fail if you try.
    How do you course correct?
    If I notice I'm getting too low on the scale, I log more loosely and have that extra piece of what I'm craving so that I'm at a slight surplus. If I'm getting too high, I cut back a bit on calories. I tend to increase and decrease by 50-200 calories.
    How often do you weigh? How often do you track?

Every day.