Fussy eater!!

Options
13»

Replies

• JudeElite
    JudeElite Posts: 3
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your post wreaks of fatlogic, i.e., rationalizations for deviating from the diet. By calling yourself a "fussy eater" and an "emotional eater," you are effectively pathologizing your inability to commit to the diet. The solution to your problem is simple: change variables. Remove and add foods until you have a diet you can ride out for another month or two, then change the foods again. Design a diet that produces weight loss, but also accounts for diet compliance. It's a careful balancing act, and thanks to myfitnesspal, you have all the data you need to plan effectively.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    How old are you? Nothing aggravates me more as when someone says " I am a picky eater".

What is aggravating about someone being a picky eater? Some ppl are picky for medical reasons and others are picky for psychological reasons. No reason to be rude if you have nothing to add.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My son has a sensory processing disorder that really gives him a tough time with food. The list of what he doesn't eat is endless. He is slim and healthy despite this quirk. He takes a daily vitamin with iron, and eats normal portions.

I recommend checking out the picky eating adults website, and their corresponding yahoo group. Lots of ASD folks,"super tasters", even OCD people on there, who for a variety of reasons, eat a simple diet.

I also recommend you to continue eating the foods you feel safe and comfortable eating, but try to take a vitamin and count your calories.
    Hi :-) thank you for your reply!

How old is your son? Does he deal with it well? I have a 6 year old sister that has severe autism and many medical problems due to being born at 24 weeks & along with that comes not eating.. She is fed via a gastro peg and the only solid food she eats (or sucks to death until they melt lol) is skips, the crisps. Bless her.

Wow, I had no idea at all that there would be a website to tackle this particular problem! How helpful, thank you!!!
    I've got lots of tips from people that I will try and put into play as of next week (after Easter of course!)

I do think I need to evaluate what is missing from my diet & take a vitamin or two to fill the void!

X
    The website I mentioned is www.pickyeatingadults.com, and they have an active yahoo group as well.

My son does deal with it well, but socially it can be awkward. today was easter dinner, in our friends home. All the kids got plates of fruit, veg, meat,deviled egg, and starchy side dish.

MY son had a plate of tortilla chips, ranch dressing (for dipping!),a glass of water, and a pickle spear.

I would have liked to give him more (they usually have a cheese tray and fruit juice, but not this year) so he ate his pile of chips and dressing, and waited till we got home to have a sandwich and glass of juice.

He doesnt complain that others dont have "his" food availiable to him, he just hopes no one notices how his plate looks vastly different from the other children's plates.

Someone commented "why doesnt X have to eat any ham?" and my son, tried to play it cool and said "I prefer ham-burgers". That was a lie, btw, he doesnt eat meat. But it diffused the situation.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    How old are you? Nothing aggravates me more as when someone says " I am a picky eater".
    yeah well you are aggravated by really dumb stuff. A picky eater has no impact/effect on you at all, so why get worked up?

If my son goes to a birthday party, and they are having pepperoni pizza, and chocolate icecream, he doesnt whine and complain that the food is not to his liking.

He will take whatever dish they are serving that he can eat, and wait for the next opportunity to get a full meal in.
  • imicklea
    imicklea Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to be a very picky eater, the only vegetable I would eat was corn. But have been working to change my habits and found that the biggest problem is getting used to the tastes and textures. I have started doing smoothies where I add in lots of veggies now but in beginning only a little. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can retrain your taste buds but it takes time, start by adding in a bite or 2 of a new food and do it several times and slowly increase how much you eat from there. Also do you drink pop? Like coke or other sweetened drinks? I found that they messed with my taste buds and made me prefer sweet tastes vs savory.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I used to be a very picky eater. I think it had to do with growing up in a family where the things everyone else liked were things I had no desire to eat, but I had no choice. My mom would cook things like sardines, corned beef, and liver, all covered with onions (which to this day are one of three foods I refuse to touch under any circumstances).

What helped me was getting older, having control of my own diet and learning to cook. I moved abroad for a year and that was a big part of it too- I lived in the food capital of the world, and I made a vow to at LEAST try everything once (barring onions, mayonnaise or pickles, all of which I still find revolting). There were a lot of successes (mussels, escargot, mustard, olives, wine, espresso, the list goes on) and a few things that were a big fat fail (oysters, pimms cups, pate, foie gras).

Anyway, my point is there are a world of foods out there that you probably can like if they are cooked and seasoned properly! I hope that you can bring yourself to try them out.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if you want to take a peek for some food ideas - Although yesterday I had some Easter treats so just ignore that lol then I didn't eat very much the rest of the day because the easter candy gave me an upset tummy.