Weight loss being cold all the time?

Options
I lost about 20 pounds and I notice that I am always freezing! Has anyone else experience being cold all the time after weight loss? I used to always be hot.

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Might want to get your thyroid checked - my mom was having lots of trouble getting warm, even in a room that was 80F, and turns out she has thyroid issues!

She would be wearing plenty of layers and/or a blanket and still wouldn't feel warm enough to be comfortable.

So if you haven't seen a doctor, I would recommend doing so if you're finding yourself not being warm enough in the same circumstances.

~Lyssa
  • peaceful_minion
    peaceful_minion Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have this problem too. Lost about 50lbs before joining MFP, used to have no troubles getting warm. Now, I dont get warm until its gets about 80-85F.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I have that problem but I also have low blood pressure.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Its pretty common in weight loss but the more rapid the loss the more severe the cold feelings.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes. I blame lowered blood pressure. I bought an electric blanket.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, you have less fat to keep you insulated.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Raynaud's phenomenon is not fun, parts of my fingers go numb and yellow-white when cold. It is never painful but it's just awkward and horrible...for me that happened after losing about 90 lb. My former boss went from around 350 to 120 lb and she had Raynaud's so badly it made her unable to use her hands fully in colder temperatures, ugh. It isn't always related to weight loss though.

I don't really notice being cold "all of the time" personally - but I know that I am much more affected by extreme cold than I was when I was heavier.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yep! Exact same happened to me. It was when I lost my first 20lbs. Always cold!!
  • KarolJohnson2127
    KarolJohnson2127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, I don't really get it since i have a lot of muscle, therefore my metabolism is higher than before, I exercise every day as well...it sucks. I used to be 220lb and never had that problem...And i live in Wisconsin, winters are hell for me!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I lost about 20 pounds and I notice that I am always freezing! Has anyone else experience being cold all the time after weight loss? I used to always be hot.

I was cold when I was fat, and I'm cold now that I'm a healthy weight.

For me, being cold has nothing to do with weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    I have that problem but I also have low blood pressure.

I do as well.

I've had my thyroid checked, nothing wrong there.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure is also pretty low and yes, I'm much more sensitive to cold than I used to be. But then, I have significantly less insulation now.