Was I really sugar free?

Options

Replies

• midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    midpath wrote: »
    Yes I have done that before lol. And after I ate that last protein bar I realized the last ingredient on the list was sucralose. Believe me I was a little upset at myself for not seeing it but at least it was like 1g and it was bedtime. I didn't see it there before I ate it. But I mean I can't explain it Acg67 an I think it's very rude to accuse me of lying. I can't explain why I can eat a piece of cheese and be normal about it while an Oreo turns me into a crazy person. But that doesn't mean I'm lying.

So ignorant then? Since you directly contradicted this by saying you ate lactose (sugar!) vegetables (sugar!) in moderation.

"I don't understand how to moderate sugar. Its like I get on auto pilot scooping sugar from the canister into my mouth and a simple piece of bread or pasta can trigger it. I have tried and I simply can't do it."

Why are you being so rude? It just seems really unnecessary. I know that dairy and vegetables have sugar but they're not commonly referred to as sugar foods. Its like you don't normally call beans a sodium food even though there is some in them. I misspoke and I didn't realize that we needed to split hairs here. Do you want a formal apology for not using specific terminology in your presence?
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You may just have to make sure when you have sugar you have a moderate amount of fiber or fats. Both fiber and fats lower the overall GI of a food.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done that before lol. And after I ate that last protein bar I realized the last ingredient on the list was sucralose. Believe me I was a little upset at myself for not seeing it but at least it was like 1g and it was bedtime. I didn't see it there before I ate it. But I mean I can't explain it Acg67 an I think it's very rude to accuse me of lying. I can't explain why I can eat a piece of cheese and be normal about it while an Oreo turns me into a crazy person. But that doesn't mean I'm lying.

So ignorant then? Since you directly contradicted this by saying you ate lactose (sugar!) vegetables (sugar!) in moderation.

"I don't understand how to moderate sugar. Its like I get on auto pilot scooping sugar from the canister into my mouth and a simple piece of bread or pasta can trigger it. I have tried and I simply can't do it."

Why are you being so rude? It just seems really unnecessary. I know that dairy and vegetables have sugar but they're not commonly referred to as sugar foods. Its like you don't normally call beans a sodium food even though there is some in them. I misspoke and I didn't realize that we needed to split hairs here. Do you want a formal apology for not using specific terminology in your presence?

You're missing the point. You stated that you cannot eat sugar in moderation; it turns you into a crazy person. He was simply pointing out the inconsistency that you clearly did eat sugar, without becoming a crazy person.
  • Crogirl_22
    Crogirl_22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After reading some posts, i got the feeling that you are totally mixing up two things .. carbs as a normal nutrient and sugars, referred to as saccharose, the manufactured one, as well as all the others. Fruits have more simple carbs like glucose and fructose , but veggies have more starchy and combined carbs.. so especially when eating veggies you dont have to worry at all. With fruits it can depend on several factors, as different metabolic types react in a different way to nutrients, one tolerate carbs in general good, others not. Another thing can be for example fructose intolerance. Generally said as long as you are eating clean and natural foods and cut the processed ones you are more than fine.. and you should eat lots of fruits and even more veggies. It is important to listen to your body after eating foods, being active regulates your hormones and metabolism.. so if you are healthy from the beginning on, you dont have to think much, all the other things, like when having any diseases, it can be discussed much longer. But healthy foods are good for everyone so go on with fruits and veggies and dont believe all those magazines out there :lol:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I think what he's trying to tell you is that this might not be a physical problem but more of a mental issue.

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Op do you honestly eat sugar straight out of the jar, by the spoonful?

I used to do that all the time as a kid.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »

I think what he's trying to tell you is that this might not be a physical problem but more of a mental issue.

Agreed.

Edited because spelling is hard.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Agreed.

I reckon I edit 90% of my posts because of spelling errors, or completely missed words. I think quicker than I type!! And i hate, hate simple spelling errors. I should proof read things better before posting!! Plus my phone doesn't have a "preview" option.

As for the OP, I in no way think she's lying. Possibly just confused on where the actual problem lies. She has to figure out exactly which foods trigger these reactions, and slowly move forward from there.
    Good luck OP, I'm sure you'll get it sorted :flowerforyou:
  • midpath
    edited April 2015
    Options

Agreed.

I reckon I edit 90% of my posts because of spelling errors, or completely missed words. I think quicker than I type!! And i hate, hate simple spelling errors. I should proof read things better before posting!! Plus my phone doesn't have a "preview" option.

As for the OP, I in no way think she's lying. Possibly just confused on where the actual problem lies. She has to figure out exactly which foods trigger these reactions, and slowly move forward from there.
    Good luck OP, I'm sure you'll get it sorted :flowerforyou:

I'm a grammar Nazi but I still haven't figured out how to edit my posts lol

And thanks I appreciate it. You'd think something so essential like eating would be easy and natural for everyone.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I kind of see where midpath is coming from, but I don't think it's 100% physical as it is psychological. I can eat an apple for my AM snack and a banana for my PM snack (both about 14 gr of natural sugar) and I'll be OK.
    Give me a donut, and it's game over. I'll eat one, then another, then another and so on, and after I'm done, I'll dig through my cupboards for more sugary stuff. It's like this insatiable craving that wont go away. And I'll be in like a sugary coma for days and crave it over and over.
    I think every person has a weak spot for a certain kind of food, guess theirs is added sugar.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What Acg67 is telling you is important -- you proved today that you can eat sugar without triggering a reaction. That's a good thing for you to realize, because you know that you don't have to cut out ALL sugar. (I think that's impossible, btw). You probably need to narrow down what foods do/don't trigger reactions, and then work on slowly reintroducing some of them later. Girlviernes gave you some good advice in that area. But you do have evidence that says you CAN consume sugar without then going on auto pilot and eating sugar by the spoonful.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    There is an acknowledged difference between 'free' sugar and sugar inherent in dairy and fruit. Even the WHO recently acknowledged that with their new sugar standards which recommend under 25 grams a day of free sugar.

I aim for under 25 grams of free sugar, but I don't sweat the sugar in plain dairy or fruit/vegetables.

In other countries, a gram of fiber subtracts a gram of sugar and that's reflected on the nutritional labels.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Today my log says I ate 22g sugar. The sugar came from mushrooms, green beans, carrots, cottage cheese, and two grams came from a protein bar but it was xylitol or something like that. I'm trying to go sugar free so did I actually succeed today? Fruit is different than regular sugar right? Btw I'm not low carbing it.

no, you ate sugar….but that is OK, sugar is not the devil ….

ten grams of apple sugar = ten grams of oreo sugar
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In other countries, a gram of fiber subtracts a gram of sugar and that's reflected on the nutritional labels.

I thought the deal in other countries was that fiber wasn't counted as a carb, not that it somehow negates sugar. (I don't know, though, I only recently learned that labels in other countries treated carbs differently.)

The WHO treats free sugar differently than inherent sugar because their concern isn't so much with sugar as with the effect in a diet of lots of low nutrient high calorie foods, which typically are those containing lots of free sugar (like sweets).
  • Demon_Lord
    Demon_Lord Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Actually, I rarely have food with added sugars. In fact some days I have no added sugars. However I almost always go over my limit for sugar because of fruit and milk. It didn't affect my weight at all.

It does matter where you get your sugar from. WHen you get sugar from natural sources the benefit is the other vitamins you along with it. There are only two types of natural sugars lactose(milk) and fructose(fruits). It is not the sugar itself that matters, but the benefits you get at the cost of it. IF you eat a lot of sugar because you had an apple, don't sweat it because it contains the vitamins you need. If you eat the sugar from muffins, however there is no health benefit, hence is called empty calories. Eating right is about eating plenty of foods that benefit you and eating the rest in moderation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Demon_Lord wrote: »
    Actually, I rarely have food with added sugars. In fact some days I have no added sugars. However I almost always go over my limit for sugar because of fruit and milk. It didn't affect my weight at all.

It does matter where you get your sugar from. WHen you get sugar from natural sources the benefit is the other vitamins you along with it. There are only two types of natural sugars lactose(milk) and fructose(fruits). It is not the sugar itself that matters, but the benefits you get at the cost of it. IF you eat a lot of sugar because you had an apple, don't sweat it because it contains the vitamins you need. If you eat the sugar from muffins, however there is no health benefit, hence is called empty calories. Eating right is about eating plenty of foods that benefit you and eating the rest in moderation.

So a blueberry muffin is bad??? Or does the blueberry sugar cancel the refined sugar...??
  • midpath
    Options
    Well I've been about a week without any added sugar (including added lactose or fructose if it wasn't dairy or fruit) and I feel pretty freaking good. I've been experimenting by eating what I wanted then logging at the end of the day and turned out I've been averaging between 1300-1500. Even today when I thought I overate. I'm getting full and actually having to force myself to eat more. I've been hitting my macros pretty well and my energy during workouts has gotten a wee better but we'll see in another week or two. Oh and I can actually sleep at night...and all day. Low energy during the day but it is supposed to pass.
  • nancynyhof
    nancynyhof Posts: 2
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I know that it's not necessary for me to take out added sugars but it's just not going to work unless I do. I don't understand how to moderate sugar. Its like I get on auto pilot scooping sugar from the canister into my mouth and a simple piece of bread or pasta can trigger it. I have tried and I simply can't do it. A bowl of cornflakes can send me into a deep sleep and when I wake up all I want is sugar. I can moderate everything else though. Idk this is the only option I've thought of to keep myself in my calorie range. Which is 1800 a day.
    It was necessary for me to eliminate added sugar completely. I tried eating it in moderation MANY times. But that just triggered ridiculous cravings and eventually binges. Sugar or bread were the trigger every single time. I could eat almonds, cheese, meat, and everything else in moderation...the added sugars were the problem. I believe some people are just more sensitive to added sugar than others.

I went from obese to a healthy weight, and cutting sugar was a big part of that. And now I never get sugar cravings and can't even remember the last time I binged. You are doing the right thing for you. It gets easier very quickly, and soon eating that way will just be habit and effortless.

I agree completely. I took processed foods and sugar out of my diet a year ago January 15th. I had 8 days of severe flu like withdrawals. I would not have beleived I was THAT physically addixtes to processwd sugar unless that had happened to me. I do not crave it at all now. In fact its been about 16 months since I had a "hmmm I'm not hungry but what sounds good to eat right now" thought. Its pretty cool not even thinking aboit food unless I'm hungry now. I beleive with all of my heart that the sugar and other man made ingredients in processed foods were at the heart of 90% of my aches, pains, brain fog, and low energy.

• eckhofft
    eckhofft Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to binge on food that was considered "bad." I guess people consider it bad because it has added sugar. I binged on that kind of food because I had a history of restricting "bad" foods. It was a cycle: restrict/binge, repeat over and over. I too, did not think I could eat foods with added sugar because when I did I would binge on them. My binge eating was not consuming 4000 calories at one time, but it was binge eating because I would feel like I couldn't control myself, I'd eat more sweets than I knew I should. and I would feel terribly guilty and ashamed afterwards. Example: I'd eat one Oreo cookie and then consume a whole package in the blink of an eye without really enjoying them. I finally freed myself from that lifestyle when I accepted that food is fuel and there are NO evil foods. There are foods that are more nutrient dense and foods that are less nutrient dense and all of them have calories and can fuel my body. I went through a "refeeding" period when I finally broke out of that awful restrict/binge mindset and boy did I refeed. After years of restricting I ate all the foods I'd tried so hard to restrict. That "refeeding" lasted several months and I did gain some weight as I knew I would when I decided to embrace the idea of Eating The Food. However, the weight gain was worth getting to the point I am now...I have a healthy relationship with food. I eat to achieve my goals without restricting/binge eating. I have 4 packages of Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs in a drawer. It is my favorite candy. I haven't had one for several days because I haven't had the desire to eat one. I might eat one tomorrow, if I have the desire and I will feel no guilt when I do eat one. They are yummy. If anyone would have told me 18 months ago a package of Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs would last more than two days in my house I would have told them they were crazy.

I hope you can find a way to make peace with sugar in a way that is sustainable for the long term, whatever way that may be.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I know that it's not necessary for me to take out added sugars but it's just not going to work unless I do. I don't understand how to moderate sugar. Its like I get on auto pilot scooping sugar from the canister into my mouth and a simple piece of bread or pasta can trigger it. I have tried and I simply can't do it. A bowl of cornflakes can send me into a deep sleep and when I wake up all I want is sugar. I can moderate everything else though. Idk this is the only option I've thought of to keep myself in my calorie range. Which is 1800 a day.

You can, trust me, sugar does not control you. However, it may take time to figure out how to make it work for you. There is nothing inherently bad about not including added sugars in your diet, so if that works for you, go for it. Unfortunately, for a lot of people that just reinforces the idea that they can't control themselves with sugar and it can increase their difficulty with sugar in the long run.

I would suggest a few things:
    1) Relax a little bit. The main thing right now is to keep tracking. Every day that you do that you are making progress.
    2) You can take a break from added sugars, but after a couple of weeks consider purposefully having them in small quantities (e.g. having a piece of chocolate). This will allow you to see that you really can have them and reduce your fear of them.
    3) The more you get some healthy fat, protein, and fiber (veggies, chia seeds, fruit) at each meal, and get regular exercise, you are setting yourself up physiologically to reduce sugar cravings.

I always respect what girlviernes has to say. I'll add fiber changes how sugars (lactose, fructose, sulacrose, fruit, donuts, whatever) are metabolized. The insulin impact of sugar in fruit ( chemically identical to the much maligned HFCS) is mitigated by the fiber in fruit. So fruit/vegetable juice (sugar with no fiber) has a high glycemic load whereas a dessert following a high fiber meal does not. This doesn't violate CICO, it just means fiber is a part of managing glycemic load. Getting fiber before/after/with the sugar will prevent insulin spikes. Which lead to cravings.