Treadmill Running = Pain! Elliptical = Numb! WTH

Options
Hello all! OK so I'm attempting to the C25K, and because it's hotter than a horrible person in church here, I'm using the treamill and elliptical. The only problem is after about 10 minutes or so of a combination of walking and running, I get a HORRIBLE pain above my ankle on the outside of my right leg. It's only the right leg, and about halfway between my ankle and calf. Also the pain is ONLY while running/walking. It doesn't stay sore when I stop. I thought OK, I'll use the elliptical instead. After about 15 minutes, I have numb toes on my left sidel I've heard of the running shoe issue, but have tried multiple and nothing seems to change. I thought it might be shin splints but wouldn't that be both sides? Also with shin splints, doesn't the pain continue after the running stops?

Replies

• baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The running pain sounds like shin splints - but I'm not a runner. I did get that pain when I tried to do the c25k though. The numbness I have too when doing the elliptical. I thinks its from the pressure on your toes and not moving your feet around like you do in normal walking. It helps me to stretch my calves beforehand and I also try to either pedal backwards when they get numb or try to lean back on my heals and move my toes around while going forward.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've had that pain! I don't know what causes it. My toes also go numb on the elliptical. You mention trying different shoes - if you haven't already go somewhere that they have the electronic sensor pad that you walk over & stand on to have them fit you for the right shoes. That made a huge difference for me. Also if you're on the treadmill make sure you're using a little incline (1.5 or 2.0) when you're running - 0 incline is equivalent to running slightly downhill outside, so you need to compensate for that.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    What shoes are you wearing? You need a good running shoe! I am a heel walker so when u run I am very hard on my heels, pounding on them. I wear shoes with extra cushion and support in the heel to absorb the impact. I wear Asics Gels. I wear different ones on the elliptical. And those are a half size bigger, giving me more room in the toe. I think the numbness is fairly common, and wearing shoes with more room in the toes should help. I got the numbness too! That's when I started wearing different shoes on the elliptical.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I had pain above my ankle, it was a stress fracture of the fibula.
  • HuskerforLife
    HuskerforLife Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :) I've tried many different running shoes! I have Nike's currently, but have also had Asic Gels, Reebok, Brooks Ghosts. I guess I'll have to go to a running store today and try again!
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I have had that pain too, not sure what it is. I get shin splints regularly though and they are much different (and yes- the pain does continue even after stopping). Hope you find a solution!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    try putting a small incline on the treadmill to see if that helps--like a .5 incline. My feet also tend to go numb on the elliptical. The way I handle this is to rock back onto my heels and press the pedals down that way for two or three revolutions. That's usually enough to get the blood flowing again. I'm a distance cyclist, and I often have issues with my feet going numb on long rides. It may just be a circulation problem.
  • lyoung79
    lyoung79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem I always do the treadmill on a slight incline as I have had ACL injuries in both knees and I find the incline has less inpact on my knees.
    As I have been building up my endurance and increasing my speed I have noticed that the pain on the outside of my right leg will start even after as little as 5 mins into the workout and within 15 mins my right foot goes numb. After I complete an hour (in pain entire time) the pain lingers for about 5 mins or so but goes away.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea why it happens only during my time on the treadmill. Also tried the eliptical and I get the same pain but it starts with numb feet and moves into my leg instead of other way around.
    I need to exercise so look forward to trying anyones suggestions