"shark week"

Options
When its TOM i am so dreadfully tired fatigued. It could be because I have battled anemia as long as I can remember or just because my body is basically bleeding to death ha. I am so tired the entire week like as if I popped 5 benedryl (exaggeration) and I'm trying to stay awake. Should I push myself to try and get in some exorcise or just be like welp wasted 5 days. Any advice to try and boost my energy a bit?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    When its TOM i am so dreadfully tired fatigued. It could be because I have battled anemia as long as I can remember or just because my body is basically bleeding to death ha. I am so tired the entire week like as if I popped 5 benedryl (exaggeration) and I'm trying to stay awake. Should I push myself to try and get in some exorcise or just be like welp wasted 5 days. Any advice to try and boost my energy a bit?

I'm not sure what all of this means but it seems like you need to see a doctor about the fatigue.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. You may be lacking in something. ...
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I actually find that the exercise helps boost me up, so I force myself to go no matter what. Doing something is better than nothing.

As to the anaemia, go see your doctor. You shouldn't have to live with it, and there are easier ways to fix it other than just taking iron tablets and having them block up your pipes ;)
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I felt very lethargic yesterday. I still did my walks and totaled 2 hours, but realized I needed to eat back some of my exercise calories to have energy for it. I did not want to do it (walk that is), but 15 minutes into it and I was in a rhythm. I felt great afterwards. I just stopped getting TOM (Thank you God for small blessings), but have those days where it's just grueling to get going, but once I start, it's even more gratifying after.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    TOM is a total writeoff for me. I have two really horrible days, where I couldn't do anything if I wanted to (which I don't) and 1-2 that are ok, but I still feel totally out of sorts, so maybe I'll walk, at most.

Def see a doc; some women are helped by iron & B vitamins. Some studies show fish oil (omega 3s) can help w pain and symptoms.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    am i the only one who noticed the OP user name. lol
  • uvi5
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    TOM is a total writeoff for me. I have two really horrible days, where I couldn't do anything if I wanted to (which I don't) and 1-2 that are ok, but I still feel totally out of sorts, so maybe I'll walk, at most.

Def see a doc; some women are helped by iron & B vitamins. Some studies show fish oil (omega 3s) can help w pain and symptoms.

I had pain problems (fibromyalgia), but I have been taking omega 3 supplements and a multi, daily. Along with the walks i'm doing, it seems the pain is gone. I'm not sure if I even have fibromyalgia anymore. Doc said that stress brings on fybro pain and the exercise i'm doing is helping that. But maybe the omegas are as well.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I get tired too. I force myself to get off my butt and into the gym. I feel waaaaayyyyy better after that
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

I had pain problems (fibromyalgia), but I have been taking omega 3 supplements and a multi, daily. Along with the walks i'm doing, it seems the pain is gone. I'm not sure if I even have fibromyalgia anymore. Doc said that stress brings on fybro pain and the exercise i'm doing is helping that. But maybe the omegas are as well.

Wow! Glad you're feeling better!
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon. I think it's usual, but not "normal" to have pms. It's a hormonal imbalance...usually a too high ratio of estrogen to progesterone, and usually too high stress (cortisol) in the system. You can google pms estrogen dominance and begin to study this for yourself.
    The way to know is to measure everything about yourself....all the stats relative to yourself, your body, your sleep, your food intake, your habits.
    Measure them, and focus on what needs to change. If you just give in to cravings, fatigue, symptoms,etc, it's perhaps not moving you forward.
  • uvi5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

Wow! Glad you're feeling better!

Ty :smiley:

Hope to the OP she finds what helps her as well. Pain sucks, unless it's exercise pain. I love that
    kind of pain.
    edit: referring to TOM pain. I used to have it baaaad. So my sympathies completely.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    As another poster said, PMS is usual but not normal. The only symptoms I've ever had are feeling more hungry the day before they arrive, and that's it. If I had even half of the symptoms mentioned here on this thread, I'd be at the doctors office quick smart. Effed if I'd be putting up with that every single month :disappointed:
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Being that I'm in perimenopause and go through spans of getting shark week every 2weeks, I do force a work out. I can only suggest doing what you feel comfortable doing in regards to intensity. i always start with 30 min of just warm up. It truly makes me feel better. Upping my iron and vitamin c and b12 during that time helps a lot.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I find that exercise generally gives me more energy and helps with cramping. I also like to eat a nice bloody steak, I feel like that helps when I feel like I'm basically bleeding out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Actually, when you exercise through it, you have more energy.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I never work out on the first day ..exhausted, painful cramps and too heavy. However I do more cardio based workouts on the rest of the days and I do feel much better. It does help.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I actually find that the exercise helps boost me up, so I force myself to go no matter what. Doing something is better than nothing.

As to the anaemia, go see your doctor. You shouldn't have to live with it, and there are easier ways to fix it other than just taking iron tablets and having them block up your pipes ;)

pretty much why i struggle with it because taking iron is the worst haha!
  • fishshark
    Options

i have an appointment in a couple weeks i changed insurances so its been long over due. I take fish oil and a B complex! I am always deficient in D and B vitamins so hopefully the doc can get me some good doses of those.
  • fishshark
    Options
    am i the only one who noticed the OP user name. lol

haha Fish is my nickname from the hubby (love the water) and shark is our dogs name ha. well its shark bait (finding nemo) but she destroys everything so its now just shark
  • fishshark
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon. I think it's usual, but not "normal" to have pms. It's a hormonal imbalance...usually a too high ratio of estrogen to progesterone, and usually too high stress (cortisol) in the system. You can google pms estrogen dominance and begin to study this for yourself.
    The way to know is to measure everything about yourself....all the stats relative to yourself, your body, your sleep, your food intake, your habits.
    Measure them, and focus on what needs to change. If you just give in to cravings, fatigue, symptoms,etc, it's perhaps not moving you forward.

I suffer from fragmented sleep so that just makes TOM even worse.. I agree though when I give in to cravings and just laying around it doesn't actually make me feel better. I took the day off yesterday and right now I'm going to my reformer Pilates class and going to the gym to at least walk.