WHYYYYY!

Options

Replies

• donna7763
    donna7763 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here's the good news! You've already started training your body to be active. Engaging in cardio activities is so much more important for your overall health than just losing weight. You'll continue to improve your health, your good vibe feeling (endorphin high), sleep better, and keep your weight in check. Find some type of cardio that you truly enjoy. Mix it up from time to time. Then you'll be more likely to stick with it.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    magerum wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am 100 lbs., 5'0" and 40 years old. I work out about 5 hours/week. I am averaging about 1900 calories a day. I can easily fit a 200-300 calorie treat in every day. I can fit a 400-500 calorie treat in too - but it takes a little more planning because I want to hit my protein goal.

A short stature does not doom you to a low calorie life.

1900 is low calorie. It's all subjective

You are right, what is considered high or low is subjective. What I did find interesting though is at 185 lbs. you eat 3500 calories. At that weight you are 1.85 times heavier than me. 1900 x 1.85 = 3515. And 1.94 x 1900 = 3686 (and you eat 4000 @ 194 lbs.). It seems like you gain a lot of calories with the extra 9 lbs :)
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    jakx39 wrote: »

Have you considered adding weights into your plan? The more muscle mass you have the more calories you will burn and the better it will be. I track my calories and wear a fitbit to track my steps. if there is a day that I feel the need to eat awfully then I know that I am going to go further, lift more, etc.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise a lot. I do wear a pedometer, walk an hour a day (10,000 steps) and eat back those calories.

But the key is READING YOUR DIARY and getting rid of the calories you don't care about. I found that by drinking a small glass of milk instead of 16 oz and substituting a low carb tortilla for bread on my lunchtime sandwich, I stopped eating cheese every day. I dropped 500 calories a day. That's how I lost weight.

I eat Ben and Jerry ice cream every day, but eat 1/4 cup and not 1/2 cup serving of the full cup my kids eat. Or I get frozen yogurt and eat a little more.

I eat nuts by the singles-fives and not by the 1/4 cup.

Bottom line: pick the food you like and budget your calories for it. Eat smaller portions of high calorie foods. Drop high calorie foods you don't mind dropping so you can't foods you really love.

It's not hard. Read your diary.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I run, because I enjoy it. BMR calculators say my BMR is 1259. I burn over 2,000 calories just by walking 10,000 steps a day. I take the stairs. I walk to work. I go for walks with my husband.

I'm 50, female, and 5'6" 135.

You don't have to go to a gym. Just MOVE.

Whhhaaaat?? It took me exactly 23,478 steps yesterday to burn that 1,062 calories. And i'm taller and weigh more than you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Does MFP community really eat really low calories (500 or less) 1 or 2 days a week so you can eat more the rest of the days... (BTW, I actually do IF 18/6 and have been for years and this works great)..

Does this really work week after week after week.. Seems counter productive just to be able to eat more calories the other 5 days a week..

@gia07 Your post is a bit confusing!
    What is the MFP community for instance? We are all individuals.

5:2 is a form of IF for weight loss (5 days at maintenance, 2 days at 500 for women or 600 for men). So a moderate weekly deficit.

Some continue after reaching goal with 5:2 to maintain (5 days fairly large surplus, 2 days low calorie) but I choose to do it as 6:1 (6 days slight surplus, one day low calorie.)

Don't understand your exercise question?
    When you are maintaining your weight and if you do or do not exercise?
    If you mean can you exercise on a fast day then yes you can (but you don't eat back exercise calories on a fast day).
    I exercise a hell of a lot over the course of a week and also did do when I was losing weight, training at maintenance is far easier than training in a constant deficit.

And yes some people find an uneven daily pattern much easier for adherence compared to same every day calorie allowance.
    Does this really work week after week after week..
    Yes I've been doing 5:2 or 6:1 since August 2012.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I run, because I enjoy it. BMR calculators say my BMR is 1259. I burn over 2,000 calories just by walking 10,000 steps a day. I take the stairs. I walk to work. I go for walks with my husband.

Just curious as to how you calculated your calorie burn? I used my Polar FT 7 and my FB Charge for my Power walk today. I'm 5'7", 134.4 Lbs. and my Polar HRM said I only burned 405 calories for going a little over 10,000 steps.
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options

i envy your calorie burn! i am 42; 5'6" and 131 pounds. my fitbit tells me i tend to burn around 600 cals at 15k steps.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    5' 7" and have weighed 152-156 for 15 months eating 2150 calories plus whatever MFP says I burn at the gym. I currently bench press, squat and dead lift half my bodyweight 3-5 times. I am working up to bring able to do my bodyweight, but I don't know how long that will take. I do yoga classes twice a week and a dance class once a week. One day is totally off except walking the dog. Find something you enjoy doing and do it. I hate running so I don't. I hate crowded group exercise classes, so I don't take them.
    Congrats on your loss so far and good luck on your journey.
  • SomeLouisvilleGuy
    SomeLouisvilleGuy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find using the fitbit actually helps get me up and doing something, especially if you choose to do some challenges with friends. I find myself now taking the long way around the office after grabbing water from the breakroom or leaving the restroom. That's one way to keep my step counts up. :smile:

I also try to get to the gym once or twice a week for either elliptical or strength training. I don't beat myself up if I miss a week or two because I've recently taken up running. I'm recovering from my first 10 mile race from Saturday and doubt I will make it to the gym until next week, or much later this week.

The fitbit approach is working well for me. Might not be for everyone, but it's working for me.
    You don't need to slog it out in the gym. I despise those cardio classes!!! :confounded: I recently bought a fitbit and around 20,000 steps a day gives me 800ish calories. Doing laps around my house or the block beats gym classes hands down for me!

• Christine_72
    Options
    Getting a fitbit is the best thing I've done thus far since trying to lose weight!
    I'm doing laps around the outside of my house as I'm typing this :D
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Whhhaaaat?? It took me exactly 23,478 steps yesterday to burn that 1,062 calories. And i'm taller and weigh more than you.

I think she means 2000 all day, not just from the run. I think running raises her TDEE for the day.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

She's so right. You may burn 2000 calories total. But not because of walking. I walk 10,000 steps too and it's closer to 600 (I don't have my numbers in front of me).

• Christine_72
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I think she means 2000 all day, not just from the run. I think running raises her TDEE for the day.

Yeah I know. Still, it literally takes me all morning, afternoon and night to burn 1200 calories. I can't imagine what I'd have to do to burn 2000 calories :open_mouth:
    her post sounded like she burns 2000 just by walking 10,000 steps...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I didn't do any extra exercise while losing weight that I didn't plan to do forever.

This. I don't kill myself trying to hit cardio goals. I barely ever do over 30 min. at once, because I don't want to and never will. I also arrange my calories so that I have low days and high days, though it took me awhile to grasp the simplicity of it because I ALWAYS ate straight up to my calorie goal. It looks like my maintenance calories are going to be 1800-1900, which kind of sucks. But I don't need to eat a donut every day either, so I should be okay.
  • jakx39
    jakx39 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    so your tdee raises the more activity you do right?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    jakx39 wrote: »
    so your tdee raises the more activity you do right?

yes

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

My BMR is 1259 (Doing nothing). Add activity and I burn about 2,000, yes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    00figg wrote: »

i envy your calorie burn! i am 42; 5'6" and 131 pounds. my fitbit tells me i tend to burn around 600 cals at 15k steps.
    Right. Add that to your BMR and you have what?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

Just curious as to how you calculated your calorie burn? I used my Polar FT 7 and my FB Charge for my Power walk today. I'm 5'7", 134.4 Lbs. and my Polar HRM said I only burned 405 calories for going a little over 10,000 steps.

My BMR is 1259. Then I move. The walking etc. burn the extra 600 or so.
    Both fitbit and MFP say I burn over 2k a day (my eating and maintenance suggests this is accurate).
    I'm not sure a polar HRM is the best way to calculate NEAT.