Best way to understand weight lifting ?

Options
ebyla85
ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
ok so I've been lifting weights I've been hearing so many different ways to do . I just barely started using Dumbbells . When can I increase the weight? When I feel it's easier to lift with no muscle soreness or don't wait until I get to not feel muscle soreness anymore and just increase the weight . And umm how often should I be lifting ?

Replies

• ebyla85
    Options
    Ugh this auto correct is so annoying I wish I could smack him in the face . :|
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're not following a good, pro-designed strength program, since they address basic questions like those. Go with one of the programs frequently mentioned here, like NROLFW or Stronglifts.. or work with a good personal trainer. :+1:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Probably the easiest way to go is to get New Rules of Lifting For Women or look up strong lifts. These are great programs and you’ll learn a lot from them.

The basics work like this:
    1) Lift heavy
    2) Rest and Recover
    3) If you were able to lift the weight for all the sets and reps last time, increase the weight.

• ebyla85
    Options
    Probably the easiest way to go is to get New Rules of Lifting For Women or look up strong lifts. These are great programs and you’ll learn a lot from them.

The basics work like this:
    1) Lift heavy
    2) Rest and Recover
    3) If you were able to lift the weight for all the sets and reps last time, increase the weight.

Thank you so much that all makes sense .
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    It sounds like you're not following a good, pro-designed strength program, since they address basic questions like those. Go with one of the programs frequently mentioned here, like NROLFW or Stronglifts.. or work with a good personal trainer. :+1:

No . I haven't followed a strength program :( .... I'll look on here for that info thanks much !
  • Mlloyd89
    Mlloyd89 Posts: 96
    Options
    Get a note book or weight lifting app track your work outs /reps/sets always aim to beat previous work out . Progressive lifting
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness does not mean you're gaining muscle or strength.

I recommend strong lifts 5 x 5 as a beginner program. If you want some great background information on why lifting heavy is beneficial then refer to the book "Thinner, Leaner, Stronger"
  • Allgoingtomakeit
    Options
    Q: When can I increase the weight? When I feel it's easier to lift with no muscle soreness or don't wait until I get to not feel muscle soreness anymore and just increase the weight . And umm how often should I be lifting ?

A: Increase the weight when you feel ready. It really is that simple. Soreness means you have damaged the muscles...usually in a good way. Microfibre tears that then super compensate = you getting stronger. Only lift weights again when you are pain free. Soreness = you have yet to recover. If it takes 7 days to recover, and it very well could depending on the intensity and training experience. If your new this its likely to happen. But still go to the gym if your sore, either train a different muscle group or do cardio. This really is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Awesome I'll look into that book. Wow I

I recommend strong lifts 5 x 5 as a beginner program. If you want some great background information on why lifting heavy is beneficial then refer to the book "Thinner, Leaner, Stronger"

never knew how much stuff I had to actual read :s I have to do some studying lol
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Q: When can I increase the weight? When I feel it's easier to lift with no muscle soreness or don't wait until I get to not feel muscle soreness anymore and just increase the weight . And umm how often should I be lifting ?

A: Increase the weight when you feel ready. It really is that simple. Soreness means you have damaged the muscles...usually in a good way. Microfibre tears that then super compensate = you getting stronger. Only lift weights again when you are pain free. Soreness = you have yet to recover. If it takes 7 days to recover, and it very well could depending on the intensity and training experience. If your new this its likely to happen. But still go to the gym if your sore, either train a different muscle group or do cardio. This really is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!

Oh ook thanks so much for the reply ! It's sinking in all this info I love it ! :)
  • Ca_Sunshine
    Ca_Sunshine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out bodybuilding.com yet? They have so many great programs for all types of people as well as educating articles on health and workout tips. If you sign up to Bodyspace, you can get a lot of extra support from great people there as well. :)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Rather than bodybuilding.com, I prefer weighttraining.com.
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Have you checked out bodybuilding.com yet? They have so many great programs for all types of people as well as educating articles on health and workout tips. If you sign up to Bodyspace, you can get a lot of extra support from great people there as well. :)
    nossmf wrote: »
    Rather than bodybuilding.com, I prefer weighttraining.com.
    thanks guys I'll check out both !