Logging exercise

Options
What's the best (most accurate?) way to log activity using MFP?

I use a heart rate monitor which gives me a calorie count for each work out. Am I right in thinking that if I burn X amount of calories cycling in 30 minutes, I should track it as whatever duration of cycling that MFP thinks burns that many calories?

What do others do in terms of logging for accuracy?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I log under the appropriate speed range from MFP but overwrite the number that MFP suggests with my calorie number from my HRM.

This site doesn't know if you are on a fast road bike, a MTB, hills, headwind etc. etc. so it's just a very rough estimate. You will find if you try a variety of ways to estimate calories you will get a very wide range of estimates. Consistency and the common sense to adjust if results don't work out is all you really need.

As long as your "workouts" are steady state cardio then the HRM should give you a reasonable estimate.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I do the same as other reply. I log the appropriate activity from the mfp database with accurate duration then overwrite it with the calorie count from my hrm. I also round it down so if it says I've burned 467 I'll call it 450.
  • MaggotPig
    MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks - didn't realise you could edit the calories :)