So, I've just started at the gym...

Options
Hello, I'm relatively new here, so please bear with my habit to ramble a little...

Me and my housemate have just joined a gym, both for the first time ever. We had an induction on Thursday where we were shown each machine (not in the best detail, I'll admit) and told we'd be given a six week program to follow. We're both relatively slim/in okay shape and very active in our jobs (which involves a lot of cardio), and our main goals are to tone up as much as possible, which we stated to the trainer giving our induction...
Though we're a little concerned that we seemed to be shown a lot of cardio machinery, and not much in terms of strength, so I'm just wondering what people here think about the program he's given us for six weeks.

- He first showed us the rowing machines, and told us he wants to have a race to see who can do 500m the fastest. Annoyingly, I've no memory of what the machines were set to on anything he gave us, but hopefully he'll have written it down for when we go. He said he wants us to achieve the 500m in 2.26 minutes, and we both got just over 3 minutes on our first try.
- Then he took us to the treadmills and said he wants us to do 10 minutes on interval, and from what I remember he set it to 2.4 and 3.6, which both us can happily walk at a good pace with only just breaking a sweat towards the end.
- The cross trainers were next and again he wants us to do 10 minutes interval, with the resistance at around 4 or 6 from what I remember, (I could be wrong, I just remember lots of 4s and 6s!)
- On the spinner he told us to do 10 minutes again and keep a small number in the corner of the screen above 50 on the dips and 60 on the highs... He didn't explain what this number was or why, so we've no clue!
- Then a squats machine, where you push yourself back with your legs. He told us to do 12 reps on whatever felt comfortable. He set me to do 12 reps on 6kg, though before we left I managed to do 12 reps on 6, then 8, then 10, then 12...
- There were a few more machines he showed us that I've no idea the names of, another leg one and three arms ones, all of which he didn't explain too much and didn't seem to challenge us on too much. Once we struggled (which would be a given since we'd never done it before) he kept lowering the weights right down without giving us much chance to really try and see what we COULD do. He had us do 12 reps on a weight where we weren't breaking too much of a sweat, then telling us that's what he wants us to do for 6 weeks.

^ All a little rambly, like I warned. But I'm just concerned whether this workout he's given us is really going to benefit us for what we want. We seem to be doing over half an hour on cardio machines, which we're fine at like I say, and then not really challenging us with any of the weights. He was making comments like "Don't be scared these machines will make you big and muscly", and I'm thinking 'Hey, what if I want to get a little muscly?'. I felt a little stereotyped by him, he assumed we wanted to do a lot of cardio and would be scared of any weights, but we're thinking "We get a good share of cardio with our jobs, we care less for that and really want to do the wights mainly!"

I'm just looking for any comments of feedback on my very first time in a gym really. Do you think he's given us a good program? Any tip or advice or any explanation on any of the machines? We'd never touched any of them before, and it seems we've not come away with more understanding than we began with anyway!
Thanks in advance for any replies :) xo

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You getting used to doing exercises with proper form with very low weights is fine. First you figure out how things work, then you add weights. What he gave you sounds like a standard routine he gives to everyone. Did you explain your goals? Like "I am already doing cardio daily, not interested in more cardio here, I want to focus on strenght training". If you explain these are your goals, and that you would like to try free weights and a proper strenght training routine, and he still insists on not changing anything, then you need a new gym or to figure out how to do things on your own.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to add muscle, you're going to have to work on a calorie surplus with a progressively increasing resistance (generally weightlifting) program. Machines are fine, but they leave a lot to be desired, and force you into bad positions. They're more suited for looking better in the gym, but not translating it to the real world.

The leg one you're talking about I believe would be a leg press machine. I'm not sure about the other ones, but starting at a high weight, and lowering it down during a workout isn't uncommon.

I would rather do it the other way, and start at a low weight, then ramp it up to my one rep max.

It sounds like you need to clarify your goals though.

What are you looking to do? Lose weight, or gain muscle? Unless you're a complete beginner, you won't be able to do both, and if you do both at the very beginning, it will be extremely short lived.

If you're looking to lose weight, eat at a calorie deficit, and do whatever you can to burn calories. But, while you're losing weight, you should be aware that you'll lose both fat, and muscle, so you'll need a weight training program to help keep as much muscle as possible while you lose.

If you're looking to pack on some muscle, eat at a slight calorie surplus (250 over maintenance) for a couple of months, and lift heavy. Each lifting session should be just a tiny bit heavier than the last until you've reached your max, and then deload 25% to start it all over again. After that, to make your muscle gain show better, eat at a slight deficit for another couple of months while continuing to lift heavy, although your lifts will likely decrease a little during this time as you're not eating enough calories, and you'll be losing muscle.

This is the bulk/cut cycle, and I've oversimplified it to the extreme level on purpose in order to give a brief overview on what they're used for.

Losing weight doesn't take much instruction as it is all about being in a calorie deficit. That's easy.

Packing on muscle, and making it look defined is much harder. I would suggest looking into weight programs like "New Rules of Lifting for Women." People around here love Stronglifts 5x5, but another popular one is Ice Cream Fitness. ICF has more varied lifts added in the program because its focus is slightly different than Stronglifts.

Ultimately, it is going to come down to you, and doing your own research. Figure out what you want out of your fitness, set a big goal, then set smaller goals to be used for checkpoints along the way, and go from there. As long as you don't come across like you know everything, or try to convince people that non-peer reviewed study information (like set point theory, or meal timing) is truth, everyone here is extremely helpful, and wanting to help you along the way.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    He sounds like a complete Knob to me. Judging by your profile photo you are already trim so I would do 20-30 mins of intervals on the cross trainer to warm yourself up then hit the weight machines for toning.

Do something like 3 sets of 12 reps on each machine with a weight you can manage 10-20kg
    Then as you get stronger you can increase weight and or reps.

I used to finish off with 10 min on the rower, nowt to hard to cool down.

Im sure someone from the strength/lifting gang will come along and give you a better programme but that's what I used to do in the gym and it worked a treat.

I have since come to the conclusion that gyms are diseased, germ ridden, hell holes and now the outside world is my gym and i would never set foot in one again, but hey ho that's me.

Good luck with your workout.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    If you are already getting a lot of cardio conditioning at work I would personally do a less than 15 minute cardio warmup and hit the weights 3x a week. Does the gym have free weights like barbells and dumbbells? If so I would use a beginner program like new rules of lifting for women, starting strength or strong curves. If you are eating at a deficit you will get leaner because you'll be losing body fat.

As stated above if you want to build muscle, which takes a long time for women, you need to eat at a surplus while you work your lifting program.

If you like you can throw in more cardio on non lifting days but with only 10 pounds to lose it's really up to you. Personally I would do at least one flexibility/balance workout a week. I do yoga for that purpose. Keep asking questions and doing research to learn what will get you to your goals.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP, it sounds like he didn't take the time to know you before he gave you a cookie cutter routine. One written for cardio bunnies who are scared of the weights. I would do ONE of the cardio options he gave you, then go straight for the weight machines. Experiment a little and find a weight where you can do 10-12 reps with good form. The last few reps should be hard. Do 2-3 sets.

Just cause I'm rotten....keep a log of what you're doing, and show it to the trainer when he checks your progress in 6 weeks. Don't be afraid to ask someone to remind you how a machine works if you've forgotten.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. Toning up today has a different meaning than toning up 20 years ago. Then, people just wanted to be slim. Now, slim girls want to be fit.

I would perform a cardio warmup, then start lifting. When I am helping someone new, I usually start them on a full-body circuit for about 3 weeks, usually starting on machines to get them comfortable and familiar with the equipment and their bodies. Beginning in week 2, I usually begin showing some free weights (dumb bell/bar bell) alternatives to the machines. In week three, we move into compound free weight exercises, transitioning away from the machines. After the first 3 weeks, the program changes depending on their goals. If they are looking to tone up and/or lose fat, they generally stay on a circuit routine for a while longer, increasing the weights each workout as able. If they are more interested in strength, we move to a training split, where different parts of the body are worked on different days.

At any rate, make sure your goals are clear and ask questions if you are unsure of his program or decisions.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you got a generic tour and not a personalized workout plan. Go back and inquire about getting a specific plan based on your needs.
  • gerryleanne92
    gerryleanne92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies everybody!

I definitely explained my goals. We told him what our job is and how much cardio work is already involved, and said we're not overly fussed on doing any more than we need, and that we're more interested in toning up, seeing some definition and getting "fit" rather than just looking in shape. When he made his comment telling us to not be scared about getting muscle, I told him that I wanted muscle. I'd understand him giving us cardio if we flailed a little on our induction, but we barely broke a sweat on those machines - I feel like we'll be wasting half an hour in the gym every time going through the cardio that doesn't effect us. So we're not sure weather to up it and push ourselves, to then show him, or just cut it down/out even though it's on the program he's set us...

peachyfuzzle, I am looking to add muscle. But I definitely struggle with the eating in calorie surplus, I'm always a few hundred under as I've only just found, so I'm going to soon look into calorific but still good food that I can add in to try and get up my calories!
    I don't have any goals in terms of weight, I'm around 7 stone 10 (22 years old, 5'2" with a petite frame) and have always been this size and weight really. I've set my goals on here to "maintain weight" since I didn't really know where to set it if my goal is to tone up... Should I set it to gain then? Or will I lose before I gain now I've started properly working out?
    Thank you for those tips though, I'm entirely new to it so I know what to look into now! :)

The gym has two sections, one side with the cardio and weight machines where he showed us and has based our program around, but there's also a free weights section too. I'm very much interested in working up to doing that, so thank you for the recommendations of where to look into!
    It's strange, I am a complete beginner so I have no idea what anything is, and barely any idea what I'm talking about; but still something doesn't feel right about the program he set us.

Also, we're starting to attend kettlercise and yoga classes there regularly, and there's a few others too such as circuits, cave, insanity etc...
    We're going to give them all a try at some point to see what they are, but if anybody can recommend which sorts of classes would fit what we want, that'd be appreciated :) xo
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you know what you want so don't give up until you get it.

Just a thought, The word "tone" is really a marketing term the fitness industry uses to attract women but doesn't really mean anything as muscles do not lose their tone nor do the sag. What most women mean by tone is they want to be firmer, the way you do that is by either losing body fat or by adding muscle mass. Most women fear adding mass as they think they will end up looking manly. That is actually very hard to do and quit often the women bodybuilders you see who look this way take steroids to do so. If your body fat percentage is already where you want it then you are correct, you want to "lift heavy" to add muscle.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you can and are willing to continue working with this trainer, ask him to give you an equipment tour, showing you how to use everything that is there. I still don't understand why gyms/trainers don't take that first step in educating their patrons on the equipment and free weights.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    peachyfuzzle, I am looking to add muscle. But I definitely struggle with the eating in calorie surplus, I'm always a few hundred under as I've only just found, so I'm going to soon look into calorific but still good food that I can add in to try and get up my calories!
    I don't have any goals in terms of weight, I'm around 7 stone 10 (22 years old, 5'2" with a petite frame) and have always been this size and weight really. I've set my goals on here to "maintain weight" since I didn't really know where to set it if my goal is to tone up... Should I set it to gain then? Or will I lose before I gain now I've started properly working out?
    Thank you for those tips though, I'm entirely new to it so I know what to look into now! :)

Well, other than "newb muscle," you cannot gain muscle when you're in a deficit because there is nothing to fuel the building of new cells. At the very beginning, you might notice a very slight decrease in your measurements which don't equal out to a change in weight, and that would be your newb muscles forming while you're burning the fat away. After a short while, this will stop, and then the game is to maintain as much muscle as you can while you continue to lose weight... in the losing weight sense, at least.

The way to gain muscle is to find your maintenance calories through experimentation, and then eat somewhere on the order of 250 over that for a good while. Normally, women will gain about half the muscle per week that men will, so you're looking somewhere between 0.25-0.5lb muscle gain per week depending on the weight/how often you're lifting, and how big your calorie surplus. If you go too much over your surplus for too long of a time, you'll start gaining more fat than muscle.

I'd suggest to start out small. Find your maintenance calories, and then eat 250 over for a couple of months while you lift heavy 3-4x/week for a couple of months. You'd expect to gain 5-10lbs, of which some will be fat, and some will be muscle.

After that, to get more definition, you'll need to lose the fat you've gained by eating in a deficit, but retain the muscle you gained by still continuing to lift heavy.

Rinse. Repeat. It sounds easy, but there is a lot more that goes into it.

As for getting to your surplus goals, you can eat things that are calorie dense like oils when cooking, or nuts, and dairy. People like to claim that "clean" bulking by eating only "clean" food is better than "dirty" bulking by eating whatever the hell you need to eat in order to reach your calorie goals, but as far as I know there isn't any conclusive research that shows any special benefit of one over the other.

Research is key though. Only you know you, and what fits best into your life. Research, research, research. Don't let other people bring their own pre-conceived notions, and broscience into your world.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your trainer has no idea what he's doing. He's probably never even laid hands on a barbell before.

You said your goal is to gain muscle. If that's you in the picture, you already have a good base to start. Cardio is not necessary at all to reach your goal. The only thing you need to do is lift and eat.

Machines, for the most part, suck. You should be lifting primarily free weights and your training should revolve mostly around compound lifts - squats, presses (chest/shoulder), pulls (rows, chins/pullups, deadlifts). If you'd like, you can add isolation lifts to focus more on a certain muscle; but compounds are the "meat and potatoes" of lifting and are the foundation of every good routine.

There are plenty of beginner routines out there. Some I like are All Pros beginner routine and ICF 5x5. But you can find your own.

Of course you need to eat enough to gain muscle as well, so make sure you're in a calorie surplus daily.

Lift and eat. That's all there is to it.