How do you feel after a workout?

Options
I have been having this debate with a friend for a while now. I tell him when I exercise it gives me energy. He tells me, I'm not working out hard enough because I should be worn out from my work out. How do you feel after a work out?

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Slightly out of breath
    Hot and sweaty
    Possibly a little bit sore
    Thirsty

I don't know that I'm filled with energy right after a workout… but I agree that in general… it gives me more energy. I work a graveyard shift and I haven't had to take a nap on my lunch since I started working out. I also can do 24 hour days on Saturdays without being a raging lunatic or a royal b***h. The differences you and your friend are seeing could simply be a matter or timing.
  • amwood1528
    amwood1528 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    cincysweetheart thanks for your response. I was telling him I think it would be best for me to work out in the morning because after my night work out I have a lot of energy.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Usually it perks me up. I usually want to take a nap at 4 or 5 pm, so I go for a run at that time instead and that gives me the energy to get through the rest of the day. The only time I'm worn out and exhausted from my workout is when I do my highest mileage in my marathon training, and that's followed quickly by water, food and naps.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I work out before 10:30 a.m. and I have energy all day and not tired at all. Actually I have interrupted sleep patterns now. I am full of energy and it is weird how I sleep differently now than I did before exercising. I work out 6 days a week..

I do have to give myself an hour to cool down and relax and eat something after the workout and then I am ready to go.. I then go into hyper mode..
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Walking out of the gym after a workout be like

y7gnkdcdgsnh.jpg
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A weird mix of wanting to vomit all over the car, but also like I could take on the entire world.... while vomiting.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I'm normally first in the gym at 5am (Motivates me) and I go to bed around 830pm so when I leave the gym my body is wide awake and ready for the next 12 hours. I do use C4 pre workout so you can imagine an empty gym, well rested body, and high energy I never have to wait or be disturbed its freaking intense!! I love it!!!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    After a Insanity HIIT workout; drained and sweaty, and very hungry.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    At first I'm alert and energetic, but once my heart rate slows down I feel deliciously sleepy. It's hard to explain.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »

y7gnkdcdgsnh.jpg

LOL

This

But with strutting
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Strong, proud and starving.
  • lovexsaf
    lovexsaf Posts: 3
    Options
    I also have energy but then I get sleepy after a while.
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Physically, I am always exhausted, hot and sweaty. Emotionally, I feel accomplished! The next day, I am starving around breakfast time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    SWOLE. Dopamine rush is high, so you sense more energy even though that's physically not the case. But even the most tired, down and out people get energized with a rush of adrenaline. Happens all the time when they hear good news or are faced with a dangerous situation (fight or flight).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tippie2015
    tippie2015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Right after I work out I am tired but then I feel energetic.
    I think exercise boosts your endorphins so it's natural to feel better.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Depends on the intensity of my ride. but my goal is to be tired, not exhausted but tired enough to get home and take a nap. I can ride at 100% max effort for 90 minutes and be near exhausted and ready to collapse or 5 hours at 70% and be ready to go run errands for the rest of the day.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    it depends on how hard I work myself and how long I spend at the gym, how long ago I ate. If I have a good productive workout and don't wear myself out, I do feel a pickup. It's because of the endorphins you get afterward. If I don't have some pep I feel like it's effort to move my body

I personally think your friend is crazy. how is there a wrong way to work out?
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options

y7gnkdcdgsnh.jpg

This. Lol. My gym is close enough to walk to and from...so I'm pumped up my entire walk home, then I eat a lot of food and crash.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Slightly out of breath
    Hot and sweaty
    Possibly a little bit sore
    Thirsty
    Yep, all that. And happy. And maybe a little wobbly if I've done cardio harder than I'm used to.
    But I have found that I shouldn't exercise later in the evening, because it keeps me awake.
    :sigh: Yet another reason to get my butt out of bed early & hit the gym before work. I hate mornings.
    And no, I don't work to exhaustion, other than on some weightlifting exercises, and then it's not really intentional.
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    Options

y7gnkdcdgsnh.jpg

seem pretty accurate