Entering sodium / salt into the food database

Options
2»

Replies

• spaceLem
    spaceLem Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I need to take care of my sodium levels, and still the biggest problem I find with MFP is people mixing up g of salt/mg of sodium.

In the UK we don't get sodium on our packaging, just salt. The simple rule is 1 g of salt = 400 mg of sodium (well 393, but close enough). All you have to do is multiply the g of salt by 400 and that's the value you need.

Please MFP, can you do something about this? Practically every time I add some food the salt content is all over the place.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    :o Oh my gosh, I had no idea! I've even corrected a few entries (that maybe were even correct) because where I live the nutrition tables for packaged foods only show the salt content. Now I regret having done that. :(

Same here. although most that I've ever corrected are where the entry says 1, 1.6 or whatever and is clearly the grams figure. However, I'd change it to 1000 or 1600 because I assumed I needed to convert grams to milligrams and had no idea sodium was calculated differently to salt. Not sure how / why I realised but I now have a calculator website saved to my favourites and use that to calculate the sodium equiv of anything I'm adding/ updating.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I've seen this discussion before, and it's really confusing. Fortunately, most of my day's eating don't come anywhere near the limit, so it doesn't bother me.
  • ruchirj33
    ruchirj33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi - can I track salt/iodine just like vitamins when I enter any food?