Alternatives to swimming

Options
Hi everyone,

For various reasons I am unable to go swimming and would like to know if there are any exercises that would achieve similar results (I'm probably thinking in terms of toning legs and arms, but anything will do).

I read somewhere that high-rep, low-weight weight training might help, but don't really what counts as high reps - or low weights ;-)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to improve body composition the best thing you could do would be to lift heavy weights at lower reps, doing large compound exercises. You'll stimulate the most muscle fibres that way and burn more calories. High rep low weight stuff is good however it's not nearly as efficient as lifting heavy.

If your aim is to improve your cardiovascular health as well I would suggest HIIT or interval training.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for more of a low-impact activity, cycling and elliptical machines are great on the joints and they really offer some amazing toning benefits. In just a week I've noticed a difference in how my legs look. The muscles are becoming much more defined. You wouldn't think that keeping your arms stationary would have much of a toning effect either but with cycling your arms really do get a workout because you have to support your upper body weight on those handlebars. After about 40 minutes my arms are getting really sore. With the elliptical you can use the swinging handlebars to get in some arm exercise.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to improve body composition the best thing you could do would be to lift heavy weights at lower reps, doing large compound exercises. You'll stimulate the most muscle fibres that way and burn more calories. High rep low weight stuff is good however it's not nearly as efficient as lifting heavy.

If your aim is to improve your cardiovascular health as well I would suggest HIIT or interval training.

^This