Learning to eat vegetables

Options
How do you get veggies in your diet?
I'm learning how to eat a pound of veggies a day.
At first, it seemed daunting.
This morning, I kinda figured it out. 1 pound of veggies, divided into a very small pot of veggie soup, a stir fry, a salad, and some into smoothies. I've already weighed them and made the dishes.
The Soup: Just a blend of parsley, carrot, celery in water and seasonings.
The Stir Fry: kale and onion with 1/2 T refined coconut oil.
The Salad: romaine lettuce with purple cabbage (to be dressed later with some homemade hummus and avocado, possibly blended).
The Smoothies: two smoothies today, blended with dandilion leaves and parsley.
Protein sources today will be nuts (hazelnuts, brazil nuts, almonds, cashews, macadamia), mahi mahi or salmon, vegan grain-free protein powder (garden of life), and seeds (chia, sunflower). There's also protein in avocado and cocoa powder.

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

maybe I am not getting the jist of this question.
    same way you get anything in your diet.
    I go to the market and purchase them, store them in the fridge, and then prepare them in a delicious manner and consume them. no ?
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    There's something of an art form in going from the "it's a good idea to eat lots of veggies" to actually eating lots of veggies, all while feeding a large, busy family and completely changing your approach to eating/habits.
    I'm glad it's been easy for you!
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat at the moment. I'm learning to eat vegetables that's not only broccoli. So each week I'm trying to buy a new veggie that I haven't had. The other week it was spaghetti squash which I hated by itself but covered in sauce it was awesome! My next try will be eggplant, I got a lovely recipe from a very nice MFPer.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    my favorite breakfast of late is this kale and chorizo frittata, although i've substituted spinach and italian spicy sausage when i can't find kale or chorizo.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/03/kale-chorizo-frittata/
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat at the moment. I'm learning to eat vegetables that's not only broccoli. So each week I'm trying to buy a new veggie that I haven't had. The other week it was spaghetti squash which I hated by itself but covered in sauce it was awesome! My next try will be eggplant, I got a lovely recipe from a very nice MFPer.

What's your eggplant idea? I've had Trader Joe's eggplant Parmesan but have yet to make it myself. I loved it and have also seen Lasagna recipes using it or zucchini.
    Because of you, gonna try a new 'something' out this week as well. ;)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm learning how to eat a pound of veggies a day.
    At first, it seemed daunting.
    This morning, I kinda figured it out. 1 pound of veggies, divided into a very small pot of veggie soup, a stir fry, a salad, and some into smoothies. I've already weighed them and made the dishes.
    The Soup: Just a blend of parsley, carrot, celery in water and seasonings.
    The Stir Fry: kale and onion with 1/2 T refined coconut oil.
    The Salad: romaine lettuce with purple cabbage (to be dressed later with some homemade hummus and avocado, possibly blended).
    The Smoothies: two smoothies today, blended with dandilion leaves and parsley.
    Protein sources today will be nuts (hazelnuts, brazil nuts, almonds, cashews, macadamia), mahi mahi or salmon, vegan grain-free protein powder (garden of life), and seeds (chia, sunflower). There's also protein in avocado and cocoa powder.

You do really well in getting in a great assortment of them! Might give some of these tips a try. Thanks! :)

I see some mention pureeing them and tossing them in sauces, pasta sauces, things like that. Kinda like with kids you sneak it in. I've fallen in love with raw Cauliflower lately.. no dip just plain. It's crunchy, yummy and I know it's good for me. So it makes me happy that I like it. lol
  • Justygirl77
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank-you for the practical suggestions!
    I just got an awesome nutribullet rx, and an enameled cast-iron pan (for a frittata perhaps!), I think I can do some of these ideas.

Recent recipe invention:
    1 mug of basic vegetable soup, added some miso, 1T almond butter, seasoned with onion powder. Honestly it was delicious! Hearty snack.

@Hearts_2015 Thanks!!
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love me my steamed veggies, tastes great if you ask me.
    What you could also try is to add some self made peanut sauce. Everything tastes awesome with peanut butter / sauce!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Peanut sauce on veggies is awesome! I find veggies I like and eat a lot of them! Mushrooms for one...pretty much any thing smothered in sautéed mushrooms tastes delicious to me! I got a mandolin so I can try making squash "chips". got some yellow squash, will slice it thin and roast it with cooking spray and sea salt.... made some by accident and they were super good!
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Peanut sauce on veggies is awesome! I find veggies I like and eat a lot of them! Mushrooms for one...pretty much any thing smothered in sautéed mushrooms tastes delicious to me! I got a mandolin so I can try making squash "chips". got some yellow squash, will slice it thin and roast it with cooking spray and sea salt.... made some by accident and they were super good!
    Hahaha, accidents are the best recipes sometimes lol. That sounds really good, I'd like to try that chip with hummus! I need a mandolin, if I don't cut myself to badly with one :#

• Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've decided that I'm going to try a new vegetable at least once a week and try a new preparation of an old standby once or twice a week. I also have started having a small salad with my protein at lunch most days (with carrots/bell peppers and hummus as a snack)
    Then now that it is summer I add kale/cucumber/spinach to smoothies in the morning
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the ways that I have vegetables:

Breakfast: sautéed vegetables in an omelet, for example, mushrooms, green peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, or scrambled eggs with salsa

Lunch: lettuce and roasted red pepper as part of a sandwich. Or hummus with celery, carrots, and cut-up peppers to scoop it up. Or leftovers from dinner.

Snacks: "baby" carrots, pickles, cucumbers, celery sticks

Dinner: this is where I go to town. Salads can have a lot of veggies, basically anything that tastes good raw, from various lettuces to shredded or chopped or diced carrots, celery, cucumber, artichoke hearts, radishes, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, etc. Steamed or sautéed veggies make good side dishes.

Roasted vegetables are great, too: cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, onions, garlic, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini or other summer squash, peppers, green beans, carrots, parsnips, winter squash…. Just toss with salt, pepper, and a bit of olive oil, stick in an oven at around 450°F, and stir every 8-10 minutes until they're just a bit burnt on the edges and tender. I used to hate cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, by the way, until I discovered how to roast them. In the summer, some of these can be sliced, brushed with oil, and grilled (eggplant and zucchini are great that way).

Indian cuisine can be great with vegetables, either along with meat or vegetarian. Just in the last couple weeks I have made curried chicken with tomatoes and onions; mushrooms and onions with coriander; a chickpea dish with onions, ginger, tomatoes, and green peppers; and tuna with jalapeños and ginger. In the freezer I have leftovers of several other homemade Indian dishes.

Then there are soups. The sky's your limit. Last night I had split pea soup with carrots, celery, onions, and barley (topped with a bit of crumbled bacon), followed by a green salad. I'll also make kale and white bean soup, a Portuguese standby; brown rice and lentil soup with whatever veggies are on hand; and minestrone.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    Thank-you for all these ideas!