Confused ketosis dieter

Options
2»

Replies

• alicer461
    alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As for the fibre vs fiber debate I understand English and Americans spell certain things differently but I wasn't speaking to any nationality in particular, all help is much welcomed
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    alicer461 wrote: »
    As for the fibre vs fiber debate I understand English and Americans spell certain things differently but I wasn't speaking to any nationality in particular, all help is much welcomed

The whole point of the fibre vs fiber has nothing to do with spelling, it has to do with how food is labeled in your country. If the label says "fiber" it's going to count fiber as a carb. If the label says "fibre" it's not counting fiber as a carb. If you are following American-centric advice telling you to deduct your fiber from carbs, you'll be miscounting, because they weren't included to begin with. If you're using a product made and labeled in America, the carb count will be artificially higher than it should be, because it doesn't make fiber a separate category.
  • alicer461
    alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

The whole point of the fibre vs fiber has nothing to do with spelling, it has to do with how food is labeled in your country. If the label says "fiber" it's going to count fiber as a carb. If the label says "fibre" it's not counting fiber as a carb. If you are following American-centric advice telling you to deduct your fiber from carbs, you'll be miscounting, because they weren't included to begin with. If you're using a product made and labeled in America, the carb count will be artificially higher than it should be, because it doesn't make fiber a separate category.

Sorry I didn't realise :o so with myfitnesspal it says fiber and I just add foods from the system so should I be deducting fibre form my net carbs still ?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Sorry I didn't realise :o so with myfitnesspal it says fiber and I just add foods from the system so should I be deducting fibre form my net carbs still ?

Depends on where the food came from. If you use the web instead of the mobile app, anything in the database that was entered by another user will have an asterisk in front of it. If it's user entered and from a local store/brand, they probably entered it from the label in your country, which would already have the fiber deducted. You should still check the info for accuracy, but wrt the fiber/carb count, it should already be correct. If, however, there is no asterisk, it's a default entry from MFP, and it will have fiber included in the carb count.

Realistically, as long as you aren't also monitoring net carbs for health reasons, and you aren't including things like breads and candy, the margin between net and whole carbs will be around 15-20, meaning if you stay under 20g net or 40g total, you will most likely be able to stay in ketosis. If that's not working for you, or you just want to be more accurate, your best bet is to create your own entries for any food that includes carbs and doesn't have an accurate entry already from your own country. It sounds like a lot of work, but you should find over time that you have a base set of foods that you create most of your meals from, and after a few weeks or so, it should only be the odd new ingredient you need to enter manually.

Also, be cautious of the bar code scanner. If it's a product sold in multiple countries with different tweaks to ingredients, scanning a bar code may get you info for a different version of the product that's sold somewhere else. You also have to watch store brands like Aldi, Jewel, and Safeway, because they are international chains, and store brand in one country may not match store brand in another.