Over 50 and getting accustomed to not eating what I want

Options
Started watching the calories 2 days ago and don't like what I see but when I look in the mirror I like what I see even less. Put on 24 kilos in last 10 years and need to get rid of it to become me again. Need some friends please.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Aw. You can still eat things you want, just less. And maybe not all the time every day. I want ice cream and gelato and wine, and trust me...No one is taking that away from me. And I've lost 30 pounds. Take a look at some diaries if you need ideas!
  • nodisciplineever
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Where are these diaries? Site newbie...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Started watching the calories 2 days ago and don't like what I see but when I look in the mirror I like what I see even less. Put on 24 kilos in last 10 years and need to get rid of it to become me again. Need some friends please.

Welcome! Have you joined the (peri-)menopause group? Lots of women there will truly understand what you're trying to navigate.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Where are these diaries? Site newbie...

Just click on someone's user name, and you can see if their diary is open. You might be able to search for a thread where people all have open diaries they share as well. Mine is open.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think after a while your eyes will open up and you will learn that foods can be delicious and still help you reach your goals!
    I'm 46 and feel like I'm just now finally learning how to really eat right!
    Feel free to add me as well, we can share ideas!
  • PacificLotus
    PacificLotus Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Welcome - feel free to add me. Almost 50 and it's definitely more of a struggle now than in the past. But it can be done!!
  • mjcall2013
    mjcall2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :) I'm going to be 60 in June, so I feel ya! You can do it! I did, but it takes a while. Try to be patient and learn to like, what I call, real food. You'll be amazed after about 2 months how much you enjoy eating "better for you" food. When you have that occasional "cheat day" you'll realize that the old food is not as enjoyable as it once was-so salty and just not as desirable (except for pizza...ha ha...try not to go there!) I lost 60 pounds in about 18 months, then gained 24 back, and have finally lost that! It's always a challenge. I didn't start using the food tracking until Jan 14th of this year. A real eye opener for sure. Love it, but is sometimes a challenge to use. And workout (find what you love) every day if you can. I find that if I skip one day, it becomes 2 or 3 and then I just stop altogether. So try 20 mins everyday if you can. Good luck!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm 56 and eating half of what I ate 20 years ago. Yes, I can eat "what I want" but I have to control the quantities, sacrifice calories elsewhere during the day, or work out extra hard. That being said, if you plan your meals wisely, you can feel quite satiated. I have an open diary, and if you checkout yesterday's menu, I was able to eat a decent amount of food for 1200 calories or so.
  • darylchilds59
    darylchilds59 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of you.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Sounds exactly like me. Never had to worry about it until recently. Following your intake will definitely help.