Water While Running in the Park

Options
I'd like to run outdoors more often, but the park by my house doesn't have water fountains. Do any of you guys use a handheld water bottle? Any suggestions? Thank you!

Replies

• wreckzrainer131
    wreckzrainer131 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'd check Amazon
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to carry your water in your hand look up a camelback. I use one when I'm hiking a and hunting. Not very bulky. Has compartments in case you need to carry a wallet, phone or snacks and isn't too bulky
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe it depends on your park, but I’ve found I can leave a bottle of water and it will be there when I come back around. Other than that, a camelback is a good idea.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends on distance. Up to 12Km I don't carry any water, for longer than that I use a Camelbak.

Not personally keen on handhelds, but you can get a belt that carries a bottle; Nathan, TNF, Camelbak, Inov-8 are all solid brands.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I usually only carry a drink if it's really warm and/or if I'm going a long distance (which to me is over 10k). If I'm doing laps in the park by my house, I'll just leave a bottle on a bench and keep an eye on it.

Sometimes I carry a bottle. I also have a running belt that fits a water bottle, but it's awkward. I think the bottle is supposed to go in the back, but I have a big bottom and it bounces around too much. And it's hard to reach. So I wear it in the front and look ridiculous. I don't run long distances in hot weather often enough to bother investing in something else at the moment.

Or I carry seedless grapes in my pocket. Each grape is like a sip of water, but I don't splash it all over my face.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Camel back!!!!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on distance and heat. If I run 10K - 15K and it is not too hot, I do not carry anything. For a half marathon I have a water waist belt (you get them in running shops, outdoor shops...). Sometimes instead of a water belt I carry a handheld bottle with elastic grip band, but I prefer not to have to hold a bottle.
    Stef.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap 33.9 oz water bottle from Walmart and use that on my long runs (9-13 miles). I don't mind carrying it. Gives my right tricep a work out. :wink:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have a 20 oz Nathan waterbottle that has a handle and a pouch that I keep gels in. I take it on 14+ mile runs, or sometimes shorter runs when it's really hot and humid in the summer (like ~10 miles or so). I've had the same one for several years, and it's no worse for wear! Thinking about switching hands and manuevering with the bottle gives me something to think about besides how tired my legs are sometimes!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap 33.9 oz water bottle from Walmart and use that on my long runs (9-13 miles). I don't mind carrying it. Gives my right tricep a work out. :wink:

Do you run with your arm straight?
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a 20 oz Nathan waterbottle that has a handle and a pouch that I keep gels in. I take it on 14+ mile runs, or sometimes shorter runs when it's really hot and humid in the summer (like ~10 miles or so). I've had the same one for several years, and it's no worse for wear! Thinking about switching hands and manuevering with the bottle gives me something to think about besides how tired my legs are sometimes!

This. Pretty much exactly, although I also have a smaller 9 oz. Nathan bottle that I'll take along on 5-10 mile runs. I also have the Nathan speed hydration belt, but I find it more cumbersome than just carrying a bottle. The larger size Nathan bottle has a pocket that easily fits my iPhone 5, ID, key, Chapstick, and gum/nutrition.

Just realized I'm carrying my larger Nathan bottle in my profile pic actually.

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    How long are you running? If its an hour or less your body has plenty of water inside already, even on a really hot day.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've found drinking a lot of water the night before I run really helps so I don't need to carry anything for my 10km runs or less. I have run with a little water bottle (400mL) in my hand with a sweatband over it/my hand so I don't drop it, but the sound of water sloshing about really bugs me.

Drinking an electrolyte replacement water (like berocca? Or Hydralyte) seems to help too, although that may just be psychosomatic.
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I only drink for very long runs, and usually G2. (like if I'm running 6+ miles). I use a disposable water bottle so that I can toss/recycle it when I'm done drinking or drop it somewhere if I get too annoyed to pick up later (NBD if it gets taken). I'm not a huge fan of carrying it, but I don't mind a fairly skinny bottle as long as I have a flip belt or something to keep my key/phone out of my hands.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Do you run with your arm straight?

I was also wondering how she holds the bottle (and why she wouldn't switch arms from time to time).

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    I only drink for very long runs, and usually G2. (like if I'm running 6+ miles). I use a disposable water bottle so that I can toss/recycle it when I'm done drinking or drop it somewhere if I get too annoyed to pick up later (NBD if it gets taken). I'm not a huge fan of carrying it, but I don't mind a fairly skinny bottle as long as I have a flip belt or something to keep my key/phone out of my hands.

Off-topic-ish: G2 is my favorite thing to drink after a long run! I can't stomach full flavor Gatorade (all that sugar makes me feel sick) or any kind of sports drink while running, but G2 Glacier Freeze is like the nectar of the Gods when I'm done!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    How long are you running? If its an hour or less your body has plenty of water inside already, even on a really hot day.
    This.
    I generally don't even think about water for a run unless I'm doing more than 8 miles.
    When I'm going longer than 8, I plan the route so that I pass by the library or some other building that I know has a water fountain.
    I'm also not above drinking water from sprinklers. ;)