Anyone else have to struggle like me?

Options
So, I have been overweight since a kid. 164 lbs at age 9 and 218 by age 12. I was born into poverty. 25 years later I fought and escaped. I lost 120 pounds Biggest Loser style (literally, I was a contestant). But have found that 1 hour a day and watching calories simply doesn't cut it for me for losing weight. I put back on 25 lbs and although I am proud to still be down over 90, I just cannot fathom that my life requires 1-1.5 hours a day, plus saying below 1500 cals to MAINTAIN! Losing is a whole different game for me. Is there anyone else out there that just has to workout A LOT, and REALLY hard, and REALLY watch everything and cut out almost everything (grains, alcohol, etc) JUST TO lose weight. I saw a girl on Instagram and she lost 110 pounds in 11 months. I asker her how she did it, she said working out 2-3 hours a day, no alcohol, and low carb. I mean for those who REALLY struggle. Im talking those who have really had to fight for it-not just someone who got lazy and gained weight later in life. I am talking about those who have ALWAYS been overweight. Is this your life now? A daily fight? I am not complaining. I am just really trying to comprehend that it truly requires this much work to get and keep it off. ANYONE else out there relate? And yes I have had thryoid tc checked. If I work out hours a day, cut back cals, and do not drink I lose. If I workout 1 hour a day, watch cals, and even go out to eat 1-2 times a week, I gain or just maintain. CAN ANYONE relate?

Replies

• bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    yeah everyone really struggles ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Guess im one of those lazy people . Good luck though
  • thatguynick
    thatguynick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've always been overweight, even though growing up I rode a bike, hiked, played basketball during PE, etc. I will admit I did spend time in front of the tv and ate for the most part typical southern food, but still I was active because all of my friends were skinny and I had to try to keep up. Much later in life I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, which makes losing weight a lot harder. I'm on medication for it now, which helps.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Guess im one of those lazy people . Good luck though

Me too....
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I have to get an hour or two of exercise every day and eat under 1400 for maintenance. I tend to do an hour of something intense and an hour of something lighter (walking) or fun (dancing). I also have to seriously limit my carbs.

I have five different metabolic diseases. If I want to stay anywhere near a normal weight, this is how hard I have to work. It sucks, but that's just reality.
  • LOVEMYFAMILY_1206
    LOVEMYFAMILY_1206 Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I struggle as well. If I do not carefully watch my calories, and exercise at least 4 times a week, I blow up balloon style! I have always been on the thick side. I have lost 50 pounds 4 times in my life, but since having 2 kids, it is harder then ever. I am 5' 2 and I weighed 189. Since doing my fitness pal and buying a fitbit, I am down to 177. Sooo.. you are not alone :-D
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Another whiney post about how not being able to drink alcohol and eat cheese burgers every day all day is hard....
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS so my weight can easily buffoon if I don't have portion control. I was always at a healthy weight but not fit. Taking that extra 1 to 1.5 hr to workout 4 - 5 times a week is worth it to me ...and it can be a challenge at times but I love that post-workout rush!

I also noticed as I have crossed 32 yrs that it has become so easy to gain weight ..I figure my metabolism isn't what it used to be.

I don't view any of it as a struggle or chore but a lifestyle change.
  • LOVEMYFAMILY_1206
    Options
    Another whiney post about how not being able to drink alcohol and eat cheese burgers every day all day is hard....
    I thought this was a support forum? why say anything if you cannot be nice? maybe give some advice or tips instead of making fun of her post?
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a support forum? why say anything if you cannot be nice? maybe give some advice or tips instead of making fun of her post?
    You're right I should of been nicer. Too many threads like this with the same story and how it mentions not being able to drink alcohol/eat whatever.

Simply put, If you look at weight loss as something temporary and have the old mindset ingrained into your head instead of looking at eating healthier as your lifestyle, it will be a "struggle" as OP put it. There's a difference between want and need...you don't NEED alcohol and cheeseburgers, you want them because they're much more satisfying than eating say, chicken breast. Creativity is how maintaining weight/losing will make you successful in the long run..I find myself getting bored of the same meals so I have to get creative in the kitchen without giving in to the unhealthy alternatives. Don't get me wrong, moderation is key if you do want to go there..

As for working out..do you not have any fitness goals? Set some goals..no matter how big or small, set some and it will have you looking forward to working towards it. 1 hour a day is not going to kill you...

Anyways,

TL;DR- Get creative with your meals, create fitness goals.

• csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Yeah, must be easy for some people to judge because their weight loss journey is so easy. I guess we all wish we were you.
  • bulk_n_cut
    Options

because OP never asked for advice. OP asked for sympathy. No one appreciates someone being a martyr.
    csteuter wrote: »

Yeah, must be easy for some people to judge because their weight loss journey is so easy. I guess we all wish we were you.

this and OP's post is infuriating to those who have accomplished their fitness goals, because it implies their journey was easy. wishing to be like the successful ones isn't helpful to anyone. working as hard as the successful ones, on the other hand...
  • jenncornelsen
    Options

because OP never asked for advice. OP asked for sympathy. No one appreciates someone being a martyr.
    csteuter wrote: »

this and OP's post is infuriating to those who have accomplished their fitness goals, because it implies their journey was easy. wishing to be like the successful ones isn't helpful to anyone. working as hard as the successful ones, on the other hand...

Honestly I found her post demeaning to those of us who gained later on. She did say 'just got lazy' thanks shes a real sweetheart. Saying her struggles matter more than mine doesnt leave me with good vibes. I have worked so hard to get where I am do I really not matter? Ugh end rant just seriously read her words
  • bulk_n_cut
    Options
    Honestly I found her post demeaning to those of us who gained later on. She did say 'just got lazy' thanks shes a real sweetheart. Saying her struggles matter more than mine doesnt leave me with good vibes. I have worked so hard to get where I am do I really not matter? Ugh end rant just seriously read her words

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    oh well whatcanyado
  • jenncornelsen
    Options

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    oh well whatcanyado

Lol suppose ill go eat that amazing cheeseburger
  • NowSteffy50
    NowSteffy50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think everyone feels this in some way " the universe is unfair". I have a diabetic mother-in-law who shouldn't eat sugar, but convinces herself she knows better than her doctor, and will get away with it. Alcoholics convince themselves they can have a 'safe' drink and smokers are convinced that it is everyone else who gets cancer.

It is hard. We all know it. And if you are very successful at putting on large amounts of weight (like me), then its probable that your body's chemistry is tuned to do so, and that tuning will fight against you for every ounce you want to lose or want to keep off.

But if this site tells you anything, is that lots of people do manage to lose the weight and most find their own way to deal with the compromises they need to live with in order to remain at their healthy weight. We will always be FAT people, but hopefully, at the end of our journeys, we will be FAT people who know how to successfully stay at a healthy weight.

• DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Grew up overweight. Sat the dinner table every night hearing my sister being told to eat more and have dessert because she was underweight while I wasn't allowed seconds and dessert. We were equally active and my mom cooked homemade healthy everyday. No one says the universe is fair. Some people have to work harder to have the same thing another person has without hard work. Even if you had an explanation, it won't change your circumstances. Only you can do that by the choices you make. I can't tell you why I eat less and weigh more than my entire family, but that's the way it is and I'm choosing to do something about it.
  • LOVEMYFAMILY_1206
    Options
    You're right I should of been nicer. Too many threads like this with the same story and how it mentions not being able to drink alcohol/eat whatever.

Simply put, If you look at weight loss as something temporary and have the old mindset ingrained into your head instead of looking at eating healthier as your lifestyle, it will be a "struggle" as OP put it. There's a difference between want and need...you don't NEED alcohol and cheeseburgers, you want them because they're much more satisfying than eating say, chicken breast. Creativity is how maintaining weight/losing will make you successful in the long run..I find myself getting bored of the same meals so I have to get creative in the kitchen without giving in to the unhealthy alternatives. Don't get me wrong, moderation is key if you do want to go there..

As for working out..do you not have any fitness goals? Set some goals..no matter how big or small, set some and it will have you looking forward to working towards it. 1 hour a day is not going to kill you...

Anyways,

TL;DR- Get creative with your meals, create fitness goals.

• purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yes! I must work hard for every ounce lost, and I must fight to keep it off.
  • sharebear2012
    sharebear2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Alexandra wrote: »
    So, I have been overweight since a kid. 164 lbs at age 9 and 218 by age 12. I was born into poverty. 25 years later I fought and escaped. I lost 120 pounds Biggest Loser style (literally, I was a contestant). But have found that 1 hour a day and watching calories simply doesn't cut it for me for losing weight. I put back on 25 lbs and although I am proud to still be down over 90, I just cannot fathom that my life requires 1-1.5 hours a day, plus saying below 1500 cals to MAINTAIN! Losing is a whole different game for me. Is there anyone else out there that just has to workout A LOT, and REALLY hard, and REALLY watch everything and cut out almost everything (grains, alcohol, etc) JUST TO lose weight. I saw a girl on Instagram and she lost 110 pounds in 11 months. I asker her how she did it, she said working out 2-3 hours a day, no alcohol, and low carb. I mean for those who REALLY struggle. Im talking those who have really had to fight for it-not just someone who got lazy and gained weight later in life. I am talking about those who have ALWAYS been overweight. Is this your life now? A daily fight? I am not complaining. I am just really trying to comprehend that it truly requires this much work to get and keep it off. ANYONE else out there relate? And yes I have had thryoid tc checked. If I work out hours a day, cut back cals, and do not drink I lose. If I workout 1 hour a day, watch cals, and even go out to eat 1-2 times a week, I gain or just maintain. CAN ANYONE relate?

Yep that what it takes to maintain in my experience. Like you if I eat out too much, drink too much alcohol or miss out on my workouts I start to gain. My maintenance calorie intake before exercise is about 1400 (pretty low). Just the way it is. Good luck maintaining! It is worth it.