I get by with a little help from my friends...

Options
Hey everyone!

So I've become that terribly cliché fat person who has tried to lose weight lots of times, but wasn't determined enough to see it through to the ultimate end. (Last year I actually lost 15 pounds! ... and then gained it all back.)

So yeah, I'm thoroughly disgusted with myself but am looking at this summer as the season of change! I know that if I don't make serious changes this summer, I'm going to be fat forever.

Those of you who are finding success with weight loss -- could you provide me with some advice, tips, strategies, support? I'm looking for all the help I can get. I need a strong arsenal of ideas so I can kick my own fat *kitten* into shape!

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    - Log everything all the time, no matter how much you eat - keeping a food journal in itself is highly correlated with weight loss (even if it's a mediating factor). Keeps you aware of your patterns/portions
    - Don't keep foods that trigger cravings in the house - out of sight, out of mind
    - Eat enough fibre (20-22 grams/day), protein (0.7-1g per pound of body weight) and fats. This will keep you full longer and give your body fuel to build muscle. Setting your dietary goals on MFP as 30:40:30 % (protein:carb:fat) and getting more of your carbs from fruits, veggies, and complex carbs (more fibre there) and more of your protein from lean sources (white vs red meats) will help you hit those goals of maximum satiety for maximum nutritional benefit within minimal calories.
    - Go grocery shopping regularly, so you have enough of the right foods. Prepare these in advance so you're not stuck. Organization and planning is fully half, nay, 80% of the battle
    - Strength train 2-3 x/week and do moderate cardio on other days. Follow an established strength training plan, like the New Rules Of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or one of these: http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/workout_ideas which will help you hit goals faster. Switch up cardio activities to minimize potential for overuse injuries.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale and weigh/measure everything that isn't already in a portion sized package.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    Stay here, with us, on MFP. You can do it. We can help you.

I don't think there are may people who get it right the first time. I didn't.