Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weigh and log your food

All your food - with care

You are eating too much

But I'm eating 1200-1300 but myfitnesspal tells me to eat 1400 cals but I can't increase my carbs and sugar too much because of my blood sugar levels (diabetic fam)

You have still failed to say HOW you determine the amount of food you are consuming. As has been said, you're probably eating more than you think you are.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP do you have any medical issues?

I almost have diabetes because my family have one

I have no idea what this means.

OP: how old are you?
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I'm 20 but my mom saids I have to watch out for my carbs. But it's hard when your a vegetarian.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Were you diagnosed as pre diabetic OP? You are eating more than you think. As others have said, weigh and measure accurately, and pick correct entries when you log. Being a vegan, a high carb vegan, or vegetarian has no bearing on weight loss. You still have to eat less than you burn, and logging is the easiest way to determine that you are doing just that.
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    It sounds like your not logging accurately. I'm a veggie and loose 2lbs a week on 1290 eating pretty much 90% carbs. Also unless you were immobile before long walks will not be beneficial for weight loss. Try switching you exercise to sprints or quick intervals which get into the fat stores. Uphill walks can help but uphill sprints will work more efficiently

Well I'm not a huge runner but can I walk up the hill by walking very fast will that work??

• samiamorisseau
    Options
    Weigh and log your food

You are eating too much

But I'm eating 1200-1300 but myfitnesspal tells me to eat 1400 cals but I can't increase my carbs and sugar too much because of my blood sugar levels (diabetic fam)

If you're a vegetarian, and eat dairy and eggs, it's entirely possible to keep your carbs low if you wish to.

Eat more dairy and eggs, less grains. Tofu is a lower carb source of protein, as is tempeh. Eat lots of non-starchy vegetables. Choose berries instead of bananas.

How cook tempeh??
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    Weigh and log your food

You are eating too much

If you're a vegetarian, and eat dairy and eggs, it's entirely possible to keep your carbs low if you wish to.

Eat more dairy and eggs, less grains. Tofu is a lower carb source of protein, as is tempeh. Eat lots of non-starchy vegetables. Choose berries instead of bananas.

Will veggie patty work? Quorn???
    I'm trying to increase my cals to 1400 but it's so hard. Vegetarian foods are so low in calories
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log your food

You are eating too much

How cook tempeh??

Marinate it, then either bake it or pan fry it in a tiny bit of oil. Some people poach it first then dry it off since it can have a somewhat bitter flavor to some taste buds. After that, prepare as I've said.

Sami, this is your second thread in almost a week.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10122414/can-i-lose-weight-eating-1-115-calories-a-day/p1

You aren't eating enough calories, and you probably aren't getting enough protein or fat.

Can you open your diary?

• samiamorisseau
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Were you diagnosed as pre diabetic OP? You are eating more than you think. As others have said, weigh and measure accurately, and pick correct entries when you log. Being a vegan, a high carb vegan, or vegetarian has no bearing on weight loss. You still have to eat less than you burn, and logging is the easiest way to determine that you are doing just that.

If I'm a vegetarian im supposed to exercise every day??? I'm walking for 30 mins 4-5 a week im not a huge exercise person
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Me too vegan for 25 years and all that matters for my weight is calories in and calories out. If I eat too many calories vegan or not I can weight. If I eat less than I need I drop weight.
    Are you tracking your calories and eating at a deficit?

I am a vegan who eats higher carb (50-60%) and I lose as long as I am at a calorie deficit.

Also, didn't you have a couple threads about chicken recently? I am not sure why you would blame this recent trend on vegetarianism or carbohydrates if you are going back and forth between vegetarianism and omnivorism. Based on another recent thread, you were afraid to eat carbohydrates. Maybe you need to slow down, ensure you are eating at a deficit, and just focus on generally hitting macro goals without blaming macros themselves.

• Vixenmd1
    Options
    That isn't true. Don't fall into a trap of diet veggie food that is super low in calories. Eat real fiod but under your calories for the day.
    Weigh and log your food

You are eating too much

I'm trying to increase my cals to 1400 but it's so hard. Vegetarian foods are so low in calories

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log your food

You are eating too much

Yes, Quorn and veggie patties are fine. They are carbier sources of protein, though.

Please open your diary.

• Vixenmd1
    Options
    Well said[/quote]

[/quote]

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You think you're eating less than you are

You need to weigh everything not use cups

You need to select carefully

Open your diary
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

If I'm a vegetarian im supposed to exercise every day??? I'm walking for 30 mins 4-5 a week im not a huge exercise person

You seem very confused, OP.

Being vegetarian in and of itself does not mean you have to exercise every day. Where did you even get that from, based on that post? You should exercise for your overall well-being - physical, mental, emotional.

And, in reference to another post you made - it is definitely not difficult to fill up 1400 calories with vegetarian food. I'm vegan, and have to plan carefully in order to meet macros and not go over my calories. It's very, very easy to meet your calorie goal eating veg*n.

Log food accurately, keep exercising regularly, and do these things consistently. THEN you can have a legitimate basis from which to figure out changes, if any, you need to make.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

You seem very confused, OP.

Being vegetarian in and of itself does not mean you have to exercise every day. Where did you even get that from, based on that post? You should exercise for your overall well-being - physical, mental, emotional.

And, in reference to another post you made - it is definitely not difficult to fill up 1400 calories with vegetarian food. I'm vegan, and have to plan carefully in order to meet macros and not go over my calories. It's very, very easy to meet your calorie goal eating veg*n.

Log food accurately, keep exercising regularly, and do these things consistently. THEN you can have a legitimate basis from which to figure out changes, if any, you need to make.

Agreed with all of this. I grew up vegetarian and there are plenty of high-calorie foods. I think the issue is likely logging accurately. Since OP mentioned Quorn, also consider weighing prepackaged foods to make sure the weight in grams matches with the serving size so you can get the nutrition information right.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise at all to lose weight, though I would recommend it for health. Weight loss is all about the calories consume/ calories expended.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian foods are so low in calories

As an vegetarian, you can still eat many calorie dense foods. Plant oils, nuts, grains, avocados, potatoes. . . All of these are available to you.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and usually hit around 50% carbs (though I'm probably going to have to up this soon, I have three half marathons in May) and I make sure to get enough protein and fats in my diet.

I get my protein from Quest bars, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, edamame (dried and frozen), and beans. I also get protein from Morningstar burgers when I have them, and tofu. I subbed tofu in a recipe for chicken curry and it worked beautifully. Plenty of protein.

I also get my fats from almonds or brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.

I never went over my calorie goal of 1200 (except on days where I worked out) and lost weight. I lost even more weight when I got a better food scale (that didn't TURN OFF in the middle of weighing things) and tightened up my logging.

And I also cut down on my fruit intake (I, like many others, felt betrayed by apples and bananas) so now I cut off portions and weigh them so they fit.

• samiamorisseau
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and usually hit around 50% carbs (though I'm probably going to have to up this soon, I have three half marathons in May) and I make sure to get enough protein and fats in my diet.

I get my protein from Quest bars, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, edamame (dried and frozen), and beans. I also get protein from Morningstar burgers when I have them, and tofu. I subbed tofu in a recipe for chicken curry and it worked beautifully. Plenty of protein.

I also get my fats from almonds or brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.

I never went over my calorie goal of 1200 (except on days where I worked out) and lost weight. I lost even more weight when I got a better food scale (that didn't TURN OFF in the middle of weighing things) and tightened up my logging.

And I also cut down on my fruit intake (I, like many others, felt betrayed by apples and bananas) so now I cut off portions and weigh them so they fit.

I'm trying to keep my carbs to 50! So all I have to do is cut out all the fruits? And eat cottage cheese and eggs?? Quest bars are really expensive.