Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to Make This Fit my Life

This isn't so hard right? You log what you eat, on a handy dandy app/website that is completely free and recalls your frequent choices. Yet, I get so frustrated and feel as if counting calories is such a burden. I feel like it takes away from the fun and joy of eating. But on the flip side, there is more to life than food. I guess finding that balance is one of the sources of my frustration. I tried pre-logging the night before for a few days which had its pros and cons. I feel like in order to not constantly think about food, I need to not be planning and being meticulous about what I eat. Sort of, take it as it comes; "I'm hungry... guess I'll have lunch now. Let's see what sounds good.... chicken sandwich? For 400 calories? And an apple? Okay sounds good." I think and obsess about food less when I am not constantly planning and calculating. But, I also can be caught off guard by an invitation to eat out with a girlfriend or my fiance. I guess what I am asking for is any advice on how to make the transition from non-calorie-counting self to calorie-counting self. I just want to be "normal" for lack of a better word. I ideally would weigh around 120-125 lbs as a 5'2" female (23 yrs old), but would be perfectly happy at 130-140 (size 10 or 12). How do I incorporate watching my calorie intake into my life without it being a stressor in my life? I know that it takes hard work, but I feel like I am making it harder than it is and am looking for a new perspective and some strategies to make my new eating style stick. Thanks in advance!

HAPPY EASTER!! :)

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    I tend to pre log these days. I usually eat the same things for breakfast & lunch on workdays and I have an idea about dinner time, so that works well. Going out is harder but I just pop the items in.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    This isn't so hard right? You log what you eat, on a handy dandy app/website that is completely free and recalls your frequent choices. Yet, I get so frustrated and feel as if counting calories is such a burden. I feel like it takes away from the fun and joy of eating. But on the flip side, there is more to life than food. I guess finding that balance is one of the sources of my frustration. I tried pre-logging the night before for a few days which had its pros and cons. I feel like in order to not constantly think about food, I need to not be planning and being meticulous about what I eat. Sort of, take it as it comes; "I'm hungry... guess I'll have lunch now. Let's see what sounds good.... chicken sandwich? For 400 calories? And an apple? Okay sounds good." I think and obsess about food less when I am not constantly planning and calculating. But, I also can be caught off guard by an invitation to eat out with a girlfriend or my fiance. I guess what I am asking for is any advice on how to make the transition from non-calorie-counting self to calorie-counting self. I just want to be "normal" for lack of a better word. I ideally would weigh around 120-125 lbs as a 5'2" female (23 yrs old), but would be perfectly happy at 130-140 (size 10 or 12). How do I incorporate watching my calorie intake into my life without it being a stressor in my life? I know that it takes hard work, but I feel like I am making it harder than it is and am looking for a new perspective and some strategies to make my new eating style stick. Thanks in advance!

HAPPY EASTER!! :)

This is a great question and i'd like to know the answer too. I've always been one of those "have discipline" and "do everything right" and "failure is not an option" type of people. For me, that means that i had to pre-log and in a way "obsess" about making sure i'm on track. It was my iron-will that kept me on the path to my goals.

I found it difficult at first until i had general meals that i eat all the time that i can swap things out for. Counting calories now comes second nature and i can look at a meal and say "i think this is around 700 calories" and it is almost exactly correct. Now that i actually know how many calories are in everything i eat it's so much easier to swap things out or eat more/less depending on a substitution that day.

For me though, it still feels less "free" than just eating whatever i want. I am trying to find balance. At times i feel good and less stressed about eating if i log an entire week in advance. I don't have to think about what i'm going to eat because i already have a plan. Other times I am dissapointed that i have a plan i have to stick to, and wish i could be naughty! :)
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    There are a few chain restaurants in my city where I know I can make good choices - if a friend wants to eat out last minute, I know what I can swap around and still meet my calories for the day. It's helpful to have a mental list ready of low calorie dining options - pre-logging is great, but you need some flexibility.

x
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    honestly it will feel that way for awhile. it took me a good couple months to not constantly think about food choices. change isnt easy. its a whole life style change. but your body will thank u and it does get easier and less stressful the longer u stick to it
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    For me, it's just part of life, like brushing my teeth or putting on socks. Just another step in meal preparation. The trade off of having less cushy on my butt, is worth the effort it takes to add the additional step of logging.