Starting a new healthy eating regime, and need help!

Options
rednip3
rednip3 Posts: 11
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, I've been on this website for 4 years now, and managed to go from being 227lbs (UK size 18-20) to 175lbs (making me a UK 12-14) which was all good. Until life kicked in and I gained weight, making me now 203lbs.

I'm planning on eating less carbs and more fibre, and exercising more so I can get back to the 12st 5lbs I was, however I'm a 6ft tall female who has more of a endomorph/mesomorph body type, and I don't know whether to follow the diet plans for a man rather than a woman, seeing as I'm not particularly woman sized (to put it bluntly). I think I'm getting rusty with all this stuff. :neutral:

Should I go for the woman amount of calories or the male amount (but with more of the 'woman friendly' foods, I guess)?

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Why would you plan on eating less carbohydrates? Is it a medical thing or just a 'health kick'? There's really no point to cutting out carbs, unless you're cutting weight for a tournament or something... which isn't likely.

I've never heard of diet plans tailored for men or women. What foods are more friendly for women?

Just stick to a caloric deficit, eat whatever you want, do whatever exercise you want.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why not just use MFP?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    rednip3 wrote:
    ... making me now 203lbs... I'm a 6ft tall female
    This BMI chart shows that at 6' tall, 140 - 180 lb is a healthy weight range. http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    So you're not far off, and losing weight will go slowly.

This calculator will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various foods to eat to maintain that weight.
    If you enter your healthy goal weight, this will help you plan your food intake.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

Start off with whatever it recommends, give it a couple weeks, see what happens.
    If you're not losing weight, drop 100 calories & give it a couple weeks to see what happens.

I'm planning on eating less carbs and more fibre
    First thing you need to do is get a handle on what a carbohydrate is.
    Fiber is a carb. Table sugar is a carb. The sugar in fruit is a carb. Grains are carbs.
    Some are absorbed by the body quickly (table sugar), some slowly (whole grains, generally), some not at all (fiber).

And before you go trying some fad diet that might harm your health,
    here's a table showing healthy ranges for macros, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html
    carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

Yes, eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss. Links to studies in this post.
    In order to stay in the healthy % ranges, try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    BTW, when I saw your headline:
    I thought you were recruiting for minions to help take over the world & abolish fast food.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What in the heck is a woman friendly food?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Also, why would you even consider eating at a males calories? Your body doesn't work the same as a male.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    BTW, when I saw your headline:
    I thought you were recruiting for minions to help take over the world & abolish fast food.
    LOL!!

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    rednip3 wrote: »
    Hi, I've been on this website for 4 years now, and managed to go from being 227lbs (UK size 18-20) to 175lbs (making me a UK 12-14) which was all good. Until life kicked in and I gained weight, making me now 203lbs.

I'm planning on eating less carbs and more fibre, and exercising more so I can get back to the 12st 5lbs I was, however I'm a 6ft tall female who has more of a endomorph/mesomorph body type, and I don't know whether to follow the diet plans for a man rather than a woman, seeing as I'm not particularly woman sized (to put it bluntly). I think I'm getting rusty with all this stuff. :neutral:

Should I go for the woman amount of calories or the male amount (but with more of the 'woman friendly' foods, I guess)?

Thanks! :smile:
    You should go for the YOU amount of calories.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

200.gif
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

200.gif

snort....how blonde of me!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

200.gif

:laugh: brilliant
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    QgJULh.jpg
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You can calculate your calorie needs in your mfp goals, or go to a site like this one http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

• GinGerSnapS713
    GinGerSnapS713 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    And here I was thinking "woman friendly food" was estrogen-laced chocolate.
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    BWAAAAAA-HHHAHAHAHAHAH-HAhahahahahaaaaaaaaa!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Wow! What's up in here? In for sausage.
  • Evasavealot1
    Evasavealot1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Lol.