How do you feel about splenda?

Options

Replies

• SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Everyone is different. I prefer erythritol or stevia, and I think Equal has the worst aftertaste of all of them. Splenda isn't too bad, but I can catch a metallic taste after. I've seen just as many people say they can't stand stevia and that it has that same taste for them.

I wonder if this is like that thing with cilantro.

I've tried so many different types of stevia. I just can't get that aftertaste to go away. I do agree with you about Equal being the worst of the rest.

what thing with cilantro? Because it tastes absolutely freaking horrible.

I like splenda and sweet n' low but i HATE the aftertaste of stevia and equal. yuck :persevere:

I just had to google cilantro. We call it coriander in England. Wasn't aware there was a 'thing' with it!

Can't you just put milk in your coffee, no sweetener at all? I stopped having sugar in coffee years ago, and can't stand it sweet at all. If you have a decent coffee, you just need to add a small bit of milk. I don't like black coffee either.

This. I wanted to stop putting sugar in my coffee (doctor suggested) and I also don't like it black... nor do I like artificial sweeteners. Well, I've discovered that just adding a splash of milk is divine! It makes me appreciated the "coffee" taste more. Plus, the milk does have natural sugars in it, so it kinda sweetens up the coffee a bit on its own.

I pierced a small opening in a can of evaporated milk (I store it in the fridge) and add a bit of that to my coffee. It tastes better than ever :smiley:

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like Splenda in my oatmeal every morning. I eat the kind with added fiber so I get a better dose that way, too. I personally do not like Stevia at all. Eew is MHO. I do like pure unadulterated sugar, honey, brown sugar, real maple syrup, more brown sugar, white sugar...but...it doesn't like me too much. So splenda is a daily dose. Sugar is a treat.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I hate the aftertaste so much, it's intolerable. I don't like sugar in my coffee either, though. I use pink packets.

I like the pink packets too. Much sweeter than Splenda.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    i was just wondering because of all the stuff they're saying about how bad diet drinks and sugar substitutes are. ugh so much info out there by so many different people :/

The science and studies prove otherwise. Of course there are plenty of people who claim all kinds of crazy things. They usually have an agenda.

I know this isn't a responsible comment, but this is one of the reasons I just stick with sugar - butter - regular [whatever] in moderation. I don't have time to weed through research, I like my brain cells (the ones I have left), and I don't eat much ... so, what I eat, I want to love.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use the pink stuff, the yellow stuff, and I also like it black. Sugar in coffee just annoys me anymore. Like it doesn't dissolve fully and I find the results as far as sweetness to be really inconsistent. Whereas I know what two Splenda or one Sweet N' Low would taste like in my coffee. I order with Splenda @ Mickey D's drive through because it's easier for them to understand it over the speaker than Sweet N' Low. I've never noticed an aftertaste, but I should mention I always use some form of cream whenever I sweeten the coffee, else, black it is

All that said, sugar is only four calories per gram or 16 calories per teaspoon, so if you're not using that much of it, your coffee may not necessarily be the prime opportunity for reducing sugar intake that you think it is. Me I don't mind the artificial stuff and cut wherever I can to fit the occasional cheeseburger and Blizzard...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ive done all three and truvia is pobably my fav. do whichever u like best! there is so much conflicting research its impossible to weed out the truth

It is quite possible. A good study is published, peer reviewed, and repeatable. Extra points if it has passed a regulatory process like the FDA. If so, it is safe for consumption.

I have used artificial sweeteners so long I don't notice an aftertaste. I find coffee, though, to be bitter.

I like a little cinnamon in my tea. Maybe try that to mask the aftertaste. Or milk. Or cayenne pepper. Or all three.

http://foodflirt.com/saturday-morning-mexican-coffee-recipe/
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    ive done all three and truvia is pobably my fav. do whichever u like best! there is so much conflicting research its impossible to weed out the truth

It is quite possible. A good study is published, peer reviewed, and repeatable. Extra points if it has passed a regulatory process like the FDA. If so, it is safe for consumption.

I have used artificial sweeteners so long I don't notice an aftertaste. I find coffee, though, to be bitter.

I like a little cinnamon in my tea. Maybe try that to mask the aftertaste. Or milk. Or cayenne pepper. Or all three.

http://foodflirt.com/saturday-morning-mexican-coffee-recipe/

Not intending to be contradictory, but what happens then when the truth is overturned five years down the road? "New" foods and processes don't appeal to me for that reason ... not to say I don't consume them - probably close to impossible given my lifestyle choices, etc. But I don't run out to try the newest sweetener, because what's "safe" now may not be considered safe ten years from now.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    So i need to get my sugar intake down but i LOVE LOVE LOVE my coffee and can't do black coffee, it's just not for me no matter how hard i try. how do you all feel about splenda, the fake stuff, the big yellow packet?

I like Splenda I tried stevia and its gross the taste is awful
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I <3 Splenda. Hard.

In fact, I love it so much that I was VERY angry that I forget to get more, and was forced to drink this morning's coffee with REAL sugar (bleh!). LOL, but seriously, I'm so accustomed to the taste of Splenda, that real sugar in coffee tastes strange to me. Real sugar only belongs in my Coca-Cola, thank you very much.

I had this problem a few weeks ago and it ruined my entire day! When I need sugar for cooking, I use the real stuff. But my coffee HAS to have splenda!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I buy the giant yellow bag, and so far it's lasted me 9+ months. I just use 1-1.5 spoonfuls in my morning coffee, and that's usually the only cup of coffee I drink. I also put in powder creamer and liquid creamer (hey, I like my coffee decadent, ok?). I figure I can splurge on a 60 cal cup of coffee if it's only once a day. I mostly use splenda because I love the sound it makes when it gets poured into the coffee, and because that's what my mom uses and I'm copying her coffee "recipe." ;)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It tastes horrible ... but it's better than black and a sacrifice I make in my coffee so I get to eat more actual, y'know, food.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    splenda and other sugar replacements taste awful imo. only diet pop i drink is coke zero. other than that i like water (tap or mineral)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I have used Splenda on occasion in the past...usually when that was the only alternative. It's okay, but tastes very artificial to me.

I like stevia a lot...I buy the pure stevia, not the stuff mixed with fillers to bulk it up.

I recently bought xylitol to use for certain purposes where stevia isn't ideal. I quite literally cannot tell the difference between xylitol and sugar. In a blind taste test, I wouldn't know the difference. Xylitol is that good. However, xylitol does have some calories. It has less than sugar, and doesn't cause the same blood sugar/insulin spikes, but it is not calorie free.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Not intending to be contradictory, but what happens then when the truth is overturned five years down the road? "New" foods and processes don't appeal to me for that reason ... not to say I don't consume them - probably close to impossible given my lifestyle choices, etc. But I don't run out to try the newest sweetener, because what's "safe" now may not be considered safe ten years from now.
    Agreed, older tested is more reliable than the latest trend. By that measure Aspartame is safer than Stevia. Safety is relative and we all take calculated risks daily. Crossing the street is high up there on the risk scale, yet we manage to navigate with fair confidence.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I use splenda in coffee, tea and sometimes to sweeten fruit when it's not as sweet as usual. I like the taste, but I do add the calories in my logging.
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ugh I tried splenda. i REALLY tried to like it. i did. but i just can't. looks like i'm going to have to chuck the coffee except for special days or maybe just weekends. i need my sugar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Personally I avoid artificial foods and splenda freaks me right out! I switched from honey to NOW Better Stevia (not the same as Truvia, NOW brands first of two ingredients in the original flavor is stevia leaf extract) to save calories for other honey infused goodies, and it's doing the trick. You can get it at natural food stores, I'm not sure if it's at regular grocers, and it comes in flavors (I'm using vanilla). You add it by the drop so you can adjust the sweetness. It does have a strange taste if you use to much, but I've become accustomed to like things less sweet so it works for me. I don't know how the price matches up because I get it for free. . . but the bottle lasts ages so I'm sure its comparable.
    It's so ironic when people say they avoid "artificial" foodstuffs, yet buy their stuff at a "Natural" food store. Just a quick note: if it came in a box, it's not that "natural".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I like pink the best, with Splenda a close second. I find equal to be much less sweet so I end up using more of it and then it tastes too fake. I've tried stevia a couple of times and I think it's got a horrible aftertaste.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    i was just wondering because of all the stuff they're saying about how bad diet drinks and sugar substitutes are. ugh so much info out there by so many different people :/

The science and studies prove otherwise. Of course there are plenty of people who claim all kinds of crazy things. They usually have an agenda.

I know this isn't a responsible comment, but this is one of the reasons I just stick with sugar - butter - regular [whatever] in moderation. I don't have time to weed through research, I like my brain cells (the ones I have left), and I don't eat much ... so, what I eat, I want to love.

Thank you! I'm restricting calories and that makes them too precious to compromise on taste. Fat free dairy...revolting. Fat free salad dressing...awful. Artificial sweeteners (especially stevia)...vile. And anyway, a packet of real sugar is only about 15 calories. I'll eat a couple of grams less of something else and still have sugar in my tea.

• JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda in my coffee every day. I've tried Stevia, but it has a strong aftertaste that I really don't like.