How often do you work out?

Options
My husband and I technically started this new weight loss journey back in November and did fantastic for a couple of months. Then we took more than two days off in a row and that was it--bam, we were back to where we were. With that being said, this time around we try to go to the gym every, single day to do SOMETHING. We are just those people who can't take days off otherwise our motivation falls flat. (I know, I know, it's healthy to take a break....but it's also healthy to actually stick with it vs. quit because we became unmotivated.)

What about everyone else? How many days a week, and for how long? :)

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Every day for the last month, but I vary my workouts a lot. If I'm tired or run down I do a really low key yoga workout that's mostly restorative, but every day I do something. I do that at least once a week.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I take 2 rest days per month, but like the previous poster, I also plan one "easy" day per week. I aim for about 45-60 minutes of activity per day.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    With few exceptions, 6 days a week. If I break it's because I'm sick. Working out (even light cardio) is my release, my therapy, my one constant.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I train 4 days per week. Two of my sessions take about 3 hours, and two of them take about 2 hours.

That being said, it is absolutely NOT 3 hours of consecutive training. I take very long rest periods, I take at least 30 minutes to warm up (mobility + warm ups + ramping up to working weight) for squats, and on the 3 hour sessions my daughter is in the daycare at the gym and I take 1 break to change her diaper.

Just clarifying so it didn't look insane =)

• chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I exercise 6 days a week with 1 rest day. Usually it's 1 hr each day (30 mins routine and 30-40 mins walking my dog). He knows that after I exercise he gets to go walking. Lol
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Six days a week - five of which are running and stretching only and two of which incorporate strength training. It's the best part of every day - no exaggeration. I am so grateful to be healthy enough to move my body, and I hate rest days. I think that's the key. Crave your workout. This is part of living - like eating and working.

Besides, if you're on a deficit, you can eat more when you work out. :smile: )
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    4-5 days a week
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    about 4 days a week - 45 minutes to an hour each time!
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Heavy workouts every other day, light workouts on the off days, with 1 rest day.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I workout every day doing HIIT, and weightlifting twice a week. On day 7 like today for instance I do a light workout such as a 5 mile walk. I really should go back to taking one full day off to rest and recover, though.
  • Rockmaker
    Rockmaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    7 days a week, 1 hour a day. That is the engine that drives my weight loss.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    5 days. But one of those is usually just an in and out cardio fluff. 4 days of heavy lifting.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    5-6 days. 3 days Strength and 2-3 days cardio.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I started giving myself Sunday as my rest day, then go at it rest of week every day! Earlier I go more energy I have. I also try and mix it up and challenge myself
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Every day, for the same reason as you... if I take a break, I lose momentum and things start to slide.

That being said, I work out first thing in the AM, so if I accidentally sleep in (once every few months) I do skip working out.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    5-6x per week... 4 days lifting, 1-2 days cardio, yoga. About 30-45min each workout
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You should have 1 rest day a week. Am ashamed to say ive been going twice a day this week as I find it easier to split my routine.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5 days of working out. 2 cardio days and 3 lift days. 2 rest days but I'm probably going to change that to 1 rest day..I've felt like a lazy *kitten* this weekend...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My schedule varies, but every day in one way or another. I have a regular schedule of classes that are a combination of strength training and cardio and I teach a regular fitness class on Mondays. Additionally I spend energy in the time I commit to training others.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I train 6 days a week, for up to a total of ten hours. Sounds like a lot, but like sidesteel, I spend a lot of time resting or doing something other then actively lifting. Ten minute rests for twenty seconds of activity is pretty common when I reach my work sets.