Best by Date

Options
iclaudia_g
iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
So I used to not really worry about the best by date on a lot of stuff but I see some people I know frantically clean out the fridge of anything that is past the best by date.

Should eggs be discarded by the best by date and if not how long after do you keep yours? I tend to not eat them fast enough before the best by date passes. I guess I could buy less if they sold them individually. I usually by the 6 count carton.

Replies

• siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on what it is. With eggs I would allow a couple of days past the BBE and judge it on what the egg is like when cracked open. Older eggs tend to lose the firmness of the white and I like the white to be quite firm so thats the biggest factor for me.

I tend to go by look and smell rather than dates.
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    Thanks! I have also bought egg whites to make this less of a challenge but I know the yolk has a lot of good nutrients so I still eat them.
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    There is actually a test you can do to determine if eggs are still good. Fill up a bowl of water. If the egg sinks then it's still good. If the egg sinks to the bottom but stand up on the point it's good but needs to be consumed soon. If the egg floats it needs to be thrown away.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine unless cracked or smell bad.

With older eggs I tend to break them into a small bowl first before using, just in case.
  • iclaudia_g
    Options
    There is actually a test you can do to determine if eggs are still good. Fill up a bowl of water. If the egg sinks then it's still good. If the egg sinks to the bottom but stand up on the point it's good but needs to be consumed soon. If the egg floats it needs to be thrown away.

Very cool. I had no idea you could do this. :happy:
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I had this issue with salad dressing the other day. I only use a tablespoon here and there, so its hard to use it fast enough! I smelled it and tasted it. Seemed fine.. so i ate it. Heres hoping I survive! LOL