Protein shake before or after workout?

Options
Hey there. I very very recently began weight training. I'm going to go get some protein powder tomorrow or Tuesday but I need to know if its better to have the protein shake before or after a workout?

Replies

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have one before and one after
  • ceruleanmuse
    ceruleanmuse Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    One before and one after is ideal.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Timing of protein intake does not matter. You really don't even need a protein shake unless you find it hard to meet a good protein goal (1g per lb of Lean Body Mass) without powder.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I drink them because they get into my body quickly. I don't want to eat too much before a workout and after a workout I need something quick that will get in my blood stream quickly. I usually exercise to failure so I'm dragging my *kitten* out of the gym. A banana works too but I love my shakes.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to personal preference. While there are some studies that show an advantage by taking in some carbs and protein within 45 minutes of a training session, that likely only matters if you're an elite athlete looking for any small advantage. Muscle building occurs for up to 72 hours after lifting, so having an adequate amount of protein in your diet and eating regularly is probably all you need.

Protein powders are a supplement and shouldn't be a substitute for real food. I'd go for some fish, egg or milk (if you can tolerate it). Plus, protein powders often have things in it that you don't want (sugar, chemicals, fillers, etc.).
  • TodoPoder
    TodoPoder Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Get it after you done your workout and before your cardio.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    TodoPoder wrote: »
    Get it after you done your workout and before your cardio.

Why?
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't think its important to take protein shake before or after exercise. It depends on your own preference. In my opinion doing exercise after taking a glass of luke warm water with lemon is more beneficial.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Timing of protein intake does not matter. You really don't even need a protein shake unless you find it hard to meet a good protein goal (1g per lb of Lean Body Mass) without powder.
    THIS. The whole pre/post protein shake is mostly broscience and real science doesn't support the exaggerated claims made by those saying it's necessary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    I drink them because they get into my body quickly. I don't want to eat too much before a workout and after a workout I need something quick that will get in my blood stream quickly. I usually exercise to failure so I'm dragging my *kitten* out of the gym. A banana works too but I love my shakes.
    It still has to get broken down by the stomach into amino acids to be absorbed into the blood stream and that doesn't happen very quickly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to personal preference. While there are some studies that show an advantage by taking in some carbs and protein within 45 minutes of a training session, that likely only matters if you're an elite athlete looking for any small advantage. Muscle building occurs for up to 72 hours after lifting, so having an adequate amount of protein in your diet and eating regularly is probably all you need.

Protein powders are a supplement and shouldn't be a substitute for real food. I'd go for some fish, egg or milk (if you can tolerate it). Plus, protein powders often have things in it that you don't want (sugar, chemicals, fillers, etc.).

I should use only regular food instead of protein shakes? That sounds like a lot of food. I can only eat so much. I wouldn't mind using both [which was my original plan] but I don't know how I would get so much protein per day out of food without overeating.
  • GlassRocks
    GlassRocks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Recognize there is no one size fits all methodology as everyone is different and depending on your type of fitness activity, level of intensity and other factors, different pre and post nutrition can be incredibly important or possibily not at all. Consider pro athletes include nutrition and supplements as part of their training regimen and for example how crucial pre/post nutrition is to athletes like marathon runners.

So in regard to the actual question: “Protein shake before or after workout?” well, it depends.

#1 - It’s been suggested by numerous resources and articles that pre-workout protein, specifically the branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), will help fuel your muscles during training. That sounds advantageous especially when planning intense workouts just like endurance athletes plan for the level and intensity of their activities.

#2 - It has also been proposed there is an advantage of consuming protein shakes after intense exercise routines because “they can be absorbed quickly into the body” which I don’t necessarily believe. I do believe that the boost of nutrients specifically protein will help aid in the repair and recovery of your muscles though. Can you simply have a healthy balanced protein rich meal then? Yes, why not, but is making a healthy meal convenient when you just spent your lunch hour at the gym and literally have 2 minutes left to eat, not really. Sure you could pre-pack your lunch as well, but absolutely do not get fast-food.

Let’s remember that Protein shakes like anything are just a tool in your arsenal and there is a lot of hearsay on what works and doesn’t. Don’t forget that anything you eat takes time to digest so pre/post anything nutritional should be done approximately 30-60 minute before/after your workout. Also according to a lot of resources the actual timing of your nutrient intake may not make or break your athletic goals unless you’re a pro or endurance athlete and possibly in moderate exercise sessions may not be needed for recovery at all.

My opinion is that the overall crucial aspect is to follow a healthy diet.

I do include Protein Shakes as part of my workout regimen, changing when I use them (either pre/post) based on my workouts type I have planned and adapt my intake to optimize for intensity, muscle recovery and growth. By fluctuating I feel I can somewhat affect muscle damage and increasing recovery times when working out intensely. For example on Cardio heavy days I tend to do protein shakes pre workout, versus weight training days where I tend to do them post workout. I also use them for supplementing meals (non-workout days appropriately) but moderate my intake to no more than one Protein shake per day regardless of activity, as they often have excessive sodium, cholesterol and other disadvantageous content themselves. The accumulative effect of multiple shakes could easily nullify any benefits they have, rendering them as deficient as eating fast food, just under the guise of "I'm eating healthy".

Best of luck,

Sir GR
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I just can't do it. They add so much crap I don't want in my body, I go for eggs, meats, dairy or nuts instead.
  • KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    I just can't do it. They add so much crap I don't want in my body, I go for eggs, meats, dairy or nuts instead.

How do you get enough protein from that without overeating? If I go by 1 gram per pound per body weight then I need 127 grams of protein a day. That's a lot of eggs/meat/dairy/nuts. Well...for me. Even 90 grams would be a lot for me to take in without getting stuffed.

• sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »

How do you get enough protein from that without overeating? If I go by 1 gram per pound per body weight then I need 127 grams of protein a day. That's a lot of eggs/meat/dairy/nuts. Well...for me. Even 90 grams would be a lot for me to take in without getting stuffed.

Today I am getting about 80 grams. I only workout 45 min to an hour a day, so it seems like enough for me for now as I'm not a body builder or lifter. I do mostly cardio, p90x, yoga. Here is what I ate and plan to eat later for today. I could add some nuts in later for snack if I'm hungry:

B - 2 eggs whites, 1 whole egg, coffee with milk, prunes

L - salad (lettuce, cuc, tom) with can white tuna in water, olive oil and lemon

D - 5oz cod, roasted broccoli and taters

S - String cheese, fruit

I am **hungry** on my longer runs, so I may add in glasses of milk, but would welcome any more natural suggestions from any other experts that are online, because I am far from one. I just know a lot of additives don't make me feel good.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Do whatever feels right. I like one right after my workout. I just feel better with an immediate recovery drink. I can't handle it before...I feel it coming back up lol. I prefer some kind of snack before hand.