Exercise Sabatoging Weight Loss?

Options
I am 5'6" and 165. My goal weight is 135 with a body fat percentage in the low 20s. I am pear shaped and have a super high fat percentage (39%) because of severly restricting calories in the past to lose weight. I have been exercising hard 6 days a week alternating strength and cardio days. I have been eating at 1350 calories and eating back some to all of my exercise calories. I started at 170 (2.5 months ago) with a 42% body fat. My gym has a machine that breaks down body composition and I have put on a pound of muscle, lost 7 pounds of fat, and gained a pound of water on the last weigh in compared to original stats.

Obviously I'm doing something right in terms of exercise, but right now my goal is to lose this fat and then I can bulk up. I am thinking I need to cut calories more to step up the fat loss, but I'm freaking hungry. I use a HRM and burn roughly 300-500 calories per workout.

Bottom line, I want to lose more fat and I don't think I can keep up with working out 6 days a week for an hour plus stretching with life. Do you think cutting my exercise down to 4 days a week and cutting calories to 1200+exercise is a good choice? I feel like exercise is sabatoging my weight loss.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Fat loss will come from the caloric deficit. Four days sounds reasonable, but why cut your calories if you're losing?
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Fat loss will come from the caloric deficit. Four days sounds reasonable, but why cut your calories if you're losing?

I should have been a little more detailed. I haven't lost any fat for a month. My water weight has fluctuated and I've been very slowly but steadily adding muscle (which is great), but the fat loss has stalled. Admittedly it's because I've gone over my goal, but still under maintenance for the most part on many days. I am having a heck of a time staying under because exercise makes me extra hungry.
  • itschanelle
    Options
    Also, yes I weight my food and log everything.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and 165. My goal weight is 135 with a body fat percentage in the low 20s. I am pear shaped and have a super high fat percentage (39%) because of severly restricting calories in the past to lose weight. I have been exercising hard 6 days a week alternating strength and cardio days. I have been eating at 1350 calories and eating back some to all of my exercise calories. I started at 170 (2.5 months ago) with a 42% body fat. My gym has a machine that breaks down body composition and I have put on a pound of muscle, lost 7 pounds of fat, and gained a pound of water on the last weigh in compared to original stats.

Obviously I'm doing something right in terms of exercise, but right now my goal is to lose this fat and then I can bulk up. I am thinking I need to cut calories more to step up the fat loss, but I'm freaking hungry. I use a HRM and burn roughly 300-500 calories per workout.

Bottom line, I want to lose more fat and I don't think I can keep up with working out 6 days a week for an hour plus stretching with life. Do you think cutting my exercise down to 4 days a week and cutting calories to 1200+exercise is a good choice? I feel like exercise is sabatoging my weight loss.

I think maybe you should focus less on what the scale says and more on measurements.
    Would it really be a bad thing if you weighed in the 140's, but your BF% was were you wanted it to be?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

I should have been a little more detailed. I haven't lost any fat for a month. My water weight has fluctuated and I've been very slowly but steadily adding muscle (which is great), but the fat loss has stalled. Admittedly it's because I've gone over my goal, but still under maintenance for the most part on many days. I am having a heck of a time staying under because exercise makes me extra hungry.

Oh, okay this makes sense! You're not losing because you are eating at a caloric surplus! Just change your settings to losing 1lb/week instead of gaining.

:/
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think you should take a couple steps back. First of all, those body composition machines are not accurate. Take a look at the body fat percentages here and let me know if you still think you are 42% body fat.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Secondly, even at close to maintenance, you're not going to be putting on much muscle. So you should expect to see the scale move down.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I would also not recommend cutting any more calories. If u have done a severly restricted diet before do u really want to go that low?
  • itschanelle
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Oh, okay this makes sense! You're not losing because you are eating at a caloric surplus! Just change your settings to losing 1lb/week instead of gaining.

:/

If that's the case then my metabolism is shot. MFP says maintenance is 1850 which is right in line with my tdee using my bf %. My worst days food wise have me netting 1500-1600 calories. I've also had an active metabolic test done and my hrm is programmed with the results so I know my calorie burn for my workouts is accurate. If I'm eating at a surplus then I am totally screwed.

• itschanelle
    Options

I think maybe you should focus less on what the scale says and more on measurements.
    Would it really be a bad thing if you weighed in the 140's, but your BF% was were you wanted it to be?

No, not at all. Id be fine with that. But to get to the 140s Id have to lose 25 pounds of fat and right now that's not happening. The goal is to be at a healthy weight and a healthy body fat percentage.
  • itschanelle
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I think you should take a couple steps back. First of all, those body composition machines are not accurate. Take a look at the body fat percentages here and let me know if you still think you are 42% body fat.

Secondly, even at close to maintenance, you're not going to be putting on much muscle. So you should expect to see the scale move down.

Based on the photos I would say I'm at 30-35% body fat. I am pear shaped and it's literally all in my hips and thighs. I've done online calculators where you put in your measurements and they say low 30s too. Still, too high.

I have seen a big increase in my muscle tone and strength (arms and stomach, still too much fat on my legs).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP are you sure of your % of body fat? Looking at your pic, it doesn't look to be that high
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ posted at the same time^^^^ Your face just looks very slim.
  • itschanelle
    Options
    OP are you sure of your % of body fat? Looking at your pic, it doesn't look to be that high

I was probably 140 in that pic! It's older. But yes, it's high. Abnormally so.
  • arditarose
    Options

Based on the photos I would say I'm at 30-35% body fat. I am pear shaped and it's literally all in my hips and thighs. I've done online calculators where you put in your measurements and they say low 30s too. Still, too high.

I have seen a big increase in my muscle tone and strength (arms and stomach, still too much fat on my legs).

Well, I don't think you should cut your calories. Your post is a little all over the place for me, especially since I had a couple whiskeys tonight. If you want to lose, and you're not-you're eating too much either because you are not logging properly, not weighing all your food, or over estimating your calorie burn. If losing the fat is your goal-work on that, lift to maintain your muscle mass, but don't expect to be building muscle in your deficit, or at least building the amount that would cause any real stalls on the scale moving downward.
  • itschanelle
    Options

Well, I don't think you should cut your calories. Your post is a little all over the place for me, especially since I had a couple whiskeys tonight. If you want to lose, and you're not-you're eating too much either because you are not logging properly, not weighing all your food, or over estimating your calorie burn. If losing the fat is your goal-work on that, lift to maintain your muscle mass, but don't expect to be building muscle in your deficit, or at least building the amount that would cause any real stalls on the scale moving downward.

Ha! I think it's the whiskeys. Or my rambling. I am not losing because I am eating too many calories but I am obviously eating too many calories. I think it's because I am working out 6 days a week and am really hungry. I want to cut back on working out so I won't be so hungry but I also don't want to lose gains or endurance that's I've worked for. Just wanted advice on that.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Those machines are wildly inaccurate and it seems that your investing too much thought into the readings . eat at a deficit, lift weights and you'll lose weight . take measurements and don't believe that those readings are exact .
  • arditarose
    Options

Ha! I think it's the whiskeys. Or my rambling. I am not losing because I am eating too many calories but I am obviously eating too many calories. I think it's because I am working out 6 days a week and am really hungry. I want to cut back on working out so I won't be so hungry but I also don't want to lose gains or endurance that's I've worked for. Just wanted advice on that.

Okay. Right. So cut back on exercise? I can tell you from my experience, I started around your weight but am a couple inches shorter than you. I stopped doing as much cardio and focused on weight lifting, dropped 30 pounds and I believe my body fat % is down to about 20 lbs now. In that case you can probably raise your daily calories, do cardio a couple times a week to give you some wiggle room.
  • arditarose
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Those machines are wildly inaccurate and it seems that your investing too much thought into the readings . eat at a deficit, lift weights and you'll lose weight . take measurements and don't believe that those readings are exact .

This is basically what I'm trying to say as well.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

No, not at all. Id be fine with that. But to get to the 140s Id have to lose 25 pounds of fat and right now that's not happening. The goal is to be at a healthy weight and a healthy body fat percentage.

That's a great goal. But you need to keep in mind that those scales aren't all that accurate. From what I've read, they can be off by 8-9%.
  • itschanelle
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

This is basically what I'm trying to say as well.

Yeah, I am super motivated by signs of progress which is why I put so much into the readings. I suck at measuring myself and can never do the same two measurements even back to back. I did take before pictures and should probably take a progress photo. I definitely notice a difference in my arms and stomach and a little in my butt. My legs are still squishy as ever.

Right now I have a personal trainer once a week and do whatever workout (strength) that she gives me 3 times a week. They take about an hour including my warm up (12 mins) from my active metabolic test and a cool down stretch. The other 3 days I do cardio (run, hike, stairs) for 45 minutes plus my 12 min warm up. So you all are saying cut down on the cardio days?