need a basic workout plan at the gym

Hello.. I really need a basic workout plan while at the gym. I am 319 pounds so I really need to start light

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Don't they have trainers at the gym?
  • TammyEvans2
    TammyEvans2 Posts: 3 Member
    Yes..but I don't have that kind of money to spend on a trainer.
  • msflynnbly
    msflynnbly Posts: 46 Member
    I'd check, as a programme is generally thrown in when you join. Xx
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    If you haven't really got specific goals other than losing weight, just use the gym to supplement your dieting. Have a small deficit set on MFP, and use light cardio (using whatever you feel comfortable doing) to keep you under the limit. You don't have to start running miles and sweating til you pass out, just hop on a treadmill/elliptical/rower/etc/etc and start slow to get yourself going. Set yourself a goal each time - so, say on your first go, you burn 100kcal, make it your job next time to do 110 - or, if you make it 1km, make the goal 1.1km, etc.

As your body gets used to it, up the duration/intensity, and see where it takes you. Once you start getting more confident, you can start looking at more specific plans. :)

One thing I'll say is (from my experience, anyway) that your fitness (in terms of endurance, speed etc) will probably go up before you start seeing massive results in weight, so take that as a positive, rather than focussing on the scales if they aren't moving as much as you'd like.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    ajnb88 had some great advice.

For programs, check out Stronglifts (http://stronglifts.com/5x5/). It's free and there is also an app. Also, look into bodybuilding.com. There are several free programs based on your goals (to build muscle, lose fat, have a total transformation, etc.) and there is an app for you to track your workouts as well as videos on the website on how to do each of the exercises.

My biggest piece of advice is to have a plan when you go to the gym so that you're not just walking around aimlessly. IMO, it's counterproductive and you should want to get the most out of the time you're putting in there. Also, most gyms have at least 1 free training session with a trainer. A lot of this is typically a fitness assessment, a workout and the trainer trying to get you to buy whatever it is that they're selling, but to me...it's also been a free workout with a trainer.

And if you're confused on how to use some of the machines or if you have questions on how to perform certain movements (especially when it comes to squatting or lifting - proper form is essential to maximize your workout and avoid injury), feel free to ask.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things...so sorry. And good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    The first thing I would say is to try the different cardio machines and see how you like them. All will be challenging at first so don't worry about that, it's more about seeing how each fits your personality and your body. ie I cannot do stationary bike, I have a flat butt and a wounded lower back and it hurts both. And also having a bad knee, I thought the stair climber would be awful, but it's less painful than the treadmill. I would never know if I hadn't tried it out.

So maybe start with, 1 day of 15 minutes on two different machines, then next time do two different machines, then repeat that a couple of times until you have a feel for which you're liking the most (or disliking the least lol). Then you can Google up like "beginniners training program for elliptical" and I bet you'll find some good plans out there.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Like others have suggested try the different cardio machines and see what ones you like. Start off slow and do just a small amount of time on them. I had never done an elliptical machine at first and could only do 10 minutes of it and then my hips were killing me the next day or two. Build up your time and move up the resistance on the machines as you go along. Try low impact stuff too. If your gym has a pool try walking or running in the pool or water jogging. If they have water cardio classes try those as it low impact in the water. Just starting out walking will help.
    Good luck!

We were all beginners at one time!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    at the moment, just moving will be beneficial. start on the treadmill. go for a walk on an incline.

try reading these as well:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Do a little cardio to warm up even if its just walking around the gym a few times, then do strength training such as StrongLifts 5x5, and then do more cardio such as riding a stationary bike, etc. When you feel strong enough, try taking spin class if it's offered or do some running or ride a bike outside.