Only lost 1lb

Options
hey

I've been doing ketosis for the last 2 weeks and eating really well, usually having 1000 calories ( just because I'm full). Last week I lost 6lb and this week 1 ! I'm so disappointed does anyone know why this could be ? Thanks

Replies

• waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The 6 pounds lost in one week indicates that most if not all of the weight lost was just water weight.
  • alicer461
    alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    But I should be losing more than 1lb a week I have about 40lb to lose and it's really disheartening :/
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As Waldo said, the 6lbs likely included water weight. Don't be disappointed by 1lb this last week, weight loss is seldom linear, just look for an overall downward trend. Think about it this way, you've lost an average of 3.5lbs per week :smile:

With regards to the 1,000 calories per day, try to eat to what MFP has given you. It is generally recommended that women should not eat under 1,200 in order to get all the essential nutrients etc.

I've got over 150lbs to lose, and there have been some weeks where I have only lost <1lb, but then others come in much higher.

Good luck!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think you need some perspective. 7 pound in two weeks is a lot of weight. If you can average 1 pound a week that is a good amount. You did not put 40 pound on over night. Also you need to eat more hitting 1000 calories a day is not sustainable and not good for you. You can eat more than that because otherwise you would not be 40 pounds over weight. Aim to eat more calorie dense foods.

Have a look at this thread it will help you set reasonable and sustainable goals

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest
  • waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    alicer461 wrote: »
    But I should be losing more than 1lb a week I have about 40lb to lose and it's really disheartening :/

No need to worry. That usually happens to most people. I have always heard it is best to aim for losing 1 to 2 pounds per week, so you're on track! If you lose weight too fast, you might be more likely to gain it back quickly when you finish dieting, or so I have heard. But, if you want to lose closer to 2 pounds per week, try being a little more active throughout the week. 1,000 calories is already low, so I wouldn't recommend eating less. Good luck!
  • alicer461
    Options
    Thanks guys you've given me my motivation back :D I'll get back on it and do abit more exercise x
  • cioube
    cioube Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say : Focus on the journey not the destination.
    And it's honestly the best advice out there.
    You want your weight loss to last, you want your general health to improve, and that's what happening thanks to the changes you're making. Just focus on that.
    The weight will fall off, or not. Take pictures regularly and measurements.
    I haven't lost a kg in 4 weeks but inches have fallen off.

Enjoy !
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys you've given me my motivation back :D I'll get back on it and do abit more exercise x

Please eat more if you're going to increase your exercise :( There's a real risk that you'll end up on like 7-800/day once you factor in calories burned, and I know it's all to easy to think that's a good thing, but it's really not.

Something someone said a while back, and I have no idea if it's true or not, but the whole 'changes you make now will show in a month' mantra is something that I focus on when I'm not seeing the changes I want. It takes your body time to adapt, and as long as you maintain your focus, you'll see the results you want... Just not overnight.
  • alicer461
    Options
    That's very true :) I think my expectations are too high but I have been feeling much healthier and happier so there's a bonus ! I think I just need to increase what I've been eating because some days I've been eating a lot less than 1000 calories which from what I've read is a very bad thing to do :/

Thanks guys x
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you sticking to LCHF for life then?
  • alicer461
    Options
    I think so or at least until I'm at my goal weight and then slightly increase my carbs and lower my fats
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Are you sticking to LCHF for life then?

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    It took me a very long time to accept that weight loss is not an instant, '2 week' fix. And yep, it is disheartening!

I've learnt to celebrate the small victories; not just the number on the scale, but every time you crave chocolate but eat a piece of fruit instead, every time you think about getting the bus but then decide you want to walk to burn the extra calories.

Find yourself a 'weight loss buddy'; i have a girl who i met on here, and we message each other pretty much every day. She is the same height as me, has the same goals as me, weighs about the same and also has the same struggles as i do when it comes to losing weight (we are both bingers, both struggle if we don't have a routine to follow and so on). It really helps keep it in perspective (and is motivational too) to see someone who is similar to you going through the same thing, the slow losses, the occasional bad days and things.

Remember-lifestyle change! As rabbitjb has already alluded to, if you eat 1000 calories a day until you lose the weight, then jump straight back up to, say, 1,500, you WILL gain it back, and it will be even more disheartening. Try to find a calorie amount and a 'lifestyle' choice you know you can follow for the rest of your life, even if it is, say, 1000 calories for one week, 1300 for the next week, and rotate (i'm not suggesting that is a good idea, just an example!).

Good luck and stay strong! I like to think of it this way, even if i only lose half a pound a week, that is still about 26lbs in a year! And you're only going to get to that point if you don't give up :)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If you lose one pound per week you will lose your target of 40 pounds in 40 weeks.

How many weeks of overeating did it take you to put on those 40 extra pounds?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Sevens pounds in 2 weeks on a 100 calorie diet. Interesting. Weight loss is not linear.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned about why I'm only eating 1000 calories, than why I lost only a pound. Incidentally, a pound a week is awesome.
  • alicer461
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I've only been eating 1000 because I'm doing a low carb diet and have found it hard to find foods I can actually eat :/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I've only been eating 1000 because I'm doing a low carb diet and have found it hard to find foods I can actually eat :/

Low carb high fat and you are having a hard time?

bacon, avocadoes, olive oil, eggs, did I mention bacon, steak, pork, hb with cheese and bacon and avocadoes

list is endless.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

On that note I don't do low carb just not the biggest fan but still eat them.

Feel free to check my diary. For example this week I am making chicken, cheese and avocado burritos which are nom nom just leave out the tortilla, or the roasted red pepper with basic chicken breast cooked with olive oil smothered in cheese.......easy 597 calories I think and that is one meal.

Try Turkey taco salad. Romain with salad fixin's add in ground turkey with salsa, cheese, sour cream, guac etc easily 700 calories.

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Butter, mayo, oil, cream, sour cream, and full fat dressings. One or more of those can be added to anything you're eating on a LCHF diet to increase calories without adding volume to what you're eating.

Also, just wanted to add that losing 6 pounds in the first week is very common with eating LCHF. It's water weight. Don't be discouraged with only losing 1 pound this week, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. There may be some weeks that you don't lose anything or even gain. Like many others said, as long as it continues over time downward, you're doing good.

• jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It took you more than two weeks to gain the 40lbs, it will take you a while to loose it too. Some weeks are smaller losses than others. Last week during the week i didnt lose anything (going to the gym regularly and eating carefully) , then this weekend i lost over 2lbs when i didn't even try. Just happens sometimes.