Gallbladder removal problems, anyone experienced something like this or similar?

Options
2»

Replies

• kdt000
    kdt000 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues for about a year after mine was taken out. I went to a GI doc, he put me on a cholesterol medicine to help bind the excess bile and it's solved the problem for the most part. He said it's a common issue.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    I had my gallbladder out last year. I've had diarrhea since. Heck, I had it before too. BUT, surprisingly I figured out that gluten was a big trigger for me. I'm not gluten free by any means, but since I cut bread and pasta out of my diet, I feel sooooo much better. I always thought it was the fat that was causing me problems. Well, I'm eating MORE fat now since I'm doing low carb/high protien and high fat. I'm having less episodes of diarrhea.

Same here. I had my gallbladder removed in December 2013 and had constant diarrhea and tummy aches since then. Hey presto, low carb and all the issues are gone. I upped my carbs for a few days at easter and all the tummy troubles returned.
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    :/:/
    kdt000 wrote: »
    I had the same issues for about a year after mine was taken out. I went to a GI doc, he put me on a cholesterol medicine to help bind the excess bile and it's solved the problem for the most part. He said it's a common issue.

Same thing happened to me. Had mine out about 5 years ago. The first year every morning as soon as I ate anything I had to run to the bathroom. On vacation was the worse!! I always had to make sure I went to the bathroom before I left the restuarant. My Hubby just got used to my routines.
    About a year later my Doctor put me on cholesterol medication to reduce my cholesterol and almost imediately my diarrhea was over. I told him about this the next time I went for my check-up and he said that he had several patients that had told him that but never explained why or how it worked. I still have times when something I eat, usually fatty food, causes me diarrhea but pretty much my problems are solved.
  • SquashedBanana
    SquashedBanana Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 4 years ago and have frequent-but-unpredictable issues with digestion. (Diarrhea and acid reflux, but I had reflux problems before my surgery, too.) I'm still trying to figure out my own trigger foods but I think what helps me is consistent eating habits. If my diet is poor but consistently poor over the course of weeks/months, I seldom have issues. When I started cleaning up my eating habits last fall and integrating more fruits and veggies after a year of bad habits, I had issues until my body got used to it. During this time, I upped my healthy fat intake significantly and decreased my refined carb intake -- based on this, I don't think fat bothers me.
  • jodiealgar
    jodiealgar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Had a banana for breakfast this morning and it went straight through me and the cramps I had were the worst I've ever had. I've never had a problem with bananas before? It seems very hit or miss for me with all foods. Even salad goes through me most times. I wish this would end, definitely going to be mentioning medication next time I visit my doctors.