Does Intermittent Fasting cause gas?

Options
I've been burping a LOT the last couple of days (like every 2 minutes) not acid reflux-y kind of burps where it burns just hot air and my aunt thinks it's because I'm doing IF and not eating small meals throughout the entire day. She says that my stomach acid is going crazy all day waiting for food which is why I'm burping. She believes either that or that chewing gum is the problem because my body thinks it's going to be eating something and getting the acid ready when i chew gum. I feel like she is wrong and that I can't "trick my body" or anything. Could it have been the last couple days I just didn't drink enough water or something? Also are there any foods that could cause this kind of excesive burping because this weekend and yesterday (which was the worst day of burping) for easter I had a bunch of foods that I havent eaten since starting my diet/MFP and was curious if those foods or time I was eating (brunch around 1-2pm instead of 6pm like normal) could have played a role in my discomfort.

(Also posted this in the IF group just looking for more answers)

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Not in my experience.

What else are you doing differently? Eating a bunch of food you don't normally eat could make you burp. Certain foods are more burp-causing than others.

I've also found that protein shakes/smoothies made in the blender cause me to burp a lot because so much air gets mixed in.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Swallowing air whilst you chew gum? Eating too fast when you do eat and swallowing air? Not chewing food properly? Maybe IF isn't for you. I never noticed excess gas when I did IF.