Fitting clothes post weight loss... need advice

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
So my clothes are the right size, but not really the exact right shape any more. I weigh 123, am five three, wear a size 8. All my pants are starting to slip down in the back. I have a nice round butt, however there used to be an accumulation of fat to the sides of the small of my back, over the wings of the pelvis more or less. This has burned away and now when I sit down or bend over my pants try to slide down, including the Champion workout capris!!! I'm pretty hard to fit for pants due to having thick quads so I can't be as picky as I would like. Does anyone have any luck regarding altering existing clothes to deal with a problem like this? Should I sew a piece of elastic into the small of the back of all the pants? Any experience and advice appreciated.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced that necessarily. I would suggest maybe shopping different brands, styles and sizes. There are so many cuts of pants that surely you could find one that would fit your body type properly.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I probably should put in the effort. I hate shopping with a purple passion tho, I admit that! I wish I could be one of those ppl who enjoys it and finds it exciting!
  • Kate5283kate
    Kate5283kate Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Don't sell yourself short - you can absolutely be as picky as you want, and look fantastic! If your pants fit the widest part of you (your hips?), and are loose in the waist, a tailor can quickly and easily fix it - the lady at my dry cleaner will do it for about $15. I wouldn't sew a piece of elastic in - the pants are just going to bunch up around it. It's not super cheap, but I'd rather have a few really great fitting pairs of pants than one more pair of baggy ones that I yank up all day.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I'll have to see what tailors charge locally. I haven't got much money but I don't suppose I have to have them all done at once.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I'll have to see what tailors charge locally. I haven't got much money but I don't suppose I have to have them all done at once.

Yeah, check and see if it's worth it. You might be able to pay double for a brand new pair of beautiful jeans, and if you splurge a little and buy high quality-you really only need one, two pairs tops. My favorite for smaller waists and larger thighs is Paige. Sometimes you can get them at tj maxx type stores marked down to $60.00
  • CS0303
    CS0303 Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We are a similar body type, height, weight etc... I found some good jeans at Target called Denizen they are made by Levis, they have them in short and curvy also, which helps since they are tighter on the waist but stretchy enough for my thighs. A little more forgiving than other brands and seems like they run a little bigger. Also, they are not very expensive, around $25.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I believe I have the problem you're talking about. I'm about 5'3", 135 pounds (lots of muscle) and I wear a size 4 or 6. I've always had big thighs but my hips aren't overly large. There's a big gap at the small of my back for many of the pants I try on. I can literally fit my fist long-ways between the waistband of the pants and my back and the fabric is still loose. I can't buy pants unless I try them on first or I'll almost always end up returning them.

I've mostly been sticking to pants labeled as "curvy". These types of pants are about a size smaller in the waist than they are in the hips and that seems to solve the problem for me. Eddie Bauer carries a curvy line as does Old Navy (Sweetheart), Levi's and Target. I'm sure other stores do, too.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    We are a similar body type, height, weight etc... I found some good jeans at Target called Denizen they are made by Levis, they have them in short and curvy also which helps since they are tighter on the waist but stretchy enough for my thighs. Not expensive, about $25 maybe try on a pair.

+1. I got a pair of "curvy fit" denizens in size 8 tall (because.. I am) and they fit like a dream without a belt. I almost always wear belts. They are very stretchy, so they will get crappier over time, but you can't beat $19-25 for jeans.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I love the Denizen curvy jeans. My waist measurement is much smaller than my hip measurement. I always look for "curvy" jeans. If not, I get that gap & my pants slide down. Another brand that works for me is Riders by Lee, Mid Rise. They're cheap from Walmart.
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm overweight I have always had issues with pants because my hips and butt are way larger than my waist. I've found that stretchy pants help but sometimes you have to take in the waist. Higher rises also tend to help some.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Great, thanks guys! That gives me something to look for.