your favorite way to cook turnips, please

Options
peachezncreme
peachezncreme Posts: 60 Member
I've eaten them once, but someone else cooked them. The were part of a stew. They were delicious and now I want to make them more often, but I don't know how to cook them. Or even how prepare them for cooking. Do they need to be pealed?

Replies

• shana4169
    shana4169 Posts: 7
    Options
    I peel them First. I use them in place of potatoes. I make faux mashed potatoes using cauliflower and turnips. I also love roasting them like potatoes!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3975261273/roasted-turnips
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Things to do with Turnips:

1.Peel, slice into fairly thin rounds, boil till tender, drain, and serve with butter.

2. Peel, slice into matchstick size (start by slicing into thin rounds, then slice up the rounds). Peel and slice an equal amount of carrots. Mix together, steam, and serve as a side dish.

3. Peel, boil, mash, add butter, cinnamon, and perhaps a bit of low glycemic sweetener like agave nectar or coconut chrystals.

4. Peel, chop into cubes, and add to a stir fry (with any other vegetables you liek, and perhaps some egg or rice).

5. Use cubes in any soup or stew or pot pie.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Just had some recently. I had mine cooked with the tops (Turnip Greens). Peel, wash, quartered, place in with greens with about 20-30 minutes cooking time left. Also, I like turnips peeled and boiled in water with a little olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, mashed. Also, put in a veggie or bean stew.
  • Mseleanor1
    Mseleanor1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Peel and chop into 1 cm cubes, do the same with carrots peel and chop into cubes. Boil for about 15 mins or until they are soft then mash with a little butter
  • bakeralison1
    bakeralison1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I made a souffle with them once cause I had some leftover mashed in the fridge. I thought it was pretty good, the recipe was something like this and I just used skim milk/chicken stock in the roux.
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cup whole milk, warmed
    4 large egg yolks
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
    5 large egg whites
    Kosher salt, as needed
    1 cup overseasoned cooked vegetables, chopped

Preparation
    1.n a small saucepan, melt 2 ½ tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and whisk in warm milk. Return to heat and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.2.In a small bowl, whisk yolks. Whisking constantly, dribble yolks into the saucepan until they are completely incorporated. Scrape mixture into a large bowl and cool to room temperature.3.Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 1 ½-quart soufflé dish with remaining ½ tablespoon butter and sprinkle the bottom and sides evenly with cheese. 4.In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks but are not dry. Fold a third of the whites into yolk mixture to lighten it, then fold in remaining whites. Gently fold in vegetables. 5.Immediately scrape mixture into prepared dish. Transfer to oven and bake until puffed, golden and slightly firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. Do not open the oven door during baking. Serve immediately
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

1. They're fertile and make great compost.

2. Feed to your pet rabbit

3. Heckling a poor performance
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

My algebra teacher used to call the class turnips...
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My algebra teacher used to call the class turnips...

It was my nickname for_Dani_D :cry:
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

This. Turnips are one of the only foods I just can't stand. I do like the greens though, just cooked like any other kind of leafy cooking greens.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Love the soufflé. My family calls it turnip puff. We add nutmeg to ours and if turnip is to strong you can half it with purée carrots to sweeten it.