Going Organic: Results

Options

Replies

• 08robyngreen
    08robyngreen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    you should look into the dirty dozen (foods you should always try and buy organic) and the clean 15 (foods that you never have to buy organic.

also, look into what words like organic, free range, and all natural mean in the grocery store and even the pharmacy. sometimes they're just buzz words to get you to pay 15% more.

Thank you I have actually looked at both. We actually look more for the Non-GMO labels than we look for organic, but I believe most if not all foods at Whole Foods Market is organic. We made a switch to organic non-gmo due to a study that resulted in increased kidney damage, inflammation, digestion issues, and cancer rates in animals fed GMOs. I know there are people that have extreme views for or against Organic non GMO and I thought maybe some people on Myfitnesspal would have some insight as too why they tried going organic and why they ultimately switched back aside from money issues.

Which study are you referring to?

There was a study conducted by Gilles-Eric Seralini of the University of Caen, it was the first long term study that I could find on the effects of GMOs. If you know of any long term studies related to GMO's (not just organic) please list them. I could only find short term studies that prove that GMO's have no negative side effects. Most of the study results on GMO's were never posted.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I personally try to eat as much organic as I can afford or get from local "beyond organic" farms that have just not been able to afford the organic certification but they are just as good if not holding themselves to a higher standard. I don't think one should do this and expect any major results physically, although longterm you would reduce your exposure to toxins so I would hope there would be a positive change in your health. For me this is more of a sustainability/protect the environment/help local farmers issue. One thing you should definately do, though, is switch to grass fed/finished and pastured meats and wild caught seafood as well as raw full fat dairy. You absolutely will feel better eating these foods as the omega 3 to 6 ratio is correct for our bodies to handle and you will get crucial fat solutable vitamin A, D, K2, etc in thier most bioavailable forms. It is incorrect that plant sources of many vitamins are just as good because our body has to convert them to the most bioavailable form (like flax is never going to be as good as eating wild caught fish for omega 3). Our bodies are not good at doing this conversion and are only equipted to do it as a backup when the best source is not available. You are best spending your money on quality meat and fish.
  • loganrandy69
    loganrandy69 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    you should look into the dirty dozen (foods you should always try and buy organic) and the clean 15 (foods that you never have to buy organic.

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/why-you-shouldnt-buy-organic-based-on-the-dirty-dozen-1689190822

• 08robyngreen
    Options
    I personally try to eat as much organic as I can afford or get from local "beyond organic" farms that have just not been able to afford the organic certification but they are just as good if not holding themselves to a higher standard. I don't think one should do this and expect any major results physically, although longterm you would reduce your exposure to toxins so I would hope there would be a positive change in your health. For me this is more of a sustainability/protect the environment/help local farmers issue. One thing you should definately do, though, is switch to grass fed/finished and pastured meats and wild caught seafood as well as raw full fat dairy. You absolutely will feel better eating these foods as the omega 3 to 6 ratio is correct for our bodies to handle and you will get crucial fat solutable vitamin A, D, K2, etc in thier most bioavailable forms. It is incorrect that plant sources of many vitamins are just as good because our body has to convert them to the most bioavailable form (like flax is never going to be as good as eating wild caught fish for omega 3). Our bodies are not good at doing this conversion and are only equipted to do it as a backup when the best source is not available. You are best spending your money on quality meat and fish.

Thank you for the suggestions, we have recently made the switch to grass fed/hormone free meats; however, we have not looked for raw unpasteurized dairy yet. We want to look into it more due to our children's pediatrician not recommending unpasteurized dairy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/why-you-shouldnt-buy-organic-based-on-the-dirty-dozen-1689190822

good info. i had forgotten that organic farms do allow for pesticides. but honestly, i never knew about that rating system.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

also, look into what words like organic, free range, and all natural mean in the grocery store and even the pharmacy. sometimes they're just buzz words to get you to pay 15% more.

Thank you I have actually looked at both. We actually look more for the Non-GMO labels than we look for organic, but I believe most if not all foods at Whole Foods Market is organic. We made a switch to organic non-gmo due to a study that resulted in increased kidney damage, inflammation, digestion issues, and cancer rates in animals fed GMOs. I know there are people that have extreme views for or against Organic non GMO and I thought maybe some people on Myfitnesspal would have some insight as too why they tried going organic and why they ultimately switched back aside from money issues.

There was a study conducted by Gilles-Eric Seralini of the University of Caen, it was the first long term study that I could find on the effects of GMOs. If you know of any long term studies related to GMO's (not just organic) please list them. I could only find short term studies that prove that GMO's have no negative side effects. Most of the study results on GMO's were never posted.

Are you talking about this, now retracted, study? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Séralini_affair
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    10364212_1656693281223136_2932002839633563011_n.jpg?oh=2facef26c56e480d96b7174b2a012020&oe=55AD0A1A
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Has your family made the switch to eat only Organic (Non-GMO) foods.

GMO can be organic. Are you talking one, the other, or both?

• 08robyngreen
    Options

Are you talking about this, now retracted, study? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Séralini_affair

The study I researched was not on Wikipedia although it may be referring to the some study. I don't consider Wikipedia to be a valid source of information. Although I will say the study was called "controversial" and there is about a 50 50 view on whether the study is valid similar to most studies that involve any data on GMOs.

Either way this is not a debate for me, I just wanted to hear others opinion on whether they experienced any health benefits from eating organic non GMO. Do you have any benefits from switching to organic that you can speak of? Or reasons why you switched back to Non organic aside from money related reasons?
  • 08robyngreen
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Non-GMO/Organic. I look for food labeled Non-GMO, I try to shop in the organic section because there is a lot more food labeled non-GMO. Basically I avoid foods that contain added hormones, pesticides, and herbicides.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Non-GMO/Organic. I look for food labeled Non-GMO, I try to shop in the organic section because there is a lot more food labeled non-GMO. Basically I avoid foods that contain added hormones, pesticides, and herbicides.

You realize that organic farming also uses pesticides and herbicides, right?

• janejellyroll
    Options

The study I researched was not on Wikipedia although it may be referring to the some study. I don't consider Wikipedia to be a valid source of information. Although I will say the study was called "controversial" and there is about a 50 50 view on whether the study is valid similar to most studies that involve any data on GMOs.

Either way this is not a debate for me, I just wanted to hear others opinion on whether they experienced any health benefits from eating organic non GMO. Do you have any benefits from switching to organic that you can speak of? Or reasons why you switched back to Non organic aside from money related reasons?

The Wikipedia article is a summary of the controversy related to the study that you referenced. I understand that you don't consider Wikipedia a valid source of information, but you can easily follow the references included at the end of the article for more information about how the study was discredited. The rats used in the study were rats with abnormally high cancer rates normally (80% of males and 70% of females develop cancer under normal conditions) and this was not properly adjusted for within the study. Marion Nestle, who is strongly in favor of GMO-labeling and certainly no industry stooge, has said she is skeptical of the study. Within the study data itself, it was noted that rats who ate MORE GMO-food (33%) actually had lower cancer rates than some of the other rats (who ate 11% GMO-food). The lack of a response to dose throws the study into question, as does the overall small number of rats involved.

The publication of the study was retracted by the publisher and those involved have not been able to find another peer reviewed journal willing to publish their information. No peer reviewed study has ever duplicated the findings. There is not a "50 50 view" on whether the study is valid. The study is clearly insufficient.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

To answer your questions: I observed no difference in my health when I ate organic. I switched back because the price was high and I was unable to locate sufficient resources to determine that eating organic was actually better for us. I also have doubts that organic farming is sustainable to feed the world, so there was a political component to the decision to switch back.
  • loganrandy69
    loganrandy69 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Basically I avoid foods that contain added hormones, pesticides, and herbicides.

Food labeled "organic" is not pesticide / herbicide free. It. Is. Not.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=9874504b6f1025eb0e6b67cadf9d3b40&rgn=div6&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7&idno=7

• 08robyngreen
    Options
    If anyone has any noticeable health benefits that they can speak of related to switching to eating all organic foods or foods that are GMO free. Please share.

I will not debate GMO vs. Non-GMOs or Organic vs. Non-Organic with anyone. Everyone has their opinion there are not enough studies to support either side. All I'm asking is whether anyone has experienced a noticeable change from switching.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    If anyone has any noticeable health benefits that they can speak of related to switching to eating all organic foods or foods that are GMO free. Please share.

I will not debate GMO vs. Non-GMOs or Organic vs. Non-Organic with anyone. Everyone has their opinion there are not enough studies to support either side. All I'm asking is whether anyone has experienced a noticeable change from switching.

We all do have opinions. What is important are the facts that we are using to back up those opinions. Those aren't irrelevant, even if you would like for them to be.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you don't want scientific studies? you'd rather have n=1 anecdotal evidence from some random person claiming that they feel better after having made the switch to organics?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    No because unnecessary.

And @janejellyroll we sometimes buy oranges labeled organic and the only benefit I've noticed is they tend to taste better. But that's solely because they are small(er). When I make sure to buy non-organic but still small-sized oranges (or apples) they also tend to taste better. Same with tomatoes.

Still not going to buy organic.

I have had some organic berries that tasted much better and I wasn't sure why. Now that you mention it, I think it was because they were smaller than the mega-berries that I typically buy. Awesome observation.

It's ESPECIALLY true with tomatoes, such that if my dad buys really big tomatoes I'll likely not eat them or will use them up in recipes instead of eaten plain. Seems to also be the case for bananas too, although I haven't noticed a HUGE difference for those. Bananas aren't my favourite though anyways so maybe that's why I don't notice it as much :p
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The Seralini paper is attention-whoring junk and a disgrace to "science".

IME, picking at peak of ripeness has far more effect on flavour than organic/non-organic for berries, tomatoes, etc. I have numerous friends who run organic farms, and I support them, but there really are no meaningful nutritional or physiological differences between Organic/non-organic.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Well I tried to find an article in my school's database about the consumption of organic vs non-organic (or "conventional) food on health. I'm too lazy to go through a whole bunch of hits that includes mostly irrelevant (not related to actual health differences) so I'll just post the first one that seemed relevant to this discussion

Title: A comparison of the nutritional quality of organic and conventional ready-to-eat breakfast cereals based on NuVal scores.
    The abstract: "ObjectiveTo identify whether there were differences in nutritional quality between organic and conventional ready-to-eat breakfast cereals of similar types, based on NuVal scores.DesignThe current descriptive study analysed NuVal scores for 829 ready-to-eat breakfast cereals and eighteen different cereal types. ANOVA was used to compare the mean NuVal scores of 723 conventional cereals with those of 106 organic cereals.SettingReady-to-eat breakfast cereals (n 829) with NuVal scores.SubjectsNot applicable.ResultsThere was no significant difference in NuVal scores between conventional (mean 28·4 (sd 13·4)) and organic (mean 30·6 (sd 13·2)) cereal types.ConclusionsConsumers who choose the organic version of a ready-to-eat breakfast cereal believing that nutritional quality is superior may not be making a valid assumption. Public health nutrition educators must help consumers understand that organic cereals are not necessarily more nutritious and their consumption could result in excessive intake of undesirable nutrients, such as fat, sugar and sodium. "