How many extra calories does pan frying/sautéing add?

Options
2sweet4sugar34
2sweet4sugar34 Posts: 25 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
If I'm cooking something on the stove top, and I add 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil, how many extra calories does that add? Would it have the same amount of calories raw, just with the oil added or would it have more than that? I'm confused by all of this and have been eating raw or boiled for the past week because I don't want to be eating more calories than I think.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I just count the calories for whatever I add to the pan to sautee...so I would add the calories for the coconut oil you are adding. Oil doesn't evaporate, it gets absorbed into the food typically so you do consume it.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I just checked the calorie database and a Tablespoon of coconut oil is 120 calories (Trader Joes brand)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I just count the calories for whatever I add to the pan to sautee...so I would add the calories for the coconut oil you are adding. Oil doesn't evaporate, it gets absorbed into the food typically so you do consume it.

+1

Look at my diary yesterday - I cooked scrambled eggs with cheese and milk. You will see a tablespoon (measured out, of course) of canola oil. That's what I used to grease the pan.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Better to overestimate calories than underestimate. I assume that I'm eating all of the oil I use to cook in, so add the full calories of whatever oil you're using. If you're cooking for more than one, split up the calories by the number of servings.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I add the calories from the oil or whatever else I add. That's probably a little more than is actually in the finished food, but no harm from overcounting a bit.

Don't worry about cooking changing the calorie count, but if you weigh the food make sure you use an entry that is for the food in the state you weighed it (if you weigh raw, use a raw entry (ideal), if you weigh cooked, find one that refers to pan frying or dry heat cooking or the like).