Gym time in nice weather months?

Options
Was wondering how many of you all continue to go to the gym in the nice months of the year? It is so nice here now that I am thinking of dropping my membership till the fall/winter months again. I hate to be inside the gym working out when it is so nice outside. I do walk on my lunch hour at work outside and if bad weather inside the office. I was also going do bike riding for my cardio instead of the gym's elliptical. As far as strength training, I have some free weights at home and strength bands and can do other body weight workouts instead of gym weights and weight machines. Luckily my gym doesn't have a contract so I can stop at anytime, I just have to let them know a few days before they take the payment out for the following month.

Replies

• thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I go all year round. I go early in the morning to beat the gym traffic, and so that after work in the summer months, I can sit on a floatie in the pool with an ice cold beverage in my hand, and not worry about my workout.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am actually considering going for one reason....air conditioning.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I still keep my gym membership because I lift. I just end up doing my cardio/rest days outside so I'm not there as often. I also start walking on my lunch breaks which is great!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Since my gym gives me access to my coaches, I'm there all the time. And with my allergies, I'd still want to be inside most of the summer anyways.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I am actually considering going for one reason....air conditioning.

Texas summers are BRUTAL! Mainly though -- I go to the gym for classes and exercise/weight machines but I usually do my runs outside.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, but the squat rack is INSIDE.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I pay annually and have a YMCA membership for my family, so we have other benefits than just the gym portion. Plus, it gets insanely hot and sometimes rainy/stormy in the Midwest in the spring/summer, so it's good to have that option to go to the gym.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to the gym, there were people who disappeared over the summer to be outside. Then there were a smaller group that would show up because they wanted to look good for the summer. Different ways of looking at it.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. Yes the ac is nice but I have noticed at my gym on the nice days it is hot and stuffy in there already. My gym is small with no classes. My other gym had lots of classes and pools for workout classes too so I went all year round. I haven't decided what to do. I am afraid if I am not paying out that $30 a month it won't motivate me to bike alot. Best intentions don't work so good sometimes!
    Thanks again!
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »
    Ummmm, but the squat rack is INSIDE.

This.

I'll be doing all of my cardio outdoors, though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Considering that I only use the gym for weight training, yes...I only use the gym for cardio when the weather is really *kitten*...and it really has to be *kitten* outside for me to take it indoors.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have considered moving my squat rack outside to be honest..in the summer anyway...under a carport...I think the neighbours for have a fit......

I do prefer to be outside however for my cardio even if I sweat my butt off....I live in the east and with the winter we've had I want to be outside as much as possible while there is no snow... :p
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I can get a much better workout during the workweek at the gym than outside anytime of the year. On the nicer weekends or holidays, yeah, I'll probably be more likely to be out hiking or kayaking.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    While everyone is outside playing, I'm in the gym gaining.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I workout when DD has swim practice, so the time of year is irrelevant. I'm a taxi service when it's snowing a blizzard, sweltering hot or when the weather is perfect for a walk - it's either workout or sit around reading/watching DD churning up and down the pool and become a slob.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    my schedule inside remains the same...but i get to add the outdoor pool and outdoor hot tub to the mix. love it.