Advice with eating clean while moving!!!

Options
Hey everyone! I'm moving and I'm going to be going back and forth from city to city over next couple weeks. Any tips or advice on eating clean when I know I won't have that much time to cook in bulk. Any advice would help a lot!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Don't be too worried about eating clean. Aiming for an 80% "healthy" diet and staying within your calories is good. I would probably take advantage of supermarket salads and premade foods if I had a few hectic weeks ahead. You could go and buy a few days' worth of foods and just reheat them when necessary.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I Just went through a move myself over the past 5 days and I agree, unless you have time to cook while moving (which more power to you if you do) I would use the time as a semi-deload period. Move boxes and furniture, throwing away junk, last minute shopping and etc, it's going to be even harder to even eat enough to meet your calories you needs clean while on the go. Just make sure you don't over indulge in junk and you should be fine and pick up from scratch when you are settled (similar to what you are doing with the move haha.)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Wash your hands before eating.
    If you can't do that, use the alcohol gel stuff.
    Seriously, that's the only kind of 'clean' you need to worry about.
    (Also, 'clean' means so many different things to different people, it's pretty much meaningless.)

What will your accomodations be? Will you have a fridge? Microwave?

If you're wanting to eat more unprocessed or less-processed food, how about keeping some on hand in both places?
    There are plenty of things which don't need to be cooked, or take minimal prep time, and will hold well.
    Most can be picked up quickly at the local grocery. Some can be made in a large batch at your current kitchen.

Have a ziplock of hard-boiled eggs both places. Cheese & crackers (yeah, they're processed).
    Have some peanut butter to go with those crackers too. Make sure you have a knife both places.
    A bowl of fruit, bag of baby carrots, pre-cooked chicken breasts (poach a large batch of them one evening while
    you're packing), maybe even make a pasta (or whole grain) salad with chopped up chicken & lots of veggies, put it
    in gallon ziplocks, make sure you have a spoon both places.
    Pick up some yogurt to go with the fruit for breakfast, maybe add some dry oatmeal for texture.
    Have that oatmeal warm for breakfast, with some nuts & a chopped up apple or some raisins. That can be done in a microwave.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wash your food.
  • Acebreezy_
    Acebreezy_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for tips everyone!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not what you expected I am sure.

If you want nutrient dense easy to eat food try the following

bag of baby carrots, grapes (fruit in general), pick up a salad with grilled chicken (DQ has a great one) or go get a grilled burger. Hot wings aren't bad either btw.

gogurts are good (yogurt on the go) add in some granola or grapenuts.

Protein shakes/smoothies are always good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just eat food and make sure you hit your calorie/macro/micro targets and don't worry about how "clean" it is….
  • Acebreezy_
    Acebreezy_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm thinking of just stopping by store and picking up pre made meals and salads. And have fruits with me. And just try to ht my macro goals. I know I might slip here and there but I'm gonna stay strong and keep it up
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Define ... "clean"

HINT: You don't need it.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Moving stinks. I'm looking at a moving myself at the end of June. From my last experience moving, eating healthy did not happen a lot of the time. The biggest hurdle was just finding the cooking ware and dishes. This time around, I'm planning on keeping track of a couple of my go to cookware, maybe my non-stick skillet and a sauce pan. Oh, and a stirring spoon and spatula would be handy, too. I think I'll stick them in my suitcase with my last few changes of clothes and toiletries.

You can make some pretty decent meals with a supermarket rotisserie chicken. My personal favorite is a strawberry chicken salad. Start with some salad greens. Top with chopped chicken, walnuts, and goat cheese. Finish with a vinaigrette dressing (I like Brianna's Blush Wine Vinaigrette).

Chicken sausage comes in various flavors and is fully cooked, so it just requires reheating. Al Fresco is the brand I see all the time. I'll stir it into pasta or rice along with some veggies and spices for flavor.

My other trick for being on the road is to keep a bag of apples with me. They keep well, don't require refrigeration, and can be grabbed and eaten as is. A bag of mixed nuts would be another good snack to keep around.

Good luck!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    What types of food to you eat now? What are your most common, every day meals and snacks? If you give us an idea of how you currently eat we can probably be more helpful with suggestions to continue those meals during this short-term moving you'll be doing.