How to get enough nutrition with a naturally low appetite?

Options
How to get enough macronutrients with a naturally low appetite? Ever since I lost a lot of weight my appetite has been less than half of what it used to be. I get full quicker which I guess is helpful in my opinion except the fact that I probably am not getting enough macronutrients. I'm not good at measuring requirements. I'm 5'6 and 125 and workout 5 days a week so I'm not sure what exactly my daily requirements are but I highly doubt I'm getting the needed amount of all of them.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    are you tracking here? that should tell you if you are getting your macros in.

As for increase in appetite try using different foods, spices etc. Appetite vs hunger can be tricky.

If you still can't seem to do it find higher calorie foods like oils and fats to add in to your diet. Eat steak or pork instead of chicken, eat bacon on that burger with cheese...it's easy to get calories and macros in without a huge appetite.
  • sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    High fiber, lots of veggies, fruits, and complex carbs and protein. People always say fruits bad because of the sugar, but its natural sugar and good for you! I say its so much better to binge on a big delicious bowl of watermelon than a tub of icecream! Plus the high water content makes you feel fuller while hydrating you at the same time.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you are 5'6" and only 125 pounds, I would hope you are not trying to lose weight, but simply to maintain, as that is a very healthy weight for your height. If you enter this info into MFP, it should tell you how many calories you need, and what amount of each nutrient to aim for. Once you know these numbers, you can try including nutrient dense foods that you don't have to eat a ton of to get the energy you need from! For example, peanut butter is a nutrient dense food ( as are nuts in general). Just a couple tablespoons of peanut butter gives you a great amount of protein, healthy fats, and will help you reach your calorie goal. Plus, it's not super filling, so you can easily eat enough of it to get what you need!

Also, just a quick thought... if you have had a significant appetite change for no particular reason, you may want to just consult your doctor and make sure everything is ok and working properly, as sometimes a significant appetite change can be a symptom of certain illnesses.
  • KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you are 5'6" and only 125 pounds, I would hope you are not trying to lose weight, but simply to maintain, as that is a very healthy weight for your height. If you enter this info into MFP, it should tell you how many calories you need, and what amount of each nutrient to aim for. Once you know these numbers, you can try including nutrient dense foods that you don't have to eat a ton of to get the energy you need from! For example, peanut butter is a nutrient dense food ( as are nuts in general). Just a couple tablespoons of peanut butter gives you a great amount of protein, healthy fats, and will help you reach your calorie goal. Plus, it's not super filling, so you can easily eat enough of it to get what you need!

Also, just a quick thought... if you have had a significant appetite change for no particular reason, you may want to just consult your doctor and make sure everything is ok and working properly, as sometimes a significant appetite change can be a symptom of certain illnesses.

Yes I'm going to maintain if I can eat enough. Which is the problem :(
    And sorry for the delay. I saw my doctor by the way. It turns out I have GERD
  • stronghealthywoman
    stronghealthywoman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend looking to juicing because it provides nutrients to your body without actually eating. I would combine doing juicing and smoothies if your appetite is not up for eating solid foods.
  • KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend looking to juicing because it provides nutrients to your body without actually eating. I would combine doing juicing and smoothies if your appetite is not up for eating solid foods.
    thanks

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a red flag alert.