Type 2 diabetic trying to gain weight

Options
2»

Replies

• westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic trying to gain muscle! To gain muscle, you need a *slight* excess of calories along with a good lifting plan. People with no blood-sugar issues generally set their protein and fat #s and keep them steady, then increase/decrease their carb intake to adjust their calorie levels based on their current goal (to gain, lose, or maintain). In contrast, I set my protein and carbs as steady numbers, then adjust my fat intake to bring my calories up or down based on current goals. I add/subtract foods like avocado, almonds, olive oil, egg yolks to adjust my fat numbers. Talk to your dietician about it, mine is on board with the plan and my A1c #'s have been good as well as my daily finger pricks, so I'm healthy.
  • chadluvsrue
    chadluvsrue Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great advice thank you west coast girl !!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    OK, so if you are definitely type 2 and your HbA1C is 4.5%, then do the same thing as everyone else trying to gain muscle. It sounds like you have BG's of a non-diabetic. Since your body isn't acting differently, then why would you treat it differently?

Also, make sure to eat some fast acting carbs (30g more or less) immediately (within a few minutes) after working out to replenish glycogen.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic trying to gain muscle! To gain muscle, you need a *slight* excess of calories along with a good lifting plan. People with no blood-sugar issues generally set their protein and fat #s and keep them steady, then increase/decrease their carb intake to adjust their calorie levels based on their current goal (to gain, lose, or maintain). In contrast, I set my protein and carbs as steady numbers, then adjust my fat intake to bring my calories up or down based on current goals. I add/subtract foods like avocado, almonds, olive oil, egg yolks to adjust my fat numbers. Talk to your dietician about it, mine is on board with the plan and my A1c #'s have been good as well as my daily finger pricks, so I'm healthy.

Winner winner chicken dinner (with skin ON)
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    Lol! Thanks for response and advice! Looks like you know what you are talking about!
  • Crogirl_22
    Crogirl_22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    type 2 diabetes is caused by eating, as your body functions properly.. so if you made the right eating changes at time and you are fine now, just keep the healthy eating, train hard and it will work out .. ;)
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest focusing on increasing fat and protein intake to meet caloric needs and minimizing carbs (obviously). While having increased lean muscle mass will improve your insulin sensitivity, you don't want to put undue stress on your already impaired pancreas while bulking from eating too many carbs. Remember, by the time your A1c first becomes abnormal, you've already lost roughly 50% of the beta cells in your pancreas.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    mjudd1990 wrote: »
    I'd suggest focusing on increasing fat and protein intake to meet caloric needs and minimizing carbs (obviously). While having increased lean muscle mass will improve your insulin sensitivity, you don't want to put undue stress on your already impaired pancreas while bulking from eating too many carbs. Remember, by the time your A1c first becomes abnormal, you've already lost roughly 50% of the beta cells in your pancreas.

Wrong. You are conflating type 1 and type 2, you are using vague data points to come to specific conclusions, and the conclusion is not supported by the data points (even if they were specific).
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Type 1 involves autoimmune attack on beta cells but type 2 does involve loss of beta cell functionality albeit secondary to peripheral insulin resistance. More insulin resistance = pancreas has to secrete more insulin = beta cells burnout. So by the time your blood glucose becomes abnormal it means that your pancreas is unable to secrete sufficient insulin to overcome the resistance. This is the reason why sufonylureas like glyburide are being phased out because while they control blood sugars they just cause your pancreas to burnout sooner.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    mjudd1990 wrote: »
    Type 1 involves autoimmune attack on beta cells but type 2 does involve loss of beta cell functionality albeit secondary to peripheral insulin resistance. More insulin resistance = pancreas has to secrete more insulin = beta cells burnout. So by the time your blood glucose becomes abnormal it means that your pancreas is unable to secrete sufficient insulin to overcome the resistance. This is the reason why sufonylureas like glyburide are being phased out because while they control blood sugars they just cause your pancreas to burnout sooner.

It may be that type 2's lose some beta cells for the reason you describe, but type 2 is usually noticed because of insulin uptake issues long before any beta cells are lost. And it is often noticed because of elevated HbA1C tests... before any loss of beta cells.

Type 1 is an autoimmune disease. Type 2 is a metabolic disorder. Type 2 is an efficiency/absorption/uptake issue and a type 2 will not usually lose 50% of insulin production capacity ever, much less before HbA1C levels are elevated.. Sure, it might be possible, but if we are going to discuss such rare circumstances, let's also consider double diabetes... But let's not actually because it distracts from the point of the thread.
  • Crogirl_22
    Crogirl_22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Type 2 is not an issue about released insulin..the body releases enough insulin..but the cells which where attacked to much with insulin, due to a high carb diet and other lifestyle factors... Got resistant and dont want to accept it just like that anymore..thats the most simple explanation to give sb, if you dont want to go deep into body functions. ;)
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    ;) Lol thank you!