Insane weight gain in 3 days

Options
I've been on a low carb/low fat diet since November. Recently due to depression issues I decided to phase off that plan and into a more balanced diet that gives me what I need for lifting (my fave workout!) and keeps me sane. I slowly upped my calories and increased healthy carbs and all was well, I didn't even see the expected increase on the scale from replenishing glycogen, this process took about 2 weeks with 5 days of increased carbs leading up to my weight on on thursday which had me at 155. I had a few bad days, I continued my workouts, pushing myself pretty hard but my diet was probably only about 40% on point. I wouldn't say I went buckwild or anything, but there was some easter candy, and bread, and stuff I wouldn't normally eat, and two mandarin vodka sodas (my first drinks since November :blush: ). On Saturday morning I weighed myself and I was 170. What?! I know that there's NO way that I gained 15 lbs of fat in 3 days but has anyone else experienced this kind of swing in this short of time? I'm definitely bloated because my clothes are certainly tighter. I'm back to eating clean so hopefully it will go back down in the next week or two? Any insight would be extremely helpful..

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Don't worry.

I'm going to guess that the steady introduction of carbohydrates has increased glycogen storage, and water weight. Low carbing does shed quite a lot of water weight, so you'll probably have an excess of it for a while.

It will go away sooner or later, I'd give it about a week.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water retention due to the increase in carbs. Carbohydrates tend to hold onto a lot of water. Just keep pushing those fluids and getting in your workouts to sweat some of it out. Try not to worry too much about the scale for a little but until your body regulates and gets rid of the water it's holding onto, otherwise it'll just frustrate you!